[DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

piotrz
Hi Chris,

I'm not sure from that point whether we can cut next RC or not. It seems that we have to still make your steps which you described earlier? Am I right?

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Christofer Dutz
If we want to do a release of Maven artifacts, yes.

It’s quite easy with Maven, it’s only difficult doing Maven releases with Ant.

Chris

Am 13.06.17, 09:19 schrieb "piotrz" <[hidden email]>:

    Hi Chris,

    I'm not sure from that point whether we can cut next RC or not. It seems
    that we have to still make your steps which you described earlier? Am I
    right?

    Piotr

    -----
    Apache Flex PMC

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

piotrz
Chris,

If you are not going to do this, I can try but probably I will have a lot of questions and it's not going to happen soon. I will have time on maybe today (but cannot promise) and on wednesday.

Just let me know. Even if you will do this I will pay attention to each of your commits in order to handle this one next time.

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Christofer Dutz
I just wrote down the process:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Releasing+FlexJS+with+Maven

Chris

Am 13.06.17, 10:08 schrieb "piotrz" <[hidden email]>:

    Chris,

    If you are not going to do this, I can try but probably I will have a lot of
    questions and it's not going to happen soon. I will have time on maybe today
    (but cannot promise) and on wednesday.

    Just let me know. Even if you will do this I will pay attention to each of
    your commits in order to handle this one next time.

    -----
    Apache Flex PMC

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Hi guys,

>It seems to me there is some interest in the extended community to see a release out

It's still hard for me to understand the technical details but it seems to me that the discussion Maven over Ant has reached a new climax which is not very helpful at least.

Maybe I got something wrong because of the language barrier but I miss some appreciation to Alex being the RM, especially because it sounds like that he has very little time which is maybe one reason for him to stick with Ant.

However, I'm not sure but it feels like there's no consensus about how to proceed to get a release?
If that's the case could somebody summarize what's needed?

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

piotrz
Hi Olaf,

I think we need to go through the steps which Chris provided and then we can cut another RC.

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Hi Christofer,

Does the RM execute these steps locally or on builds.a.o?
Do we need logins to Nexus?
Does "mvn release:perform" checkout from a tag, or head or something else?
 Could it checkout from a tag?

On 6/13/17, 1:34 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I just wrote down the process:
>https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcwiki.apa
>che.org%2Fconfluence%2Fdisplay%2FFLEX%2FReleasing%2BFlexJS%2Bwith%2BMaven&
>data=02%7C01%7C%7C14b48ccc0f22498c429508d4b2370041%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed
>2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636329396675696127&sdata=r1Dt1o5D8Ycdsb5B%2FR%2BEZt5
>I2YiW0t29ITw9yOJSouE%3D&reserved=0
>
>Chris
>
>Am 13.06.17, 10:08 schrieb "piotrz" <[hidden email]>:
>
>    Chris,
>
>    If you are not going to do this, I can try but probably I will have a
>lot of
>    questions and it's not going to happen soon. I will have time on
>maybe today
>    (but cannot promise) and on wednesday.
>
>    Just let me know. Even if you will do this I will pay attention to
>each of
>    your commits in order to handle this one next time.
>
>    Thanks,
>    Piotr
>

>    -----
>    Apache Flex PMC
>    [hidden email]
>    --
>Nabble.com.

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

piotrz
I think I did update develop branch to 0.9.-SNAPSHOT. Build of compiler and typedefs went fine, but FlexJS is failing and I'm not sure why.

It's searching this some swc [1] but with version + date:

Could not find artifact org.apache.flex.flexjs.typedefs:flexjs-typedefs-parent:pom:0.9.0-20170614.163928-7

Any idea ?

[1] https://paste.apache.org/0OI4

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Here is my understanding what need to be done in this release.
1) Fix issue with patching typedefs
2) Cut next RC, if vote pass I will try to execute Chris's steps starting from p. 4 [1] (Josh help me to understand it.) in order to deploy released artifacts and change branch from 0.8.0-SNAPSHOT to 0.8.0.

Does anyone see something more?

Apart of that develop branch Maven build is failing after my switch to 0.9.0-SNAPSHOT. I'm pretty sure that we had similar issue and I think Josh last time fix it, but I'm not sure. Mys local build is working fine. I'll try to look into this later today.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Releasing+FlexJS+with+Maven

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Josh Tynjala
As I understand it, we need the pom.xml versions to be updated to 0.8.0
before we cut the RC. That was the biggest issue. The RC can't have
0.8.0-SNAPSHOT in it.

- Josh

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 3:02 AM, piotrz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is my understanding what need to be done in this release.
> 1) Fix issue with patching typedefs
> 2) Cut next RC, if vote pass I will try to execute Chris's steps starting
> from p. 4 [1] (Josh help me to understand it.) in order to deploy released
> artifacts and change branch from 0.8.0-SNAPSHOT to 0.8.0.
>
> Does anyone see something more?
>
> Apart of that develop branch Maven build is failing after my switch to
> 0.9.0-SNAPSHOT. I'm pretty sure that we had similar issue and I think Josh
> last time fix it, but I'm not sure. Mys local build is working fine. I'll
> try to look into this later today.
>
> [1]
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/
> Releasing+FlexJS+with+Maven
>
> Piotr
>

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

piotrz
Ahh! Ok so I will change the poms later today.

Once Vote pass we will be able to deploy it to the apache maven central by Chris instruction.

Got it!

Thanks Josh once again!

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

I did the changes, but need to do more test whether I didn't forget about something. I will push everything tomorrow - if there will not be any veto.

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Justin Mclean
Administrator
Hi,

> I did the changes, but need to do more test whether I didn't forget about
> something. I will push everything tomorrow - if there will not be any veto.

Just a friendly reminder that a -1 on a release vote is not a veto. You need 3 +1’s and more +1’s than -1’s for a release vote to pass.

However a RM may still cancel a release if a serious issue is found and/or thinks another RC is needed.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

I just tested and pushed the changes to release branch, additionally fixed one small bug. Once build [1] pass I think we are ready to go.

Fix for patching problem was also committed by Justin.

[1] https://builds.apache.org/view/E-G/view/Flex/job/FlexJS%20Pipeline/job/release0.8.0/37/

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

piotrz
Ok build finished successfully.

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Alex Harui-2
I still don't think we have clarity on how to complete this release.

AIUI, nobody has run any of the Maven commands in [1].  Instead, versions
in POM files have been manually updated?

If I run my Ant scripts to produce another set of artifacts, who is going
to run what steps in order to produce maven artifacts?  It sounds like
there are some choices and I want to make sure we have agreement before I
go and spend any more time on this release.

1) Unpack the Ant source artifact, run Maven on it.  Manually copy the
Maven artifacts to Maven Central.  That's a lot of artifacts so sounds
really painful.  Voters are voting on the Ant-produced source packages.
2) Run the steps in [1].  Adjust my Ant scripts to work from the 3 source
artifacts produced by the steps in [1].  Vote on the 3 Maven source
packages.
3) Run the steps in [1].  Also run the Ant scripts to produce Ant-based
artifacts.  Manually verify that the source package produced by Maven is
"essentially the same" as the Ant-produced source packages.  Voters are
voting on the Ant-produced source packages and also have to verify the
Maven source is "essentially the same".
4) Same as 3 but voters have to examine and vote on both the 3 Maven
source packages and the 2 Ant-produced source packages.

There might be other ideas as well.  Essentially, I think it comes down to
how we want to interpret the rules about binary packages being produced
from source packages.  IMO, we could have just renamed some artifacts and
manually modified POMs and called it done.

Also, it sounds like for many of these choices I have to get a Nexus
account and run the steps in [1] or is some other volunteer going to do
that?

Thoughts?
-Alex

On 6/15/17, 11:25 PM, "piotrz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Ok build finished successfully.
>
>Piotr
>

>-----
>Apache Flex PMC
>[hidden email]

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

piotrz
Hi Alex,

I think option 3 is almost what I think we should do.

- Ant - examining should be same as it was by Approval script - No change here.

- Maven:
1) Build Maven from sources downloaded by Approval script (I think it should be possible to build FlexJS and Falcon) or checkout release branch and build it. Typedefs should also be examined by that.
2) Perform Maven steps: - I think I can handle that. For this release we will be able to do only part of those steps. Let me explain why:

Step 1-2) Should be done as a first thing - cause as part of that step we are creating new branch for the release - We already have it. ("release0.8.0) - As yo probably notice I did this steps and commit new branch, but that was a mistake and Josh helped me understand it. - I did revert. Almost manually changed develop to 0.9.0-SNAPSHOT

Step 4) That's the mysterious for me a bit, cause as I understand after step 1-3 we have release branch where our version is 0.8.0-SNAPSHOT (That is our branch) and develop branch is in version 0.9.0-SNAPSHOT. - I did perform this step cause we were in exactly this situation.

Maven asked me about "next development version" when I was performing this step - Which was unnecessary, cause I did setup my development version on "develop", so I was trying to set "0.8.0", but it didn't work. I decided to do this manually on our "release0.8.0" branch.

Steps 5 - 8) This is what I should do next if you Alex and of course others also agreed that we can start VOTE. I'm only concerns about signing artifacts - not sure what is this mean, but I hope Maven will do this for me.

As for the login to nexus - That is also what I need to figure out, but I'm assuming that as PMC I have access to Apache nexus.''

Waiting for thoughts and green light.

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Josh Tynjala
You're going to want to get your signing key ready:

https://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html

- Josh

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 11:40 AM, piotrz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> I think option 3 is almost what I think we should do.
>
> - Ant - examining should be same as it was by Approval script - No change
> here.
>
> - Maven:
> 1) Build Maven from sources downloaded by Approval script (I think it
> should
> be possible to build FlexJS and Falcon) or checkout release branch and
> build
> it. Typedefs should also be examined by that.
> 2) Perform Maven steps: - I think I can handle that. For this release we
> will be able to do only part of those steps. Let me explain why:
>
> Step 1-2) Should be done as a first thing - cause as part of that step we
> are creating new branch for the release - We already have it.
> ("release0.8.0) - As yo probably notice I did this steps and commit new
> branch, but that was a mistake and Josh helped me understand it. - I did
> revert. Almost manually changed develop to 0.9.0-SNAPSHOT
>
> Step 4) That's the mysterious for me a bit, cause as I understand after
> step
> 1-3 we have release branch where our version is 0.8.0-SNAPSHOT (That is our
> branch) and develop branch is in version 0.9.0-SNAPSHOT. - I did perform
> this step cause we were in exactly this situation.
>
> Maven asked me about "next development version" when I was performing this
> step - Which was unnecessary, cause I did setup my development version on
> "develop", so I was trying to set "0.8.0", but it didn't work. I decided to
> do this manually on our "release0.8.0" branch.
>
> Steps 5 - 8) This is what I should do next if you Alex and of course others
> also agreed that we can start VOTE. I'm only concerns about signing
> artifacts - not sure what is this mean, but I hope Maven will do this for
> me.
>
> As for the login to nexus - That is also what I need to figure out, but I'm
> assuming that as PMC I have access to Apache nexus.''
>
> Waiting for thoughts and green light.

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC1

Alex Harui-2
And Nexus isn't an Apache thing AFAICT.  You might have to read up on how
it integrates with Maven.

Thanks for offering to help out on the Maven side.  I'm concerned that you
can't just take manually/locally built artifacts and follow the steps to
publish those artifacts.  I think those steps might be expecting a staging
repository with artifacts produced from a branch it created in earlier
steps.

Regardless, we need to get more consensus around whether we will try
process #3.

-Alex

12345