Congratulations to the first whiteboard addition :: navigators by Tink

Congratulations to the first whiteboard addition :: navigators by Tink

Michael Schmalle
Just want you all to know that Tink has committed his navigator
framework to the whiteboard.

Let's check it out and see what we all come up with!

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/whiteboard/navigators/

Mike

Re: Congratulations to the first whiteboard addition :: navigators by Tink

Michael Schmalle
I've got a question with the white board, when developing should we
use our own domains during experimentation so there is no conflict
with anything called spark?

If I want to add say a TabNavigator to tink, should I put it in his
"navigators" trunk or create my own trunk like mschmalle/navigators
and then use my domain name for package name for now?.

Then someone wanting to try my extension would just include both source paths.

Does this sound off target?

Mike

> Just want you all to know that Tink has committed his navigator
> framework to the whiteboard.
>
> Let's check it out and see what we all come up with!
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/whiteboard/navigators/
>
> Mike

Re: Congratulations to the first whiteboard addition :: navigators by Tink

Greg Reddin
On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Michael Schmalle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've got a question with the white board, when developing should we use our
> own domains during experimentation so there is no conflict with anything
> called spark?

Nah, I'd just use org.apache... or whatever. Since it's in the
whiteboard there's no problems with name collisions for the most part.

> If I want to add say a TabNavigator to tink, should I put it in his
> "navigators" trunk or create my own trunk like mschmalle/navigators and then
> use my domain name for package name for now?.

I don't know if there's a protocol for things like "personal
sandboxes". Technically it's ok to just start hacking there. Even
though it has his name on it the whole purpose of doing it there is so
others can contribute. OTOH, it does have his name on it so he might
appreciate it if you ask first. Tink, do you mind if folks contribute
to the code you posted or would you prefer they wait until you have it
more "ready"?

Greg

Quoting Greg Reddin <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Michael Schmalle
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've got a question with the white board, when developing should we use our
>> own domains during experimentation so there is no conflict with anything
>> called spark?
>
> Nah, I'd just use org.apache... or whatever. Since it's in the
> whiteboard there's no problems with name collisions for the most part.
>
>> If I want to add say a TabNavigator to tink, should I put it in his
>> "navigators" trunk or create my own trunk like mschmalle/navigators and then
>> use my domain name for package name for now?.
>
> I don't know if there's a protocol for things like "personal
> sandboxes". Technically it's ok to just start hacking there. Even
> though it has his name on it the whole purpose of doing it there is so
> others can contribute. OTOH, it does have his name on it so he might
> appreciate it if you ask first. Tink, do you mind if folks contribute
> to the code you posted or would you prefer they wait until you have it
> more "ready"?
>
> Greg

This is exactly why I asked, I think for now I will just keep a local
version of what I'm doing and wait for a concrete direction of where
to put the code. I agree though once something goes in there it's fair
game and commits should be against it's package say with what I want
to do with TabNavigator prototype.

Mike

Re: Congratulations to the first whiteboard addition :: navigators by Tink

Tink
On 6 Jan 2012, at 22:22, Greg Reddin wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Michael Schmalle <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>> I've got a question with the white board, when developing should we
>> use our
>> own domains during experimentation so there is no conflict with
>> anything
>> called spark?
>
> Nah, I'd just use org.apache... or whatever. Since it's in the
> whiteboard there's no problems with name collisions for the most part.
>
>> If I want to add say a TabNavigator to tink, should I put it in his
>> "navigators" trunk or create my own trunk like mschmalle/navigators
>> and then
>> use my domain name for package name for now?.
>
> I don't know if there's a protocol for things like "personal
> sandboxes". Technically it's ok to just start hacking there. Even
> though it has his name on it the whole purpose of doing it there is so
> others can contribute. OTOH, it does have his name on it so he might
> appreciate it if you ask first. Tink, do you mind if folks contribute
> to the code you posted or would you prefer they wait until you have it
> more "ready"?
>
> Greg

Yeah I just didn't take the time out to edit the package names, so
feel free to hack away in there.

If you were looking to add a TabNavigator you could create a
TabNavigatorSkin for use with a Navigator. Put a TabBar in it and bind
the dataProvider of the TabBar to the NavigatorGroup also in the skin.
Assign that skin to a Navigator and your should be up and running.

You could go one further and create a TabNavigator class that extends
Navigator and give it your new skin as a default. I'v always wondered
whether having these empty classes just so I can define a default skin
to it and give it a new name made any sense, although I did do it for
the 2 Accordions as the layout for those is a little tricker to set up.

Tink

Re: Congratulations to the first whiteboard addition :: navigators by Tink

Michael Schmalle

> Yeah I just didn't take the time out to edit the package names, so
> feel free to hack away in there.
>
> If you were looking to add a TabNavigator you could create a
> TabNavigatorSkin for use with a Navigator. Put a TabBar in it and
> bind the dataProvider of the TabBar to the NavigatorGroup also in
> the skin. Assign that skin to a Navigator and your should be up and
> running.
>
> You could go one further and create a TabNavigator class that
> extends Navigator and give it your new skin as a default. I'v always
> wondered whether having these empty classes just so I can define a
> default skin to it and give it a new name made any sense, although I
> did do it for the 2 Accordions as the layout for those is a little
> tricker to set up.
>
> Tink

Ok, I am going to do this.

But what are the package names going to be? Should I just change them
to org.apache.spark.components... etc for now? or spark.components ?

Mike

Re: Congratulations to the first whiteboard addition :: navigators by Tink

Alex Harui

On 1/6/12 2:39 PM, "Michael Schmalle" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But what are the package names going to be? Should I just change them
> to org.apache.spark.components... etc for now? or spark.components ?

Unless someone has a good reason, whichever Accordion we choose for Spark
should be spark.components.Accordion.  I wouldn't want to rename the Flex
packages to org.apache.xxx at this time.

You can certainly call it whatever you want in the whiteboard and rename it
later if it becomes the one we go with.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Quoting Alex Harui <[hidden email]>:

> On 1/6/12 2:39 PM, "Michael Schmalle" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> But what are the package names going to be? Should I just change them
>> to org.apache.spark.components... etc for now? or spark.components ?
>>
> Unless someone has a good reason, whichever Accordion we choose for Spark
> should be spark.components.Accordion.  I wouldn't want to rename the Flex
> packages to org.apache.xxx at this time.
>
> You can certainly call it whatever you want in the whiteboard and rename it
> later if it becomes the one we go with.
>
> --
> Alex Harui
> Flex SDK Team
> Adobe Systems, Inc.
> http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

Alex,

That's all I was asking, I knew we weren't renaming the framework,
that would be nuts and I think we would get a lot of tomatoes thrown
at us. :)

Mike

Re: Congratulations to the first whiteboard addition :: navigators by Tink

Rui D. Silva
Michael,

> I've got a question with the white board, when developing should we
> use our own domains during experimentation so there is no conflict
> with anything called spark?
>
> If I want to add say a TabNavigator to tink, should I put it in his
> "navigators" trunk or create my own trunk like mschmalle/navigators
> and then use my domain name for package name for now?.

> Mike

Actually as I see it, once the Flex code is ported over, most of what's in
the whiteboard will be branches of the main TRUNK, because most of the time
we'll want to develop against the framework to guarantee integration and
testability.

Rui

Quoting Rui Silva <[hidden email]>:

> Michael,
>
>> I've got a question with the white board, when developing should we
>> use our own domains during experimentation so there is no conflict
>> with anything called spark?
>>
>> If I want to add say a TabNavigator to tink, should I put it in his
>> "navigators" trunk or create my own trunk like mschmalle/navigators
>> and then use my domain name for package name for now?.

>> Mike
>
> Actually as I see it, once the Flex code is ported over, most of what's in
> the whiteboard will be branches of the main TRUNK, because most of the time
> we'll want to develop against the framework to guarantee integration and
> testability.
>
> Rui

Makes total sense and this early contribution for eventual review was
from Alex's request of an Accordion and TabNavigator for the release
if possible.

I feel that the community may be looking at me as a impulsive talker/
poster/ commenter but, fortunately I have time right now to dedicate
myself to creating a momentum, which I am trying to do.

I am trying to leverage my 10 years experience with Flash and Flex to
get things going. It will be great when there are others the come
along with a pace. I like communication and think it's the only way to
at least give things a chance to die a proper death.

That being said, people with my personality type are always trying to
check themselves to not seem to pushy. If anybody ever thinks that of
me, just let me know and I will shut up for abit.

Mike

Re: Congratulations to the first whiteboard addition :: navigators by Tink

Rui D. Silva
Mike,

> That being said, people with my personality type are always trying to
> check themselves to not seem to pushy. If anybody ever thinks that of
> me, just let me know and I will shut up for abit.
>
> Mike

Nah, keep it coming. You were absolutely right, this is our party and we
should make the most out of it. I'm still filled with overly complex
corporate mumbo jumbo and that's probably why I overreacted. It still
amazes me how people within Apache just make things happen. Seriously, it
looks like magic. In one moment you're discussing how something should be
done, in the next it is is done even without obtaining a formal consensus
and that's totally ok because a generic agreement was "sensed" by those in
the know of these things. Magic I say, these people are mind readers...
(I'm looking at you Bertrand :) )

Rui