[DRAFT] Flex Logo :: site page

Michael Schmalle
This is taken from João Saleiro original draft.

I am resubmitting this to the list to get approval to make a page on
the site "rebranding.mb".

I think this needs to get up so the discussions about the logo can be
pointed at the site.

When does the contest end?

Thanks,
Mike

TODO

* link - http://incubator.apache.org/flex/rebranding
* date-end - closing of contest

Apache Flex Re-branding Initiative

On the 31th of December, 2011, the Apache Software Foundation has
accepted the Flex SDK into incubation. Apache Flex is now a community
project managed by Apache (ASF). The migration from Adobe to Apache
involves a re-branding and you can contribute by proposing the new
Apache Flex logo.

Your proposal will be published on the Flex Incubation website [link]
next to the other proposals and in [date-end] the community will
choose the new logo through voting on the Apache Flex Mailing List at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-flex-dev/.

GUIDELINES

The logo should meet the requirements below:

- two versions of the logo: a rectangle (full brand) and a square
(icon, for example)
- be prepared to be scaled up or down
- be able to translate to a 2 color look
   - 2 color (black/white, 2 greys, etc)
- be able to be inverted if running on a dark background
- should not resemble the current Adobe Flex logo
- it should comply with the Apache branding requirements at
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

INSPIRATION

While designing the logo, keep in mind what describes Flex:

- User Experience
- Ubiquity / Cross-platform
- Enterprise
- Community Driven
- Why are you developing with Flex?

DEADLINE

[date-end]

- A PNG version of the logo (and it's scalable variations)
- A ZIP file with all assets

LICENSE

The authors of the selected Apache Flex logo(s) will need to donate them to
the Apache Flex project according to the  Apache individual
contributor license: http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

Re: [DRAFT] Flex Logo :: site page

Doug Arthur
On Jan 7, 2012 9:31 AM, "Michael Schmalle" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is taken from João Saleiro original draft.
>

> I am resubmitting this to the list to get approval to make a page on the
site "rebranding.mb".

> I think this needs to get up so the discussions about the logo can be
pointed at the site.

> When does the contest end?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>

> TODO
>
> * link - http://incubator.apache.org/flex/rebranding
> * date-end - closing of contest

> Apache Flex Re-branding Initiative
>
> On the 31th of December, 2011, the Apache Software Foundation has
accepted the Flex SDK into incubation. Apache Flex is now a community
project managed by Apache (ASF). The migration from Adobe to Apache
involves a re-branding and you can contribute by proposing the new Apache
Flex logo.

> Your proposal will be published on the Flex Incubation website [link]
next to the other proposals and in [date-end] the community will choose the
new logo through voting on the Apache Flex Mailing List at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-flex-dev/.

> GUIDELINES
>
> The logo should meet the requirements below:
>
> - two versions of the logo: a rectangle (full brand) and a square (icon,
for example)
> - be prepared to be scaled up or down
> - be able to translate to a 2 color look
>  - 2 color (black/white, 2 greys, etc)
> - be able to be inverted if running on a dark background
> - should not resemble the current Adobe Flex logo
> - it should comply with the Apache branding requirements at
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

> INSPIRATION
>
> While designing the logo, keep in mind what describes Flex:
>
> - User Experience
> - Ubiquity / Cross-platform
> - Enterprise
> - Community Driven
> - Why are you developing with Flex?
>
> DEADLINE
>
> [date-end]

> - A PNG version of the logo (and it's scalable variations)
> - A ZIP file with all assets
>
> LICENSE
>
> The authors of the selected Apache Flex logo(s) will need to donate them
> the Apache Flex project according to the  Apache individual
> contributor license: http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

I vote one week from publish date, so let's hurry up and post it. I would
start the vote thread myself, but I'm on my mobile and that would be to
complicated. Mike, I think you should kick of our first vote!

- Doug

Re: [DRAFT] Flex Logo :: site page

Bertrand Delacretaz
On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Michael Schmalle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ... the community will choose the new
> logo through voting on the Apache Flex Mailing List at
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-flex-dev/.

I'd rather point to
http://incubator.apache.org/flex/mailing-lists.html and specify that
it's the developers mailing list.

> ...Send to the Apache Flex Mailing List...

And repeat the link here or use a footnote in both places.

-Bertrand

Re: [DRAFT] Flex Logo :: site page

Michael Schmalle
Quoting Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Michael Schmalle
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ... the community will choose the new
>> logo through voting on the Apache Flex Mailing List at
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-flex-dev/.
>
> I'd rather point to
> http://incubator.apache.org/flex/mailing-lists.html and specify that
> it's the developers mailing list.
>
>> ...Send to the Apache Flex Mailing List...
>
> And repeat the link here or use a footnote in both places.
>
> -Bertrand

Ok will edit that Bertrand, do you see any other glaring errors/omissions?

Mike

Re: [DRAFT] Flex Logo :: site page

Michael Schmalle
Bertrand,

Apache Flex Re-branding Initiative

On the 31th of December, 2011, the Apache Software Foundation has
accepted the Flex SDK into incubation. Apache Flex is now a community
project managed by Apache (ASF). The migration from Adobe to Apache
involves a re-branding and you can contribute by proposing the new
Apache Flex logo.

Your proposal will be published on the Flex Incubation website [1]
next to the other proposals and in [date-end] the community will
choose the new logo through voting on the Apache Flex Mailing List at
[2].

[...]

Send to the Apache Flex Mailing List [2]

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/flex/rebranding/submissions.html

Re: [DRAFT] Flex Logo :: site page

Jun Heider

On Jan 7, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Michael Schmalle wrote:

> Apache Flex Re-branding Initiative

Thanks for putting that draft together for the contest.  Looks perfect to me. Doug had mentioned one week to submit the logo, I'm thinking maybe two? I mean it *is* the logo...

Re: [DRAFT] Flex Logo :: site page

Peter Elst
> Thanks for putting that draft together for the contest.  Looks perfect to
> me. Doug had mentioned one week to submit the logo, I'm thinking maybe two?
> I mean it *is* the logo...

Are we looking for "the logo" or an incubator project logo? Think it might
be worth to ask people to ask to submit just a proposal - doesn't have to
be the finished completely polished thing IMHO.

If its just a design proposal would personally recommend making the
deadline not too long and a week would be fine, we can take our time once
the vote picks which one we want to go with.

- Peter

Re: [DRAFT] Flex Logo :: site page

Jun Heider

On Jan 7, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Peter Elst wrote:

> Are we looking for "the logo" or an incubator project logo? Think it might
> be worth to ask people to ask to submit just a proposal - doesn't have to
> be the finished completely polished thing IMHO.
>
> If its just a design proposal would personally recommend making the
> deadline not too long and a week would be fine, we can take our time once
> the vote picks which one we want to go with.
>

> - Peter

That's a good point.  If it's just a proposal that can be tweaked after the contest is over then yeah I agree a week would suffice.  Anyone have any thoughts of if this logo would be the final one or just a proposal?

Re: [DRAFT] Flex Logo :: site page

Jun Heider

On Jan 7, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Michael Schmalle wrote:

> Send to the Apache Flex Mailing List [2]
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/flex/rebranding/submissions.html

Michael, should you update your [VOTE] thread with the links you added to the page content proposal in the [DRAFT] thread?

Re: [DRAFT] Flex Logo :: site page

Michael Schmalle
Quoting Jun Heider <[hidden email]>:

> On Jan 7, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Michael Schmalle wrote:
>

>> Send to the Apache Flex Mailing List [2]
>>
>> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/flex/rebranding/submissions.html
>>

> Michael, should you update your [VOTE] thread with the links you
> added to the page content proposal in the [DRAFT] thread?

Yeah, I should do that. Thanks.

Mike