Flex Text Formatting suggestion

Lionel Andre Pierre
Please forgive if this is out of turn or place, it seems people are making
suggestions about the work they would like to see done on Flex and I would
like to contribute.

I've used Flex for about 5 years and always found text formatting to be
difficult and limited.

I would like to see as an alternative to TLF (Text Layout Framework).

Flex could benefit from some development geared toward correctly displaying
HTML/CSS formatted text.

The reasons behind this are:

1.       Flex applications could more easily tap into content that is being
shared through traditional web pages.

2.      HTML/CSS knowledge could be leveraged against Flex instead of the
TLF approach which cannot be used anywhere else (AFAIK)

3.      The MX Text Components were heading that way (with the HTMLText
properties) but the implementation was never up to par, I hope something can
be done there.

Lionel

Re: Flex Text Formatting suggestion

Alex Harui
Using Flex to render HTML/CSS as been thought to be a ton of work, but could
definitely happen with community support.  I have an old prototype on my
blog that I've been refactoring in my spare time.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

On 1/4/12 2:03 PM, "Lionel Andre Pierre" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please forgive if this is out of turn or place, it seems people are making
> suggestions about the work they would like to see done on Flex and I would
> like to contribute.
>
> I've used Flex for about 5 years and always found text formatting to be
> difficult and limited.
>

> I would like to see as an alternative to TLF (Text Layout Framework).
>
> Flex could benefit from some development geared toward correctly displaying
> HTML/CSS formatted text.
>

> The reasons behind this are:
>
> 1.       Flex applications could more easily tap into content that is being
> shared through traditional web pages.
>
> 2.      HTML/CSS knowledge could be leveraged against Flex instead of the
> TLF approach which cannot be used anywhere else (AFAIK)
>
> 3.      The MX Text Components were heading that way (with the HTMLText
> properties) but the implementation was never up to par, I hope something can
> be done there.
>
> Lionel

Re: Flex Text Formatting suggestion

Rick Winscot
Lionel,

I have a functional example that does some rudimentary HTML parsing and uses AS3 instead of JavaScript for scripting. The example handles just about anything in script, dynamic css, etc. The only thing it doesn't do is declarative parsing.

http://bit.ly/tRLTXF

Cheers,

Rick Winscot