Flex Roadmap 2019

leokan23
Hi all,

I know that most of the people here are working hard on the Royale SDK, but
I was wondering if there is anyone interested on updating / extending /
improving Flex SDK. If so, we could discuss what might be good additions for
2019 and make a roadmap.

For example I am working heavily with a Material Theme from @quick6black and
was thinking about making a Cupertino for iOS.

Re: Flex Roadmap 2019

Olaf Krueger
Hi Leo,

>I was wondering if there is anyone interested on updating / extending /
>improving Flex SDK.

Even if we're started using Royale we still heavily rely on Flex/AIR here
and I guess we're not alone.

> If so, we could discuss what might be good additions for
> 2019 and make a roadmap.

I think the problem with roadmaps is that enough resources are needed to
process them.
That said, we're at Apache here and the progress depends on anybody of us
;-)
However, I think if we get some contributions we should try to bundle our
forces in order to get another release out.

I am curious about what others think about it.

Re: Flex Roadmap 2019

leokan23
True. Roadmap can become heavy but maybe we can note down some things which
might be interesting on working for 2019. Although Royale looks awesome, the
mobile part which uses Cordova can't compete with Flex (cordova has a very
poor performance).

So I was thinking about working on the following for 2019:
Material Theme - Skin Mobile components to use the latest Material (Android)
Cupertino Theme - Skin Mobile components to use the latest iOS theme

Of course it would be good to join forces and add some things :)

Re: Flex Roadmap 2019

Alex Harui-2
Regarding Cordova performance:  Can you provide a test case or links to articles that prove this claim?  I've heard it before, but could not find proof that it will affect most "companion"-style  Flex mobile apps.  It might affect games.

    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C84bd80bdf77c4446113608d664ee0503%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636807370789642150&amp;sdata=DXuwGjmRWLIHm1514nXSYyMqctK9543%2FPIHSaqnHN44%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Flex Roadmap 2019

Carlos Rovira-3
Hi Leokan,

since many of the people here is working in Royale is hard that we could
join these efforts. But I think are very valuable and interesting. I stil
think Flex is very valid and can be used long time with AIR for Desktop,
iOS and Android. So if you want to work on that with Olaf and others, I
think you should and make as you make progress and start to push valid PRs,
we can vote to make you committer in Apache Flex so you can work with more
ease against Apache Flex repo.

Hope you like the idea and could we see some days Material and Cupertino
themes for Flex to become a reality :)

What do you think?

El mar., 18 dic. 2018 a las 19:07, Alex Harui (<[hidden email]>)
escribió:

> Regarding Cordova performance:  Can you provide a test case or links to
> articles that prove this claim?  I've heard it before, but could not find
> proof that it will affect most "companion"-style  Flex mobile apps.  It
> might affect games.

> On 12/18/18, 5:37 AM, "leokan23" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     True. Roadmap can become heavy but maybe we can note down some things
> which
>     might be interesting on working for 2019. Although Royale looks
> awesome, the
>     mobile part which uses Cordova can't compete with Flex (cordova has a
> very
>     poor performance).
>
>     So I was thinking about working on the following for 2019:
>     Material Theme - Skin Mobile components to use the latest Material
> (Android)
>     Cupertino Theme - Skin Mobile components to use the latest iOS theme
>
>     Of course it would be good to join forces and add some things :)
>

>     --
>     Sent from:
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C84bd80bdf77c4446113608d664ee0503%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636807370789642150&amp;sdata=DXuwGjmRWLIHm1514nXSYyMqctK9543%2FPIHSaqnHN44%3D&amp;reserved=0

http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Flex Roadmap 2019

leokan23
I will most likely making these themes for my company (Material is already
planned) so it wouldn't be too much trouble to open source.

Cupertino would be easy after that.

Other components might also be useful like Mobile Color Picker, Mobile
Calendar etc.

Carlos Rovira-3 wrote

> Hi Leokan,
>
> since many of the people here is working in Royale is hard that we could
> join these efforts. But I think are very valuable and interesting. I stil
> think Flex is very valid and can be used long time with AIR for Desktop,
> iOS and Android. So if you want to work on that with Olaf and others, I
> think you should and make as you make progress and start to push valid
> PRs,
> we can vote to make you committer in Apache Flex so you can work with more
> ease against Apache Flex repo.
>
> Hope you like the idea and could we see some days Material and Cupertino
> themes for Flex to become a reality :)
>
> What do you think?

Alex, I have worked extensively with Ionic and other products which use
Cordova. Although it is good for web to app implementations, it is still a
web page just wrapped in an app, using the system browser which can result
in poor performance. A simple test would be implementing and running
Fibonacci algorithm in cordova vs native or even flex. You can also check
this comparison vs react native
<https://www.simform.com/react-native-vs-ionic/>  . Long story short, not a
good option when focusing on mobile.

Alex Harui-2 wrote
>> Regarding Cordova performance:  Can you provide a test case or links to
>> articles that prove this claim?  I've heard it before, but could not find
>> proof that it will affect most "companion"-style  Flex mobile apps.  It
>> might affect games.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Alex

Re: Flex Roadmap 2019

quick6black
I would be interested in helping and would donate what I have done for
material to apache if they wanted to merge the code.

Re: Flex Roadmap 2019

leokan23
quick6black wrote
> I would be interested in helping and would donate what I have done for
> material to apache if they wanted to merge the code.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/

Not sure why that didn't happen. We use your skins a lot :) You are more
than welcome to help.

Re: Flex Roadmap 2019

Carlos Rovira-3
Hi

@quick6black, That's great! :). I think the best approach is that you make
a Pull Request of what you want to donate so it can be checked by Apache
Flex team.

@leokan23, I can't say anything about Ionic or others, but I can talk about
Apache Royale release mode in browsers has very very good performance. I'm
impressed. Still need to try to wrap with Cordova, and hope to see that
performance be maintained... just what I can say about my experience so far

Hope to see you guys doing this since I think a very good contribution :)

thanks!

Carlos