Board report submitted (September 2020)

Olaf Krueger
Hi guys,

I am sorry, but I had some trouble with my incoming emails and totally
overlooked the due board report reminder for September.
So, I just prepared it quickly and pushed it without asking you guys to
review it.
You can find the submitted report here [1].

Hope that's ok for anybody, sorry again!

Olaf

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/September+2020

Re: Board report submitted (September 2020)

Carlos Rovira-3
Thanks Olaf,

I think is fine.

> I just will inform about the banner added to flex website (
> https://flex.apache.org/ with this wording:

"
Flash Player in the Browser support is ending!Adobe, along with all the
major browser vendors (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge) have
announced that they will no longer support the Adobe Flash Player™ runtime
at the end of 2020.
<https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html> If you are
looking to output content to the browser, you should check out our sister
project Apache Royale™ <https://royale.apache.org/>, which allows you to
continue to use ActionScript and output native JavaScript and HTML. Apache
Flex output to mobile and desktop platforms through the Adobe AIR runtime
provided by Harman <https://airsdk.harman.com/> is still supported."

thanks

Carlos

El lun., 14 sept. 2020 a las 9:50, Olaf Krueger (<[hidden email]>)
escribió:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am sorry, but I had some trouble with my incoming emails and totally
> overlooked the due board report reminder for September.
> So, I just prepared it quickly and pushed it without asking you guys to
> review it.
> You can find the submitted report here [1].
>
> Hope that's ok for anybody, sorry again!
>
> Olaf
>
> [1]
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/September+2020
>

> --
> Sent from: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/

http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Board report submitted (September 2020)

Frost, Andrew
Hi guys

I'm fine with that announcement although it's not 100% accurate: Microsoft announced 10 days ago that the new Edge will continue to support Flash Player via the "Internet Explorer Mode" feature (and IE will still have this capability, although they're not keen on people using IE standalone now..)

Is it also worth pointing people at the "migration from Flex to Royale" pages?

thanks

   Andrew

Re: Board report submitted (September 2020)

Carlos Rovira-3
Hi Andrew,

We talked about it in another thread, but as I read it I thought we were
"interpreting".
It's now clear that's ok and MS will allow Flash in Edge via IE Mode?
also What about Adobe and the Player, maybe you have more accurate info
since Adobe people are not sharing much more on this.
I mean, they retire the player from downloads? will be able to download for
use in Edge?

If that info is somewhat "safe", could you propose some additional phrase
to the banner?

Thanks!

http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Board report submitted (September 2020)

Frost, Andrew
Hi

Sorry, I am having to filter out most emails so hadn't seen that other thread.. What's actually happening:
1) In January, the Flash Player will go into a "block everything by default" mode. Admins are able to work around this to add specific content that they want to keep working - see "enterprise enablement" feature.
2) Microsoft will be publishing an update package that will remove the Flash Player (I think when this update is applied will be left to company IT admins for a while, but in June it becomes part of the standard monthly roll-up so latest June 2020, the Flash Player for IE (and Edge IE mode) will be removed by Microsoft
3) Flash Player will be removed from download at the end of 2020 (they already removed the archived players..)

So for companies that want to have continued support for the Flash Player within IE (or Edge IE Mode), they would need to re-install this post the removal of the Microsoft-deployed version (which they can do early if they want); we provide the installers and extended support (i.e. security patches and fixes beyond 2020) for anyone who has the appropriate license with us. It's only for enterprise corporate usage, it's not something that the general public will get, and it's a commercial offering..

So, I'm not entirely sure it's something that you should add to the banner that you've proposed. For all the companies that are coming to us, we are ensuring that they have a migration route away from the need for Flash Player, and highlighting Royale as an option for Flex-based projects. So I think the sentiment of the text you have is correct; the above is just for information in case you get the queries!

Thanks!

Re: Board report submitted (September 2020)

Carlos Rovira-3
Ok Andrew,
very useful. Thanks!
So we'll not add up to the actual banner for now if others think as well
the same
thanks!

El lun., 14 sept. 2020 a las 12:25, Frost, Andrew (<[hidden email]>)
escribió:

> Hi
>
> Sorry, I am having to filter out most emails so hadn't seen that other
> thread.. What's actually happening:
> 1) In January, the Flash Player will go into a "block everything by
> default" mode. Admins are able to work around this to add specific content
> that they want to keep working - see "enterprise enablement" feature.
> 2) Microsoft will be publishing an update package that will remove the
> Flash Player (I think when this update is applied will be left to company
> IT admins for a while, but in June it becomes part of the standard monthly
> roll-up so latest June 2020, the Flash Player for IE (and Edge IE mode)
> will be removed by Microsoft
> 3) Flash Player will be removed from download at the end of 2020 (they
> already removed the archived players..)
>
> So for companies that want to have continued support for the Flash Player
> within IE (or Edge IE Mode), they would need to re-install this post the
> removal of the Microsoft-deployed version (which they can do early if they
> want); we provide the installers and extended support (i.e. security
> patches and fixes beyond 2020) for anyone who has the appropriate license
> with us. It's only for enterprise corporate usage, it's not something that
> the general public will get, and it's a commercial offering..
>
> So, I'm not entirely sure it's something that you should add to the banner
> that you've proposed. For all the companies that are coming to us, we are
> ensuring that they have a migration route away from the need for Flash
> Player, and highlighting Royale as an option for Flex-based projects. So I
> think the sentiment of the text you have is correct; the above is just for
> information in case you get the queries!
>
> thanks
>
>    Andrew

http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Board report submitted (September 2020)

Nicholas Kwiatkowski-2
It is a bit of a technicality.  IE will not be "blocking" the Flash Player
in future versions of the browser (unlike Chrome and Firefox), BUT Flash
Player will no longer be distributed nor available for fresh downloads.
Unless a person has the Flash Player installed, it won't be available.
Additionally, it will no longer be getting patches or updates, so it will
become an security issue as time goes on.

-Nick