[FLEXJS] Modules

I just pushed a rudimentary version of modules.  Regular Flex Modules were
separate SWFs of classes that could be compiled separately from the main
application and loaded after application startup as well thus helping to
manage development time and startup time and download bandwidth.

FlexJS modules work pretty much the same way, although we currently don't
have a way to unload modules from memory.  For SWF, a module is a separate
SWF.  For JS, it depends on whether you are running in debug mode or not.
The production module in bin/js-release is a single .js file with a
companion .css file but no HTML wrapper.  It is simply loaded as a
<script> tag into the main HTML wrapper.

For debug mode, the result of compiling a module is a ton of JS files just
like the js-debug folder of a FlexJS application, and a XX__deps.js file
that contains the goog.addDependency calls for the module.  I couldn't
find a way to get GCC to not care about the framework JS files that are
already in the main application's js-debug folder, so there is a duplicate
set of JS files for any FlexJS class that both the main application and
module use.  The XX__deps.js file needs to be tweaked to indicate the
correct path to the module's js files, but the framework js files that are
unique to the module need to be copied into the main application's
js-debug folders.

Also note, because we don't have a way to get GCC to not care about
framework JS files used in both the main app and module, the production
module's JS file contains duplicates of those common classes.  In theory
though, it should be possible to write a tool that extracts the shared
classes from the module's JS files.

In getting it to work so far, I've learned some potentially interesting
things.  We can use a mapping file to control the production name of the
classes, but I don't think it can be dot-path.  GCC generally renames
those package dot-path expressions into a single variable like
org$apache$flex$core$UIBase.  Then GCC replaces that name with an even
shorter name like "P".  Production modules work by controlling the
variable renaming in the module so that if UIBase gets renamed to "P" in
the main app, it also is "P" in the module.  We could use more friendly
name, but I don't think it is worth the extra size.  But it does generally
mean that a module can only work with a main application it is paired with
because we need to use the same renaming map for both application and
module.  This was sort of true in regular Flex in that a regular Flex
module often depended on classes being already loaded by the application.

Re: [FLEXJS] Modules

Olaf Krueger
Hi Alex,
great that you've heard the community voice and start working on this!

>...and loaded after application startup...

Does this mean that a FlexJS module is loaded from the server (same origin as the main app?) by some magic or is it already bundled and delivered with the FlexJS app and will just be instantiated when it's needed?

Re: [FLEXJS] Modules

Alex Harui-2
Hi Olaf,

Hopefully there is no "magic".  I think it works pretty much like regular
Flex modules.  There is a UIModuleLoader that loads a Mouse compiled and
defined from a UIModule.  You can defer the downloading and instantiation
of the module by controlling when the UIModuleLoader's URL for the module
gets set.  In theory, the URL can point to anywhere you have permission to
load and run code in a JS file.  So the module does not have to be bundled
and delivered with the application files.

Of course, I expect there are still bugs and missing features that need to
be worked out.

On 8/18/17, 1:30 AM, "Olaf Krueger" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>great that you've heard the community voice and start working on this!
>
>>...and loaded after application startup...
>
>Does this mean that a FlexJS module is loaded from the server (same origin
>as the main app?) by some magic or is it already bundled and delivered
>with
>the FlexJS app and will just be instantiated when it's needed?
>
>Thanks,
>Olaf

Re: [FLEXJS] Modules

Carlos Rovira
Hi Alex,

very interesting. That was one of the other things I needed, so great to
see make it real! :)

Questions:

1.- I remember Peter did some work on this. Could you tell us main
diferences between Peter's work and yours to understand more about the
implementation?

2.- Can I found some example in our repo to check it and play with it?

3.- About the draw backs you mention, there's some progress on it or do you
think in left as is for the moment?, those problems of duplicated js files
should be a problem, or only something to clean in some way in the future?

Thanks for making this!

Carlos

--

<http://www.codeoscopic.com>

Carlos Rovira

Director General

M: +34 607 22 60 05

http://www.codeoscopic.com

http://www.avant2.es

Conocenos en 1 minuto! <https://youtu.be/P2IEAYDG5HU>

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FLEXJS] Modules

Alex Harui-2
Hi Carlos,

Peter's work ended up being more like SWFLoader.  It loads something much
more like a sub-application.

There is a examples/flexjs/ModuleExample folder.

I have not spent any time on resolving any of the drawbacks mentioned in
the original post.  First, I want to see how important it is to folks.
For example if your module is small enough, maybe we don't need to spend
time on trying to extract duplicates.

On 9/6/17, 4:09 PM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Carlos Rovira"
<[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636403361742122060&sdata=i3iplm%2B5TO
>o9BCQyxDS4RYkthBQ661n2KRcl6vtjkEA%3D&reserved=0>
>

>Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario y puede contener
>información privilegiada o confidencial. Si ha recibido este mensaje por
>error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y
>proceda a su destrucción.
>
>De la vigente Ley Orgánica de Protección de Datos (15/1999), le
>comunicamos
>que sus datos forman parte de un fichero cuyo responsable es CODEOSCOPIC
>S.A. La finalidad de dicho tratamiento es facilitar la prestación del
>servicio o información solicitados, teniendo usted derecho de acceso,
>rectificación, cancelación y oposición de sus datos dirigiéndose a
>nuestras
>oficinas c/ Paseo de la Habana 9-11, 28036, Madrid con la documentación

Re: [FLEXJS] Modules

Carlos Rovira
Ok Alex,

I'll be looking at the example and seeing how it performs and give some
feedback. I think it could work for me at least, but I suppose that in the
end we would need to clean those duplicates in order to have a more
"production" feature

Thanks!

--

<http://www.codeoscopic.com>

Carlos Rovira

Director General

M: +34 607 22 60 05

http://www.codeoscopic.com

http://www.avant2.es

Conocenos en 1 minuto! <https://youtu.be/P2IEAYDG5HU>

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FLEXJS] Modules

Carlos Rovira
Hi Alex,

I'm looking to the ModulesExample but is not working for me. I tried to
build with regular maven instruction (men clean install) in parent folder
of both main app and module. Then run localy and upload to a server, but
main app doesn't load and reports 404.

In code I see:

<js:UIModuleLoader modulePath="modules" moduleName="Module" />

so modulePath gets a value of "modules", but where is "modules"?

btw, can I test this localy or only on a server to get proper paths?

Thanks!

Carlos

--

<http://www.codeoscopic.com>

Carlos Rovira

Director General

M: +34 607 22 60 05

http://www.codeoscopic.com

http://www.avant2.es

Conocenos en 1 minuto! <https://youtu.be/P2IEAYDG5HU>

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FLEXJS] Modules

Alex Harui-2
I tested it locally.  I only got the Maven build to create the artifacts.
I wasn't sure of the best way to deploy the artifacts.  Can you help with
that?  As I mentioned in the first post, for js-debug you have to copy
stuff around.  I just ran the Maven build, make a folder in
MainApp/target/javascript/bin/js-release called "modules" and copied
Module/target/javascript/bin/js-release/Module.js into
MainApp/target/javascript/bin/js-release/modules and then opened
MainApp/target/javascript/bin/js-release/index.html

I think you can look at the Ant scripts and see how they handle the
js-debug output and bin-debug output

If you are getting a 404, do you know which URL it couldn't find?

On 9/7/17, 9:13 AM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Carlos Rovira"
> [...]

>5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636403976623856175&sdata=0clZFir1xjRm
>JuQv1Ni1qNeoIbDCGMLo9xcW4WTcYfk%3D&reserved=0>
>

>Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario y puede contener
>información privilegiada o confidencial. Si ha recibido este mensaje por
>error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y
>proceda a su destrucción.
>
>De la vigente Ley Orgánica de Protección de Datos (15/1999), le
>comunicamos
>que sus datos forman parte de un fichero cuyo responsable es CODEOSCOPIC
>S.A. La finalidad de dicho tratamiento es facilitar la prestación del
>servicio o información solicitados, teniendo usted derecho de acceso,
>rectificación, cancelación y oposición de sus datos dirigiéndose a
>nuestras
>oficinas c/ Paseo de la Habana 9-11, 28036, Madrid con la documentación

Re: [FLEXJS] Modules

Thanks for looking into it.

Regarding duplicates, I've got plenty of things to work on, so having
someone else handle duplicates would be best.  I think it would be done as
post-processing text manipulation.  No compiler knowledge needed.  But
again, I think we need to assess how important it is.  If your FlexJS
modules are half the size of the SWF modules, will it really matter that
there are duplicates?  I think maybe if there are issues with static
initializers being re-initialized that would require elimination of
duplicates.

If anyone wants to try to create a utility to remove duplicates, I think
it is a matter of finding the beginning and end of a class definition in
the minified code.  I think you look for "function " get the name that
follows and all text until then next "function " is the code for that
class.  If the main app already has a function of that name, you remove
that from output file.

HTH,
-Alex

On 9/7/17, 5:35 AM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Carlos Rovira"
> [...]

>5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636403845372798227&sdata=b2%2BRT%2B5f
>icaLLNxneW2StQU4m3Xn8GnO1aMH%2FvBZF%2Fc%3D&reserved=0>
>

>Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario y puede contener
>información privilegiada o confidencial. Si ha recibido este mensaje por
>error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y
>proceda a su destrucción.
>
>De la vigente Ley Orgánica de Protección de Datos (15/1999), le
>comunicamos
>que sus datos forman parte de un fichero cuyo responsable es CODEOSCOPIC
>S.A. La finalidad de dicho tratamiento es facilitar la prestación del
>servicio o información solicitados, teniendo usted derecho de acceso,
>rectificación, cancelación y oposición de sus datos dirigiéndose a
>nuestras
>oficinas c/ Paseo de la Habana 9-11, 28036, Madrid con la documentación

Re: [FLEXJS] Modules

Hi Alex,

I finaly get it working localy. Wasn't aware that I should copy the .js
file to MainApp target folder.

Know seeing how it works, and talking about duplicates, I think we could
only need to put some maven instrucción in the pom so the .js will be
copied automatically, and look for duplication removal at some later time.
I think is not so important right now.

I'll try to look at that solution and see if I can find something that do
that easily

thanks!

--

<http://www.codeoscopic.com>

Carlos Rovira

Director General

M: +34 607 22 60 05

http://www.codeoscopic.com

http://www.avant2.es

Conocenos en 1 minuto! <https://youtu.be/P2IEAYDG5HU>

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FLEXJS] Modules

piotrz
Carlos,

If I may suggest something you can look into tourjs [1] project where I did
copying in poms.

[1] https://github.com/apache/flex-tourjs/blob/develop/TourJS/pom.xml

Piotr

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017, 23:24 Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> M: +34 607 22 60 05
>
> http://www.codeoscopic.com
>
> http://www.avant2.es
>

> Conocenos en 1 minuto! <https://youtu.be/P2IEAYDG5HU>
>

> Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario y puede contener
> información privilegiada o confidencial. Si ha recibido este mensaje por
> error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y
> proceda a su destrucción.
>
> De la vigente Ley Orgánica de Protección de Datos (15/1999), le comunicamos
> que sus datos forman parte de un fichero cuyo responsable es CODEOSCOPIC
> S.A. La finalidad de dicho tratamiento es facilitar la prestación del
> servicio o información solicitados, teniendo usted derecho de acceso,
> rectificación, cancelación y oposición de sus datos dirigiéndose a nuestras
> oficinas c/ Paseo de la Habana 9-11, 28036, Madrid con la documentación

Re: [FLEXJS] Modules

Carlos Rovira
Hi Piotr, that sounds very good! I'll try that, thanks! :)