Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Nicholas Kwiatkowski-2

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Sebastian Mohr-3
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the notice! Why so ever, Adobe bought Macromedia ;)
After Silverlight (XAML) … possibly JavaFx still remains for a while.

Also hoped that there would be an open source
FlashPlayer one day, but, it seems I was mistaken.

Cheers,
Sebastian

On Jul 25, 2017, at 10:02 PM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks like we have a date :
>
> https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html
>
> -Nick

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

I saw it some hours ago, and I must to say it seems very strange to me read
this movement. Let me explain:

Although the world has gone "anti-flash" and the technology has very bad
press to many people that doesn't know really about it, I must to say that
the last months I was very happy with the progress in our company making a
mobile version of our main product.

It took only one to two month make it work in Android and iOS Tablets, and
now we are making some visual changes via media queries to make tablets
more usable. We plan to release this versions after summer.

So this means a very productive and short time to make that versions since
all Apache Flex codebase is valid and we are only "tweaking" some things to
make web and tablets more usable.

I recently buy the new iPad Pro (10'5") and the performance of the Tablet
versions is Awesome. As performant as desktop versions. For us the minimum
version are Tablets from 2014-2015 period.

So, I don't know what you think, but for me it's awesome to see our product
perform greatly and be deployable at last in such environments and with
much less investment that if we go the rewrite route with FlexJS or other
technology. I think for new products created from scratch would be better
to make it in a newer tech, but for legacy, this way is clearly better.

So now in 2017, with phones and tablets with great power that can run flash
player (AIR) Apps, I think continue punishing a great tech is madness, and
making it go EOL is complexly absurd.

I know we can't make anything, since such corporate announcement can't go
backwards, so at least my worries are for:

a) Could go Flash Player the same route as Apache Flex? instead of EOL,
donate it? I think have it here inside Apache Flex would be a great
addition and we could control all the aspects of our project. If not we'll
end with Apache Flex 4.16 having the same sort.

b) I read that Adobe AIR will not be affected and as well Flash Player and
AS3 inside Adobe AIR, but honestly knowing the way Adobe makes things, I
think that's what the say know, but things could change (as they should do)
when they want.

What do you think?

Note: one thing aside and a lesson know for 2010 to present is: Avoid use
*ANYTHING* from Adobe, since you'll end with your investments in the bin.
So Golden Rule for me is: "Avoid all Adobe Products".

Best,

Carlos

--

<http://www.codeoscopic.com>

Carlos Rovira

Director General

M: +34 607 22 60 05

http://www.codeoscopic.com

http://www.avant2.es

Conocenos en 1 minuto! <https://youtu.be/P2IEAYDG5HU>

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Sebastian Mohr-3
Hi Carlos,

does it mean, Adobe AIR will be taken further, and, only
FlashPlayer will be discontinued in 2020? I couldn't find
any information on that Flash update site …

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html

Thanks,
Sebastian

On Jul 25, 2017, at 11:10 PM, Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Conocenos en 1 minuto! <https://youtu.be/P2IEAYDG5HU>
>

> Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario y puede contener
> información privilegiada o confidencial. Si ha recibido este mensaje por
> error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y
> proceda a su destrucción.
>
> De la vigente Ley Orgánica de Protección de Datos (15/1999), le comunicamos
> que sus datos forman parte de un fichero cuyo responsable es CODEOSCOPIC
> S.A. La finalidad de dicho tratamiento es facilitar la prestación del
> servicio o información solicitados, teniendo usted derecho de acceso,
> rectificación, cancelación y oposición de sus datos dirigiéndose a nuestras
> oficinas c/ Paseo de la Habana 9-11, 28036, Madrid con la documentación
> necesaria.

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

The announcements don't specifically call out Adobe AIR -- but reading
through the lines I'm assuming that AIR will be End of Life'd at the same
time, since it is built on the same runtime as the Flash Player.

Alex, do you know if that is the case?

-Nick

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 10:02 PM, Sebastian Mohr <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario y puede contener
> > información privilegiada o confidencial. Si ha recibido este mensaje por
> > error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía
> > proceda a su destrucción.
> >
> > De la vigente Ley Orgánica de Protección de Datos (15/1999), le
> comunicamos
> > que sus datos forman parte de un fichero cuyo responsable es CODEOSCOPIC
> > S.A. La finalidad de dicho tratamiento es facilitar la prestación del
> > servicio o información solicitados, teniendo usted derecho de acceso,
> > rectificación, cancelación y oposición de sus datos dirigiéndose a
> nuestras
> > oficinas c/ Paseo de la Habana 9-11, 28036, Madrid con la documentación
> > necesaria.

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Organet Systems
Hi,

More info about AIR can be found in these forum:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2362234
https://forum.starling-framework.org/topic/air-roadmap-update

Joel

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > información privilegiada o confidencial. Si ha recibido este mensaje
> por
> > > error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma
> vía
> > > proceda a su destrucción.
> > >
> > > De la vigente Ley Orgánica de Protección de Datos (15/1999), le
> > comunicamos
> > > que sus datos forman parte de un fichero cuyo responsable es
> CODEOSCOPIC
> > > S.A. La finalidad de dicho tratamiento es facilitar la prestación del
> > > servicio o información solicitados, teniendo usted derecho de acceso,
> > > rectificación, cancelación y oposición de sus datos dirigiéndose a
> > nuestras
> > > oficinas c/ Paseo de la Habana 9-11, 28036, Madrid con la documentación
> > > necesaria.

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Chris Velevitch
I think it would be great if the flex compiler could generate wasm (
webassembly.org) binary format output (a W3C standard). That way, we could
benefit from keeping our existing code base and still target the browser
and other web targets like electron.

--

Chris
--

Adobe Developers & Designers, Sydney
Topic: TBD
Date: TBA
Details and RSVP on http://www.meetup.com/Adobe-developers-designers-sydney/

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Harbs
It’s been discussed before, and many of us think it’s an interesting avenue to explore.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3257d429b573baad48e401e01e4fda5a3ef02557f7640d4c9becd274@%3Cdev.flex.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3257d429b573baad48e401e01e4fda5a3ef02557f7640d4c9becd274@%3Cdev.flex.apache.org%3E>

Harbs

> On Jul 26, 2017, at 8:40 AM, Chris Velevitch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think it would be great if the flex compiler could generate wasm (
> webassembly.org) binary format output (a W3C standard). That way, we could
> benefit from keeping our existing code base and still target the browser
> and other web targets like electron.
>
> On 26 July 2017 at 12:41, Joel Tan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> More info about AIR can be found in these forum:
>> https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2362234
>> https://forum.starling-framework.org/topic/air-roadmap-update
>>
>> Joel
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The announcements don't specifically call out Adobe AIR -- but reading
>>> through the lines I'm assuming that AIR will be End of Life'd at the same
>>> time, since it is built on the same runtime as the Flash Player.
>>>
>>> Alex, do you know if that is the case?
>>>
>>> -Nick

>>> [hidden email]>

>> me

>>> bad
>>> making

>> Tablets,
>> tablets

>>> things

>>> Tablet

>> with
>>> other
>>> better
>> better.

>> madness,

>> can't
>>> go

>> EOL,

>> Player
>> things,
>> should

>>> use
>>> bin.

>> flash-update.html

>>> contener
>>> por
>>> vía

>>> CODEOSCOPIC
>> documentación
>>>>

> --
>

> Chris
> --
> Chris Velevitch
> Manager - Adobe Developers & Designers, Sydney
> m: 0415 469 095
>
> Adobe Developers & Designers, Sydney
> Topic: TBD
> Date: TBA
> Details and RSVP on http://www.meetup.com/Adobe-developers-designers-sydney/

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Carlos Rovira
Agree, WebAssembly could be a game changer

About AIR. Adobe AIR is not affected, but we need to wait until they show
us it's own Flash Player Runtime roadmap,

What I expect to see there is they support Flash in AIR and they only wants
to remove Flash from the browser. That would be the best option for us
(inside this bad news)

Hope they pronounce as soon as possible

thanks

> It’s been discussed before, and many of us think it’s an interesting
> avenue to explore.
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3257d429b573baad48e401e01e4fda
> 5a3ef02557f7640d4c9becd274@%3Cdev.flex.apache.org%3E <
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3257d429b573baad48e401e01e4fda
> 5a3ef02557f7640d4c9becd274@%3Cdev.flex.apache.org%3E>
>
> Harbs
>
> > On Jul 26, 2017, at 8:40 AM, Chris Velevitch <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I think it would be great if the flex compiler could generate wasm (
> > webassembly.org) binary format output (a W3C standard). That way, we
> could
> > benefit from keeping our existing code base and still target the browser
> > and other web targets like electron.
> >
> > On 26 July 2017 at 12:41, Joel Tan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> More info about AIR can be found in these forum:
> >> https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2362234
> >> https://forum.starling-framework.org/topic/air-roadmap-update
> >>
> >> Joel

> same

> >> me

> >> Tablets,
> >> tablets

> >> with
> >> better.

> >> madness,

> >> can't

> >> EOL,

> >> Player
> >> things,
> >> should

> >> flash-update.html

> >> documentación
> >>>>

> > --
> >

> > Chris
> > --
> > Chris Velevitch
> > Manager - Adobe Developers & Designers, Sydney
> > m: 0415 469 095
> >
> > Adobe Developers & Designers, Sydney
> > Topic: TBD
> > Date: TBA
> > Details and RSVP on http://www.meetup.com/Adobe-
> developers-designers-sydney/

--

<http://www.codeoscopic.com>

Carlos Rovira

Director General

M: +34 607 22 60 05

http://www.codeoscopic.com

http://www.avant2.es

Conocenos en 1 minuto! <https://youtu.be/P2IEAYDG5HU>

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Jeffry Houser

  It was posted on the users forum [and a half dozen times on the Hacker
News Thread about this]:

https://forum.starling-framework.org/topic/air-roadmap-update

  Adobe AIR is not at EOL; only the Flash Player Browser Plugin.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
203-379-0773

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Deepak MS
Let's say Adobe releases final version of flash player version 35 for
instance, by end of 2019, without further maintenance or development of the
plugin. Will this version continue to stay forever, whether or not users
want to use it or is it that flash player will be blocked by browsers
themselves? It isn't clear in the article. Or did I miss it?

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 1:32 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks like we have a date :
>
> https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html
>
> -Nick

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

clintm
I remember reading that browsers won't be supporting after that.

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 6:19 AM, Deepak MS <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Let's say Adobe releases final version of flash player version 35 for
> instance, by end of 2019, without further maintenance or development of the
> plugin. Will this version continue to stay forever, whether or not users
> want to use it or is it that flash player will be blocked by browsers
> themselves? It isn't clear in the article. Or did I miss it?
>

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 1:32 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Looks like we have a date :
> >
> > https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html
> >
> > -Nick

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Josh Tynjala
Browsers are definitely planning to remove all support for the Flash Player
plugin on or before 2020.

- Josh

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks like we have a date :
>
> https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html
>
> -Nick

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Jeffry Houser
  For legacy applications or archival purposes, you'll probably want to
keep an installer for the Flash Player and/or older browsers.  So they
can be reset up on an old machine, or in a VM. Browsers, for the most
part, have already shut down their plugin APIs.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
203-379-0773

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

flex capacitor
Microsoft, Google and Firefox have all explicitly disabled FP in the
browser and then faced backlash from users and then they reenabled it.
Remember Microsoft's exclusion list? We read tech blogs and have heard the
news but the average user isn't paying attention or they'll be distracted
around 2020 (by elections).

My opinion is businesses won't move over unless they have to and many of
them don't want to spend the money to. And some companies don't have the
money to.

What if we fork a version of Firefox that continues to support plugins. Get
announcements out to the major tech blogs. Clear up the misconceptions at
the same time. Unity would be down for that and they have major investors.
They were thrown under the bus too.

I had written a paragraph about Googles web team here but to keep it short
they are bias and are trying to make decisions for everyone. Firefox is
following their lead so they somehow don't lose users. When the browsers
makers decide (for everyone) to disable plugins there will be a huge
audience looking for a browser that continues to support them.

At the same time maybe we can put some part of Flex into it like client
side MXML rendering or compiling. I think Alex said the compiler could be
stripped down to 29MB. Almost everyone uses IE to download Chrome or
Firefox. Download size is not a big an issue as it used to be.

HTML, CSS, JS need an upgrade. HTML can be upgraded to MXML (Flex or
FlexJS), CSS in Flex has always been fine for me but it could be upgraded
to SCSS or post CSS (I'm sure there are others). JS is being upgraded to
ES5, 6 slowly but even ES6 still feels less than ES4. That might generate
interest from developers. My 2 cents.

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Jeffry Houser <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>  For legacy applications or archival purposes, you'll probably want to
> keep an installer for the Flash Player and/or older browsers.  So they can
> be reset up on an old machine, or in a VM. Browsers, for the most part,
> have already shut down their plugin APIs.
>

> On 8/14/2017 8:26 AM, Clint M wrote:
>
>> I remember reading that browsers won't be supporting after that.
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 6:19 AM, Deepak MS <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Let's say Adobe releases final version of flash player version 35 for
>>> instance, by end of 2019, without further maintenance or development of
>>> the
>>> plugin. Will this version continue to stay forever, whether or not users
>>> want to use it or is it that flash player will be blocked by browsers
>>> themselves? It isn't clear in the article. Or did I miss it?
>>>

>>> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 1:32 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Looks like we have a date :

> --
> Jeffry Houser
> Technical Entrepreneur
> http://www.dot-com-it.com
> http://www.jeffryhouser.com
> 203-379-0773

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Josh Tynjala
It's best to assume that Adobe is no longer going to provide security
updates for Flash Player in 2020. Do not fork any web browsers to try to
continue supporting Flash Player or other plugins. You will put the
security of your users at great risk. It's not worth it.

The age of browser plugins, and Flash Player on the web, is coming to an
end. It's time to move on. You can migrate your apps to AIR. You can
contribute to FlexJS. The folks working on the spriteflexjs library are
trying to recreate the display list and other flash.* APIs in the browser.
Contribute to those efforts, and you'll be able to keep writing the same
code for the web.

- Josh

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 7:41 AM, flex capacitor <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Microsoft, Google and Firefox have all explicitly disabled FP in the
> browser and then faced backlash from users and then they reenabled it.
> Remember Microsoft's exclusion list? We read tech blogs and have heard the
> news but the average user isn't paying attention or they'll be distracted
> around 2020 (by elections).
>
> My opinion is businesses won't move over unless they have to and many of
> them don't want to spend the money to. And some companies don't have the
> money to.
>
> What if we fork a version of Firefox that continues to support plugins. Get
> announcements out to the major tech blogs. Clear up the misconceptions at
> the same time. Unity would be down for that and they have major investors.
> They were thrown under the bus too.
>
> I had written a paragraph about Googles web team here but to keep it short
> they are bias and are trying to make decisions for everyone. Firefox is
> following their lead so they somehow don't lose users. When the browsers
> makers decide (for everyone) to disable plugins there will be a huge
> audience looking for a browser that continues to support them.
>
> At the same time maybe we can put some part of Flex into it like client
> side MXML rendering or compiling. I think Alex said the compiler could be
> stripped down to 29MB. Almost everyone uses IE to download Chrome or
> Firefox. Download size is not a big an issue as it used to be.
>
> HTML, CSS, JS need an upgrade. HTML can be upgraded to MXML (Flex or
> FlexJS), CSS in Flex has always been fine for me but it could be upgraded
> to SCSS or post CSS (I'm sure there are others). JS is being upgraded to
> ES5, 6 slowly but even ES6 still feels less than ES4. That might generate
> interest from developers. My 2 cents.
>

> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Jeffry Houser <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> >  For legacy applications or archival purposes, you'll probably want to
> > keep an installer for the Flash Player and/or older browsers.  So they
> can
> > be reset up on an old machine, or in a VM. Browsers, for the most part,
> > have already shut down their plugin APIs.
> >

> > On 8/14/2017 8:26 AM, Clint M wrote:
> >
> >> I remember reading that browsers won't be supporting after that.
> >>
> >> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 6:19 AM, Deepak MS <[hidden email]>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> Let's say Adobe releases final version of flash player version 35 for
> users

> > --
> > Jeffry Houser
> > Technical Entrepreneur
> > http://www.dot-com-it.com
> > http://www.jeffryhouser.com
> > 203-379-0773

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Jeffry Houser

  I agree w/ Josh's fear of security problems coming from Flash.

  I wonder if a different sandboxing model for plugins would prevent
security issues?

  However, beyond that I'd encourage the effort.  I think it's a neat
idea that sounds like a big challenge and wish you best of luck with that.

>>> http://www.jeffryhouser.com

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
203-379-0773

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

That is definitely something which I'm all for - We shouldn't waste our time on something which is slowly ending.

We have tremendous opportunity with FlexJS and all stuff related around it to still writing code with pleasure and give customers what they currently want - JS applications.

I encourage everyone to try the stuff which we have been created so far in Apache Flex project and help us improve it.

Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Deepak MS
Thanks everyone. For sure, web apps that we have are lined up to be
migrated.

Only reason I asked that question was that we have several other
applications which run as embedded shockwave flash objects within microsoft
powerpoint slides, which are completely offline (excel data is embedded
within the swf file). I'm not sure how that is going to work. And I haven't
seen any option of embedding HTML\JS applications, which are offline,
within powerpoint.

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 9:44 PM, piotrz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is definitely something which I'm all for - We shouldn't waste our
> time
> on something which is slowly ending.
>
> We have tremendous opportunity with FlexJS and all stuff related around it
> to still writing code with pleasure and give customers what they currently
> want - JS applications.
>
> I encourage everyone to try the stuff which we have been created so far in
> Apache Flex project and help us improve it.

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC

Re: Adobe has announced the end-of-life of the Flash Player

Gary Yang
The problem roots in Adobe's determination, the web without Flash is not
that bad really, mobile is supporting 4k, Adobe lost its unique single
chance without even a try, I am moving on to JavaFx+Gluon,