Flex Air Support

lgabrielmf
Hello everyone!

I'm finishing a product that I'll soon release to the market and I've used Apache Flex Air as the desktop client. How are the expectations about Apache Flex Air? Will it continue to be supported?

Thanks for your attention.

Re: Flex Air Support

Alex Harui

On 4/2/17, 6:47 PM, "lgabrielmf" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello everyone!
>
>I'm finishing a product that I'll soon release to the market and I've used
>Apache Flex Air as the desktop client. How are the expectations about
>Apache
>Flex Air? Will it continue to be supported?
>
>Thanks for your attention.

Hi,

Apache Projects are volunteer-driven.  There is no corporation that can
affect it.  But that also means that it requires volunteers to keep it
running.  The best way to ensure the longevity of Apache Flex is to become
a committer and PMC member yourself, by offering patches for bug fixes,
tests and new features (and other non-coding contributions like
documentation).  As long as there are at least 3 PMC members who are
active in the project, it will go on "forever".

Re: Flex Air Support

Nicholas Kwiatkowski-2
Apache Flex is an open-source project -- so it won't be "going away".
Right now we have a thriving community that is actively contributing code
to it's success (in fact, we just released a new version of the SDK a few
weeks ago).

Adobe AIR is a toolkit that takes the output of Apache Flex and makes it a
desktop application.  This is owned and managed by Adobe.  It is not
open-source.  Adobe does have a commitment for at least another year to
continue development on it, and from the current trajectory, it seems they
will continue development further, but there is no guarantee. Either way,
even if it were to go away on day 1, you can still use it to make your
applications.

-Nick

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 9:47 PM, lgabrielmf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I'm finishing a product that I'll soon release to the market and I've used
> Apache Flex Air as the desktop client. How are the expectations about
> Apache
> Flex Air? Will it continue to be supported?
>
> Thanks for your attention.

Re: Flex Air Support

lgabrielmf
  Thanks a lot for the responses!

  Let me ask another question then. What about the FlexJS project? Is it a safe alternative to migrate code from Flex Air/Actionscript to HTML/Javascript?

  Cheers,

Gabriel

On 3 Apr 2017, at 03:29, Alex Harui [via Apache Flex Development] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 4/2/17, 6:47 PM, "lgabrielmf" <<a href="x-msg://33/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=60973&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello everyone!
>
>I'm finishing a product that I'll soon release to the market and I've used
>Apache Flex Air as the desktop client. How are the expectations about
>Apache
>Flex Air? Will it continue to be supported?
>
>Thanks for your attention.

Hi,

Apache Projects are volunteer-driven.  There is no corporation that can
affect it.  But that also means that it requires volunteers to keep it
running.  The best way to ensure the longevity of Apache Flex is to become
a committer and PMC member yourself, by offering patches for bug fixes,
tests and new features (and other non-coding contributions like
documentation).  As long as there are at least 3 PMC members who are
active in the project, it will go on "forever".

http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/Flex-Air-Support-tp60972p60973.html
To unsubscribe from Flex Air Support, click here.
NAML

Re: Flex Air Support

Nicholas Kwiatkowski-2
FlexJS is a framework that allows you to take your existing ActionScript
and build HTML5 based application from that.

There is no support for the FlexSDK UI components -- but there are many
comparable components that exist and are being created.  Essentially, you
will be able to bring over your business logic, but you will need to
re-create your UI code from scratch to support the HTML5 environment.

FlexJS is where a majority of this project's efforts are going at the
moment.  It will break us from the dependencies of the Flash and AIR
runtimes.

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 6:56 AM, lgabrielmf <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   Thanks a lot for the responses!
>
>   Let me ask another question then. What about the FlexJS project? Is it a
> safe alternative to migrate code from Flex Air/Actionscript to
> HTML/Javascript?
>
>   Cheers,
>
> Gabriel
>

> > On 3 Apr 2017, at 03:29, Alex Harui [via Apache Flex Development] <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > On 4/2/17, 6:47 PM, "lgabrielmf" <[hidden email]
> <x-msg://33/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=60973&i=0>> wrote:
> >
> > >Hello everyone!
> > >
> > >I'm finishing a product that I'll soon release to the market and I've
> used
> > >Apache Flex Air as the desktop client. How are the expectations about
> > >Apache
> > >Flex Air? Will it continue to be supported?
> > >
> > >Thanks for your attention.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Apache Projects are volunteer-driven.  There is no corporation that can
> > affect it.  But that also means that it requires volunteers to keep it
> > running.  The best way to ensure the longevity of Apache Flex is to
> become
> > a committer and PMC member yourself, by offering patches for bug fixes,
> > tests and new features (and other non-coding contributions like
> > documentation).  As long as there are at least 3 PMC members who are
> > active in the project, it will go on "forever".
> >
> > -Alex

> below:
> > http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/Flex-Air-Support-
> tp60972p60973.html <http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.
> com/Flex-Air-Support-tp60972p60973.html>
> > To unsubscribe from Flex Air Support, click here <http://apache-flex-
> development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?
> macro=unsubscribe_by_code&node=60972&code=bGdhYnJpZWxtZkBnbWFpbC5jb218Nj
> A5NzJ8NDk4NTA4MTUy>.
> > NAML <http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.
> com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_
> html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.
> BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-
> nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=
> notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%
> 21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Flex Air Support

lgabrielmf
  Oh, now that you’ve cleared up I could do some initial tests and it looks great. One can benefit a lot from using FlexJS to migrate the ActionScript application’s core to JS.

  I will definitely look at it later on.

  At this moment I don’t have the time to migrate the application. The first release of my product is planned for the next month. I love Apache Flex AIR, but I think it may be too risky to rely on Apache Air in the long run. As you’ve said there’s no guarantee that Adobe will continue it’s development. I still have some time, though. And I think all I can do for now is hope that Apache Flex live longer. It’s definitely a great technology and I had a lot of fun developing in it’s platform.

  Cheers,

Gabriel

http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/Flex-Air-Support-tp60972p61070.html