[Flex/FlexJS] External dependencies (Adobe, Google, ...)

[Flex/FlexJS] External dependencies (Adobe, Google, ...)

we have to do a decision in near future what we will do with our Flex apps.
So I'd like to know if there are any external dependencies that could stop our Flex or FlexJS apps from working.

Flex:
Is there something needed to do at Adobes side to ensure that Flex apps will work with future AIR releases? And if so, is there any commitment by Adobe that they will support Flex in future?

FlexJS:
If we just speak about JS, are there any dependencies to Adobe left?
Speaking about swf, what's about replacing FlashPlayer by AIR within FlexJS. Is this a realistic scenario?
Are there any other crucial dependencies that could be a problem in future? (Closure compiler?)

Thanks for help!

Re: [Flex/FlexJS] External dependencies (Adobe, Google, ...)

Jeffry Houser

On 8/22/2017 10:54 AM, Olaf Krueger wrote:
> Hi,
> we have to do a decision in near future what we will do with our Flex apps.
> So I'd like to know if there are any external dependencies that could stop
> our Flex or FlexJS apps from working.
>
> Flex:
> Is there something needed to do at Adobes side to ensure that Flex apps will
> work with future AIR releases? And if so, is there any commitment by Adobe
> that they will support Flex in future?

  For all intents and purposes, Flex is an ActionScript framework. The
compiler adds some syntactical sugar (MXML), but it compiles down to
ActionScript.
  As long as Adobe AIR continues to support ActionScript, there is no
reason why Flex would stop working.

  To my knowledge, Adobe offers no formal support for Apache Flex. They
offer some indirect support, such as the time Adobe employees dedicate
to the Apache Flex project.  What sort of commitment are you looking for?

  Someone else can chime in on FlexJS specifics.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
203-379-0773

Re: [Flex/FlexJS] External dependencies (Adobe, Google, ...)

For JS output, there shouldn't be any dependencies for FlexJS on anything
that isn't open source and with an Apache compatible license.  I suppose
someone could remove some of the third party files we use from the
internet, but I think that's unlikely.

FlexJS SWF output should work just fine on AIR as well as FlashPlayer.

HTH,
-Alex

On 8/22/17, 7:54 AM, "Olaf Krueger" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>we have to do a decision in near future what we will do with our Flex
>apps.
>So I'd like to know if there are any external dependencies that could stop
>our Flex or FlexJS apps from working.
>
>Flex:
>Is there something needed to do at Adobes side to ensure that Flex apps
>will
>work with future AIR releases? And if so, is there any commitment by Adobe
>that they will support Flex in future?
>
>FlexJS:
>If we just speak about JS, are there any dependencies to Adobe left?
>Speaking about swf, what's about replacing FlashPlayer by AIR within
>FlexJS.
>Is this a realistic scenario?
>Are there any other crucial dependencies that could be a problem in
>future?
>(Closure compiler?)
>
>Thanks for help!
>Olaf

Re: [Flex/FlexJS] External dependencies (Adobe, Google, ...)

>What sort of commitment are you looking for?
I was not sure about if there something is needed in the AIR source code to support Flex.
But of course as you said it's all about AS3 and that should work...

Re: [Flex/FlexJS] External dependencies (Adobe, Google, ...)

Thanks Alex, that helps!