Apache Flex source code - timeline for the initial code contribution

Apache Flex source code - timeline for the initial code contribution

Raju Bitter
Great to see that the dev mailing list is up and running!

Is there any timeline/plan for when we can expect to see the first
source code contribution of Adobe happening? The decision to make
Apache Flex an incubator project was made really fast, therefore I
imagine that it will still take Adobe a few weeks until the source
code will be contributed to Apache (legal discussion around which
portions of the SDK source code can be put under the Apache license).

Thanks,
Raju

Re: Apache Flex source code - timeline for the initial code contribution

Alex Harui
The plan is to try to deal with the most obvious and easy licensing issues
and get the most or all of the framework source code in this week.  We'll
finish scrubbing later.

Getting our automated verification suite in will take longer, so we'll
probably ask that commits be limited to "safe" things like really simple bug
fixes and documentation.

-Alex

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Apache Flex source code - timeline for the initial code contribution

Raju Bitter
Thanks, Alex.

2012/1/4 Alex Harui <[hidden email]>:
> The plan is to try to deal with the most obvious and easy licensing issues
> and get the most or all of the framework source code in this week.  We'll
> finish scrubbing later.
Wow, that is very quick!

> Getting our automated verification suite in will take longer, so we'll
> probably ask that commits be limited to "safe" things like really simple bug
> fixes and documentation.
>
> -Alex
>
> On 1/3/12 4:11 PM, "Raju Bitter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Great to see that the dev mailing list is up and running!
>>
>> Is there any timeline/plan for when we can expect to see the first
>> source code contribution of Adobe happening? The decision to make
>> Apache Flex an incubator project was made really fast, therefore I
>> imagine that it will still take Adobe a few weeks until the source
>> code will be contributed to Apache (legal discussion around which
>> portions of the SDK source code can be put under the Apache license).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Raju
>
> --
> Alex Harui
> Flex SDK Team
> Adobe Systems, Inc.
> http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

Raju Bitter | Software Architect
cell: +49 (0) 176 322 011 96
fax: +49 (0) 8821 68 69 08 29
email: [hidden email]
Germany

Re: Apache Flex source code - timeline for the initial code contribution

Ryan Frishberg
Thanks for the update Alex.  I know this may be asking too much, but would
it be possible to maintain the SVN history as well?  That history is often
times invaluable in tracking down bugs and looking for specific fixes.

Cheers,
Ryan

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:40 AM, Raju Bitter <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Thanks, Alex.
>
> 2012/1/4 Alex Harui <[hidden email]>:
> > The plan is to try to deal with the most obvious and easy licensing
> issues
> > and get the most or all of the framework source code in this week.  We'll
> > finish scrubbing later.
> Wow, that is very quick!
>
> > Getting our automated verification suite in will take longer, so we'll
> > probably ask that commits be limited to "safe" things like really simple
> bug
> > fixes and documentation.
> >
> > -Alex
> >
> > On 1/3/12 4:11 PM, "Raju Bitter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Great to see that the dev mailing list is up and running!
> >>
> >> Is there any timeline/plan for when we can expect to see the first
> >> source code contribution of Adobe happening? The decision to make
> >> Apache Flex an incubator project was made really fast, therefore I
> >> imagine that it will still take Adobe a few weeks until the source
> >> code will be contributed to Apache (legal discussion around which
> >> portions of the SDK source code can be put under the Apache license).
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Raju
> >
> > --
> > Alex Harui
> > Flex SDK Team
> > Adobe Systems, Inc.
> > http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

> Raju Bitter | Software Architect
> cell: +49 (0) 176 322 011 96
> fax: +49 (0) 8821 68 69 08 29
> email: [hidden email]
> Germany

Re: Apache Flex source code - timeline for the initial code contribution

Carol Frampton
Hi Ryan,

We're looking into preserving the history.  We're not sure yet whether or
not it is feasible for us to do it.  If not maybe we can put the
repository we pulled from up somewhere on adobe opensource site so the
history is still available.

Carol

>Thanks for the update Alex.  I know this may be asking too much, but would
>it be possible to maintain the SVN history as well?  That history is often
>times invaluable in tracking down bugs and looking for specific fixes.
>
>Cheers,
>Ryan
>
>On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:40 AM, Raju Bitter
><[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Alex.
>>
>> 2012/1/4 Alex Harui <[hidden email]>:
>> > The plan is to try to deal with the most obvious and easy licensing
>> issues
>> > and get the most or all of the framework source code in this week.
>>We'll
>> > finish scrubbing later.
>> Wow, that is very quick!
>>
>> > Getting our automated verification suite in will take longer, so we'll
>> > probably ask that commits be limited to "safe" things like really
>>simple
>> bug
>> > fixes and documentation.
>> >
>> > -Alex

>> > --
>> > Alex Harui
>> > Flex SDK Team
>> > Adobe Systems, Inc.
>> > http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui
>> >

>> --
>>
>> Raju Bitter | Software Architect
>> cell: +49 (0) 176 322 011 96
>> fax: +49 (0) 8821 68 69 08 29
>> email: [hidden email]
>> Germany

the Flex website

Carol Frampton
Hi all,

Our website
        http://incubator.apache.org/flex/

is 'an ugly temporary website'.

I think we need a logo and some basic structure put in place.

Do we ask for volunteers to work on it?

Carol

Re: Apache Flex source code - timeline for the initial code contribution

Rick Winscot
Carol,

Have you used svnsync? I highly recommend it.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/notes/svnsync.txt

Alternatively... you could 'svn log --xml http://url_to_your_repository' to generate an xml commit history. This would allow you to scrub the output as needed... and then include the file in the initial source commit.

Cheers,

Rick Winscot
www.quilix.com

--
Rick Winscot

On Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Carol Frampton wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> We're looking into preserving the history. We're not sure yet whether or
> not it is feasible for us to do it. If not maybe we can put the
> repository we pulled from up somewhere on adobe opensource site so the
> history is still available.
>
> Carol

Re: the Flex website

Rick Winscot
Not an initial committer... but I'd be happy to help on this front.

--
Rick Winscot

On Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Carol Frampton wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Our website
> http://incubator.apache.org/flex/
>
> is 'an ugly temporary website'.
>
> I think we need a logo and some basic structure put in place.
>
> Do we ask for volunteers to work on it?
>
> Carol

Re: the Flex website

Jonathan Campos
Most of the sites look pretty "ugly".

It would be nice for someone to do something. Maybe someone with more
design skills than I have :)

--
Jonathan Campos
Dallas Flex User Group Manager
blog: http://www.unitedmindset.com/jonbcampos
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jonbcampos

Re: the Flex website

Hugo Miguel Pereira Matinho
I would like to volunteer for that
On Jan 4, 2012 4:47 PM, "Carol Frampton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Our website
>        http://incubator.apache.org/flex/
>
> is 'an ugly temporary website'.
>
> I think we need a logo and some basic structure put in place.
>
> Do we ask for volunteers to work on it?
>
> Carol

Re: the Flex website

Jonathan Campos
I would love to see some work that you and rick can come up with.

--
Jonathan Campos
Dallas Flex User Group Manager
http://www.d-flex.org/
blog: http://www.unitedmindset.com/jonbcampos
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jonbcampos

Re: the Flex website

Peter Elst
Sounds like a perfect opportunity to get the community involved - give it a
deadline of a week to come up with a proposal and have an open vote on the
mailinglist?

I'm sure we have some really talented people already on here willing to
volunteer but might as well open it up and drive some interest and
participation? Just a thought.

- Peter

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Jonathan Campos <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I would love to see some work that you and rick can come up with.
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Hugo Miguel Pereira Matinho <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I would like to volunteer for that
> > On Jan 4, 2012 4:47 PM, "Carol Frampton" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Our website
> > >        http://incubator.apache.org/flex/
> > >
> > > is 'an ugly temporary website'.
> > >
> > > I think we need a logo and some basic structure put in place.
> > >
> > > Do we ask for volunteers to work on it?
> > >
> > > Carol
> > >

> --
> Jonathan Campos
> Dallas Flex User Group Manager
> http://www.d-flex.org/
> blog: http://www.unitedmindset.com/jonbcampos
> twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jonbcampos

Re: the Flex website

Hugo Miguel Pereira Matinho
Maybe I could team up with Rick to get that done, i'll send him an email so
we can trade contacts and get work started

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 16:59, Jonathan Campos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would love to see some work that you and rick can come up with.
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Hugo Miguel Pereira Matinho <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I would like to volunteer for that
> > On Jan 4, 2012 4:47 PM, "Carol Frampton" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Our website
> > >        http://incubator.apache.org/flex/
> > >
> > > is 'an ugly temporary website'.
> > >
> > > I think we need a logo and some basic structure put in place.
> > >
> > > Do we ask for volunteers to work on it?
> > >
> > > Carol
> > >

> --
> Jonathan Campos
> Dallas Flex User Group Manager
> http://www.d-flex.org/
> blog: http://www.unitedmindset.com/jonbcampos
> twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jonbcampos

Re: Apache Flex source code - timeline for the initial code contribution

Bertrand Delacretaz

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Carol Frampton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...We're looking into preserving the history.  We're not sure yet whether or
> not it is feasible for us to do it.  If not maybe we can put the
> repository we pulled from up somewhere on adobe opensource site so the
> history is still available...

If you can get an svn dump from the existing Flex repository that
should work, we can ask the ASF infrastructure team to import it.

I'd then suggest the following process:

-Create the svn dump from the Adobe repository
-Put it somewhere with a public URL for download (as it's probably too
big to attach to a JIRA issue)
-Submit the software grant from Adobe  [1], which includes the md5
digest of the dump file
-Once the grant is confirmed, create a JIRA issue for the ASF infra
team to import the dump

-Bertrand

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt

Re: the Flex website

Jonathan Campos
Peter,

Part of me wants to agree, part of me says that if Hugo and Rick are
already excited enough to get into it we should just support that.
Obviously they are interested enough to already be watching the mailing
lists day one. But I'd be happy to see some +1/0/-1's on the subject. I
have no problem being told that I'm wrong and lots of people are just
knocking down the door to make a new cool design.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Hugo Miguel Pereira Matinho <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe I could team up with Rick to get that done, i'll send him an email so
> we can trade contacts and get work started
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 16:59, Jonathan Campos <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I would love to see some work that you and rick can come up with.
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Hugo Miguel Pereira Matinho <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to volunteer for that

> > --
> > Jonathan Campos
> > Dallas Flex User Group Manager
> > http://www.d-flex.org/
> > blog: http://www.unitedmindset.com/jonbcampos
> > twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jonbcampos

--
Jonathan Campos
Dallas Flex User Group Manager
http://www.d-flex.org/
blog: http://www.unitedmindset.com/jonbcampos
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jonbcampos

RE: the Flex website

Douglas Arthur
I like the idea of having anyone that wants to submit a design do so, and if more than one decide to submit something within a timeframe then we can vote on it. If it's only Rick and Hugo that submit a design together, then we go with their design by default.

- Doug

Part of me wants to agree, part of me says that if Hugo and Rick are already excited enough to get into it we should just support that.
Obviously they are interested enough to already be watching the mailing lists day one. But I'd be happy to see some +1/0/-1's on the subject. I have no problem being told that I'm wrong and lots of people are just knocking down the door to make a new cool design.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Hugo Miguel Pereira Matinho < [hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe I could team up with Rick to get that done, i'll send him an
> email so we can trade contacts and get work started
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 16:59, Jonathan Campos <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I would love to see some work that you and rick can come up with.
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Hugo Miguel Pereira Matinho <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to volunteer for that On Jan 4, 2012 4:47 PM, "Carol

> > --
> > Jonathan Campos
> > Dallas Flex User Group Manager
> > http://www.d-flex.org/
> > blog: http://www.unitedmindset.com/jonbcampos
> > twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jonbcampos

--
Jonathan Campos
Dallas Flex User Group Manager
http://www.d-flex.org/
blog: http://www.unitedmindset.com/jonbcampos
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jonbcampos

Re: the Flex website

Bertrand Delacretaz
Hi Carol,

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Carol Frampton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...Our website
>        http://incubator.apache.org/flex/
>
> is 'an ugly temporary website'....

It's all my fault ;-)

I'm happy to explain how to modify it if people want to add things
there now, but as you say:

> I think we need a logo and some basic structure put in place....

The standard option here would be to use the Apache CMS, it's a fairly
basic tool but very convenient for our types of projects as it's based
on content in subversion - which also means it's easy to include
generated content.

There's some information here:
http://wiki.apache.org/general/ApacheCms2010
http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html
http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html

and the Stanbol site is an example of a simple website managed by that CMS:
site at http://incubator.apache.org/stanbol/
content at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/site/trunk

If people agree with that solution, I can request ASF infrastructure
to set it up for us.

Someone will need to create a design anyway (CSS, logos etc), the CMS
only provides the editing/staging/publishing infrastructure.

-Bertrand

Re: the Flex website

Jonathan Campos
I'm sold :)

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Douglas Arthur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like the idea of having anyone that wants to submit a design do so, and
> if more than one decide to submit something within a timeframe then we can
> vote on it. If it's only Rick and Hugo that submit a design together, then
> we go with their design by default.
>
> - Doug

Greg Reddin
On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Jonathan Campos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Part of me wants to agree, part of me says that if Hugo and Rick are
> already excited enough to get into it we should just support that.
> Obviously they are interested enough to already be watching the mailing
> lists day one. But I'd be happy to see some +1/0/-1's on the subject.

I don't think we need a vote before work can commence. Basically if
Rick and Hugo are rarin' to go, then they should have at it. I would
encourage them to do as much of their work as possible on the mailing
list and in Subversion so everyone can participate and see a record of
what's happening.

Thanks,
Greg

Re: the Flex website

João Felipe - Jotaefe
Hello,

I also have interest in collaborating with the initiative, I will get in
touch with Hugo and Rick to find out how I can help.
João Felipe "Jotaefe" Lima
http://www.jotaefe.com

2012/1/4 Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]>

> Hi Carol,
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Carol Frampton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ...Our website
> >        http://incubator.apache.org/flex/
> >
> > is 'an ugly temporary website'....
>
> It's all my fault ;-)
>
> I'm happy to explain how to modify it if people want to add things
> there now, but as you say:
>

> > I think we need a logo and some basic structure put in place....
>
> The standard option here would be to use the Apache CMS, it's a fairly
> basic tool but very convenient for our types of projects as it's based
> on content in subversion - which also means it's easy to include
> generated content.
>
> There's some information here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/ApacheCms2010
> http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html
> http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html
>
> and the Stanbol site is an example of a simple website managed by that CMS:
> site at http://incubator.apache.org/stanbol/
> content at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/site/trunk
>
> If people agree with that solution, I can request ASF infrastructure
> to set it up for us.
>
> Someone will need to create a design anyway (CSS, logos etc), the CMS
> only provides the editing/staging/publishing infrastructure.
>
> -Bertrand

123