[DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

[DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Alex Harui-2
This is the discussion thread.

Thanks,
Alex Harui

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

OmPrakash Muppirala
Please note that I will be traveling for the next few days.  In any case I
will be waiting for the artifacts to be propagated through the mirrors
before pushing a FlexJS npm release.

Hopefully the timelines will coincide.  Worst case, there will be a bit of
a lag for the npm release.

Thanks,
Om

On Jun 9, 2017 3:01 PM, "Alex Harui" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is the discussion thread.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex Harui

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Justin Mclean
Administrator
Hi,

Perhaps a silly question but does there need to be a release of the typedef project as well? Even if only for Maven?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Alex Harui-2
Flex-typedefs code should be packaged in the -falconjx packages.

-Alex

On 6/10/17, 1:49 AM, "Justin Mclean" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Perhaps a silly question but does there need to be a release of the
>typedef project as well? Even if only for Maven?
>
>Thanks,
>Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

in the vote thread the instructions are for ANT, but no mention for MAVEN.
I thought we set maven as the default way to build, so shouldn't be
mentioned?

apart from that. Is right If I:

a) check rc1 branch
b) pass maven in that branch
c) test is all right

thanks

--

<http://www.codeoscopic.com>

Carlos Rovira

Director General

M: +34 607 22 60 05

http://www.codeoscopic.com

http://www.avant2.es

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

piotrz
Hi Carlos,

Unfortunately Maven is not the main way of building of FlexJS.

- Flex installer still serves Ant build of FlexJS for the user.
- Maven distribution package of FlexJS has some missing thing and it is not usable by IDE - jira has been raised.

As for the tests:
I did all tests as you mention, additionally I run ApproveFalcon.xml script which help you check everything and Ant build.
Copy ApproveFalcon.xml to empty folder and run:

ant -f ApproveFalcon.xml -Drelease.version=0.8.0

Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Harbs
I did not see anything that would preclude a release, but the readme does not have anything that mentions Maven. The prerequisites only mention ANT and environment variables.

It would be a good idea that for the next release, we should add installation instructions for Maven as well. (and probably npm too).

Harbs

> On Jun 10, 2017, at 10:14 PM, piotrz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Carlos,
>
> Unfortunately Maven is not the main way of building of FlexJS.
>
> - Flex installer still serves Ant build of FlexJS for the user.
> - Maven distribution package of FlexJS has some missing thing and it is not
> usable by IDE - jira has been raised.
>
> As for the tests:
> I did all tests as you mention, additionally I run ApproveFalcon.xml script
> which help you check everything and Ant build.
> Copy ApproveFalcon.xml to empty folder and run:
>
> ant -f ApproveFalcon.xml -Drelease.version=0.8.0
>
> Piotr
>

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Justin Mclean
Administrator
Hi,

> I did not see anything that would preclude a release, but the readme does not have anything that mentions Maven. The prerequisites only mention ANT and environment variables.

Falcon has this [1] should be easy enough to do similar.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/apache/flex-falcon/blob/develop/README_MAVEN.txt

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Justin Mclean
Administrator
Hi,

Currently the RC1 fails to compile with maven with this error:
[ERROR] org.apache.flex.flexjs.typedefs:flexjs-typedefs-js:swc:0.8.0-SNAPSHOT
[ERROR]
[ERROR] from the specified remote repositories:
[ERROR] apache-release (https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases, releases=true, snapshots=false),
[ERROR] apache-snapshots (https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots, releases=false, snapshots=true),
[ERROR] apache.snapshots (https://repository.apache.org/snapshots, releases=false, snapshots=true),
[ERROR] central (https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2, releases=true, snapshots=false)
[ERROR] Path to dependency:
[ERROR] 1) org.apache.flex.flexjs.framework:projects:pom:0.8.0-SNAPSHOT

Everything else looks fine so that’s the only think holding up my vote / that and testing the release.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

piotrz
Hi Justin,

I didn't get it and I was building by Maven straight from the sources downloaded by ApproveFlexJS script. Can you try build typedefs and later SDK - what will happen ?

Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Justin Mclean
Administrator
Hi,

> I didn't get it and I was building by Maven straight from the sources
> downloaded by ApproveFlexJS script.

Are these the same sources that are in the release? Perhaps there’s an issue there????

BTW I’m also see the issue on develop branch and so is the apache build server.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Justin Mclean
Administrator
Hi,

Here’s the link to the latest failure onto build server and you can see it’s typedef related.

https://builds.apache.org/job/FlexJS%20Framework%20(maven)/953/console

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Christofer Dutz
You were probably getting the SNAPSHOTS from the Apache SNAPSHOT repo.

Ok … I promised not to invest any more of my time in issues related to the double-build-system, guess I’ll make an exception …

1) In order to have a proper Maven release, the versions of the maven build should be changed to “0.8.0” (omit the SNAPSHOT).
2) In order to have a proper Maven release, we would need a release for compiler, typedefs and framework (3 and not 2 releases)

So, the proper maven release would consist of these steps:

1) Update the version of all compiler artifacts to 0.8.0
2) Build, including tests
3) If the build was successful, tag the code
4) Update the compiler artifacts to the next version (0.9.0-SNAPSHOT)
5) Commit these changes
6) Checkout the tagged version
7) Do a build with the “apache-release” profile turned on (This will generate the Javadoc, source-bundles etc. and deploy them)

As soon as that’s done, go to typedefs
1) Adjust the variable “flexjs.compiler.version” in the root pom to the newly released compiler version 0.8.0
2) Do the same steps as with compiler

As soon as that’s done, go to framework
1) Adjust the variable “flexjs.compiler.version” to the newly released compiler version 0.8.0
2) Adjust the variable “flexjs.typedefs.version” to the newly released typedefs version 0.8.0
3) Do the same steps as with compiler

Most of the stuff is automated using the maven-release-plugin (except the manual adjustment of flexjs.compiler.version and flexjs.typedefs.version.

Everything in outside of that will cause problems. Now I’m going to check if the current RC works for me …

Chris

Am 12.06.17, 08:02 schrieb "piotrz" <[hidden email]>:

    Hi Justin,

    I didn't get it and I was building by Maven straight from the sources
    downloaded by ApproveFlexJS script. Can you try build typedefs and later SDK
    - what will happen ?

    -----
    Apache Flex PMC

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

piotrz
Hi Chris,

But you are saying what should happened once we are after release, not during Release Cut and Voting ? During that time we should still use SNAPSHOT ?

Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Justin Mclean
Administrator

> Flex-typedefs code should be packaged in the -falconjx packages.

I can see in that in the falcon source release when when I try to compile it I get the following error:

error: patch failed: js/target/downloads/svg.js:401
error: js/target/downloads/svg.js: patch does not apply

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Hi Piotrz,

sorry, but I almost sure we decided to put maven as main way of building. I
know how to build with ant with the approve xml, and did it other times for
other releases, but I think is totally wrong with what we agreed in this
list.

Maybe I'm wrong but if not, It's almost strange to me not find any maven
mention, and again ANT all over the place...

I think one of the things we did (and very good from my point of view) is
put maven in good shape and many of us are working with that build system.
As other things where enhanced, this is another want to take into account
and is very rare that for this 0.8.0 is like we don't get any progress in
maven build.

I prefer not to vote this release, but don't want to bother with my way of
thinking about maven-ant.

Thanks for your help Piotr!

Carlos

> Hi Carlos,
>
> Unfortunately Maven is not the main way of building of FlexJS.
>
> - Flex installer still serves Ant build of FlexJS for the user.
> - Maven distribution package of FlexJS has some missing thing and it is not
> usable by IDE - jira has been raised.
>
> As for the tests:
> I did all tests as you mention, additionally I run ApproveFalcon.xml script
> which help you check everything and Ant build.
> Copy ApproveFalcon.xml to empty folder and run:
>
> ant -f ApproveFalcon.xml -Drelease.version=0.8.0
>
> Piotr
>

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC

<http://www.codeoscopic.com>

Carlos Rovira

Director General

M: +34 607 22 60 05

http://www.codeoscopic.com

http://www.avant2.es

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

piotrz
Carlos,

We had pretty long discussion on ApacheCon about that. I hope we will get the point where Maven will be the main builder for the framework.

Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Justin Mclean
Administrator
Hi,

Locally I have been using Maven for 4 months or so to build Falcon / FlexJS and haven’t run into any major issues expect when the dual branch was first merged and in the last couple of days so obviously something has changed recently that stops this from working.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Christofer Dutz
Ok … so I setup a build that doesn’t accidentally pull in SNAPSHOTS from the Apache repo:

mvn clean install -Drat.skip=true -s ~/.m2/settings-test.xml

(My settings-test.xml simply excludes the Apache snapshot repo)

One thing I found (no this is not going to be a legal thing … I am reporting this as technical issue):
When building the compiler, this fails as inside the flex-typedefs directory there are 3 files without correct license headers (yes exactly those ones). If the typedefs repo is required to be nested inside the compiler, then the maven rat configuration needs to be made aware of that. Verifying a release candidate with switched off RAT doesn’t feel right … (Not enough for a -1 though)

Another thing I noticed, is that the build is producing SNAPSHOT versions and is referencing SNAPSHOT versions. We will not be able to publish these artifacts to Maven Central. Well we will also not be able to publish them to the Apache Repo for release.

I could build the typedefs however with:
mvn clean install -s ~/.m2/settings-test.xml

So, I guess the problems others are having are related to them having different git executalbes (I remember having problems with older git versions)

bash-3.2$ git --version
git version 2.12.0

So, this works for me, but I still think relying on command-line tools in the build is bad and should be replaced by a java based patch solution.

But not being able to release stuff to Maven-Central is reason enough for a -1 … sorry for that … next RC should also handle the version numbers of the maven pom as I described them in my last post to this thread.

Chris

Am 12.06.17, 10:33 schrieb "[hidden email] im Auftrag von Carlos Rovira" <[hidden email] im Auftrag von [hidden email]>:

    Hi Piotrz,

    sorry, but I almost sure we decided to put maven as main way of building. I
    know how to build with ant with the approve xml, and did it other times for
    other releases, but I think is totally wrong with what we agreed in this
    list.

    Maybe I'm wrong but if not, It's almost strange to me not find any maven
    mention, and again ANT all over the place...

    I think one of the things we did (and very good from my point of view) is
    put maven in good shape and many of us are working with that build system.
    As other things where enhanced, this is another want to take into account
    and is very rare that for this 0.8.0 is like we don't get any progress in
    maven build.

    I prefer not to vote this release, but don't want to bother with my way of
    thinking about maven-ant.

    Thanks for your help Piotr!

    Carlos

    > Hi Carlos,
    >
    > Unfortunately Maven is not the main way of building of FlexJS.
    >
    > - Flex installer still serves Ant build of FlexJS for the user.
    > - Maven distribution package of FlexJS has some missing thing and it is not
    > usable by IDE - jira has been raised.
    >
    > As for the tests:
    > I did all tests as you mention, additionally I run ApproveFalcon.xml script
    > which help you check everything and Ant build.
    > Copy ApproveFalcon.xml to empty folder and run:
    >
    > ant -f ApproveFalcon.xml -Drelease.version=0.8.0
    >
    > Piotr
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > -----
    > Apache Flex PMC

    <http://www.codeoscopic.com>

    Carlos Rovira

    Director General

    M: +34 607 22 60 05

    http://www.codeoscopic.com

    http://www.avant2.es

    proceda a su destrucción.

    necesaria.

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

> But not being able to release stuff to Maven-Central is reason enough for
> a -1 … sorry for that … next RC should also handle the version numbers of
> the maven pom as I described them in my last post to this thread.

Total agree since the main purpose of this process is in fact to make a
"release" and if that release can't go to Maven-Central...is not valid at
all...

Thanks Chris for taking care of this

Carlos