Flex Website -- next steps

Nicholas Kwiatkowski-2
Looking for some opinions on moving forward with migrating the website off
the old "Apache CMS" and onto something a bit more modern.

For those who haven't dove into it -- Apache required the use of the
"Apache CMS" which was their platform for allowing projects to host
websites on the Apache servers.  It used a mix of scripts, mdtext and SVN
to allow comitters to push content to their sites.  Infra is looking to end
support of the CMS.

I'm proposing that Apache Flex switch to the Apache Infra supported Pelican
CMS.  It would allow us to switch to a supported method of posting site
updates (should we want to make them), and allow Infra to cut loose one
more site on the old platform.

Steps to convert include:

- Requesting a new GIT repository for the website
- Setup branches for dev/test/prod in GIT
- Move content over to GIT
- Modify all the .cmsPage pages to work with Pelican CMS   ***
- Move staging.flex.apache.org to point to new CMS/GIT site.
- Test site and CMS workflow
- Test and document scripts to update Flex Docs.
- Update Wiki with instructions on how to update the site using new CMS
- Push site to prod, and have infra point site to new site.

*** this step will take quite a bit of time, since I think we will have to
touch every page to make it compatible.

If the group is positive on this, I can get started going down this path.
If anybody has a passion to help, let me know.  My hope is to do most of
this work within a docker image to make setup and collaboration a bit more
portable.

TLDR;  Looking for +'s or -'s on moving the Apache Flex site to Pelican CMS.

-Nick

Re: Flex Website -- next steps

Carlos Rovira-3
Hi Nick,

+1

I don't know so much about Pelican, but sure will be the way to go since it
is the official.
For me using just GIT would be a great step forward since it was one of the
things that stopped me in the past (SVN).
Also, in Royale website repos (site and docs) we have a branch that is
published as soon as we commit in git (/asf-site), so if we could just
commit to that branch and get changes live will be very helpful and quick.

Thanks for taking the time. I'm ok with your proposal

El lun., 14 sept. 2020 a las 5:03, Nicholas Kwiatkowski (<
[hidden email]>) escribió:

> Looking for some opinions on moving forward with migrating the website off
> the old "Apache CMS" and onto something a bit more modern.
>
> For those who haven't dove into it -- Apache required the use of the
> "Apache CMS" which was their platform for allowing projects to host
> websites on the Apache servers.  It used a mix of scripts, mdtext and SVN
> to allow comitters to push content to their sites.  Infra is looking to end
> support of the CMS.
>
> I'm proposing that Apache Flex switch to the Apache Infra supported Pelican
> CMS.  It would allow us to switch to a supported method of posting site
> updates (should we want to make them), and allow Infra to cut loose one
> more site on the old platform.
>
> Steps to convert include:
>
> - Requesting a new GIT repository for the website
> - Setup branches for dev/test/prod in GIT
> - Move content over to GIT
> - Modify all the .cmsPage pages to work with Pelican CMS   ***
> - Move staging.flex.apache.org to point to new CMS/GIT site.
> - Test site and CMS workflow
> - Test and document scripts to update Flex Docs.
> - Update Wiki with instructions on how to update the site using new CMS
> - Push site to prod, and have infra point site to new site.
>
> *** this step will take quite a bit of time, since I think we will have to
> touch every page to make it compatible.
>
> If the group is positive on this, I can get started going down this path.
> If anybody has a passion to help, let me know.  My hope is to do most of
> this work within a docker image to make setup and collaboration a bit more
> portable.
>
> TLDR;  Looking for +'s or -'s on moving the Apache Flex site to Pelican
> CMS.
>
> -Nick

http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Flex Website -- next steps

piotrz
+1 with that. We can familiarize how do things in Pelican

pon., 14 wrz 2020 o 09:00 Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]>

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Flex Website -- next steps

+1 Thank you for working on this!!

Re: Flex Website -- next steps

Nicholas Kwiatkowski-2
Since I haven't seen any -1's or other negative comments, I'll get working
down this path.

-Nick

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 3:52 AM Olaf Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 Thank you for working on this!!

> Sent from: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Flex Website -- next steps

Carlos Rovira-3