[FlexJS] [Discuss] Automate stabilizing 'develop'?

[FlexJS] [Discuss] Automate stabilizing 'develop'?

Christofer Dutz
Hi,

As we are now in our 13th day of red builds I would like to propose an automated approach in keeping develop operational.

How about implementing an automatism, that automatically creates a new feature branch, if the build on develop fails for more than a day and then reverts develop back to the last known successful state?

Chris

Re: [FlexJS] [Discuss] Automate stabilizing 'develop'?

yishayw
Probably a good idea. I have two concerns. One is how to make it clear to the committer that s/he needs to make things work. When the build is broken it's at least clear that it needs to be fixed ASAP. The other is how to identify the faulty component. If Falcon is broken problems might manifest in asjs.

Re: [FlexJS] [Discuss] Automate stabilizing 'develop'?

Christofer Dutz
Hi,

Well I addressed this in the Pipeline build. This is one job and it fails if any of the builds in the pipeline fail. If you committed something and it fails, the chances are high, that it’s related to your changes. I usually double check the build after committing things.

But I guess the biggest problem is that people don’t seem to be looking at the output the build produces. Eventually even have filters on the commit list to filter out failing build emails. AND I think it’s a real problem that I hear a lot of “But it works on Ant” as an excuse. If I turn off tests, build without distribution and examples, I will also get a successful build with Maven, but I still won’t get running applications (This is what the integration-test module tests).

I guess implementing such an auto-branch-and-revert will not be easy … so I am thinking of just doing it manually. I am currently extremely worried about the significant drop in email and commit activity since the breaking changes (at least that’s my impression). Right now, someone working with the SNAPSHOT version will not be able to get a working application and that has been that way for about two weeks. That’s inacceptable from my point of view (

Chris

Am 05.04.17, 13:45 schrieb "yishayw" <[hidden email]>:

    Probably a good idea. I have two concerns. One is how to make it clear to the
    committer that s/he needs to make things work. When the build is broken it's
    at least clear that it needs to be fixed ASAP. The other is how to identify
    the faulty component. If Falcon is broken problems might manifest in asjs.

Re: [FlexJS] [Discuss] Automate stabilizing 'develop'?

Alex Harui

On 4/5/17, 5:09 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Well I addressed this in the Pipeline build. This is one job and it fails
>if any of the builds in the pipeline fail. If you committed something and
>it fails, the chances are high, that it’s related to your changes. I
>usually double check the build after committing things.
>
>But I guess the biggest problem is that people don’t seem to be looking
>at the output the build produces. Eventually even have filters on the
>commit list to filter out failing build emails.

That's a pretty strong accusation.  Do you have proof?

>I guess implementing such an auto-branch-and-revert will not be easy … so
>I am thinking of just doing it manually.

No objection from me if you want to work on it, but I am hopeful that this
is a "one-time" mess.  Big changes were happening in both the compiler and
the framework at the same time, and I think folks have promised to try to
use branches in the future.  I still haven't figured out how we will get
people to test the branches before merging to develop though.

When "dual" lands in "develop" I will make sure the builds will work, but
I'll bet it will break some apps.  We simply don't have enough tests to
guarantee that.

So, if you have cycles to spend on builds, as an alternative to this
problem, I'm more interested in the problem Yishay has been having getting
the Maven build to work.  I am hopeful we will have more Yishays trying to
get Maven to build locally and hopeful that once we get the develop branch
builds to work again we won't ever break it for as long again.  Should the
build detect Java 8 version and require the Java 8 build that won't have
this problem?

My 2 cents,
-Alex

FWIW, I've sent fewer emails since last Wednesday because I've been on the
road using mobile hotspots and had fewer hours to work.  This will remain
true through at least Monday the 10th.

Re: [FlexJS] [Discuss] Automate stabilizing 'develop'?

Christofer Dutz
I would eventually like to get rid of the dependency to the artifacts downloaded from SourceForge. Right now, I don’t quite remember what they are needed for. But I’ll wait till things are blue again as I currently can’t quality asure anything.

I just did a quick check and it should be enough to comment out the “fonrsrc” module in flexjs-framework/frameworks/pom.xml
The module is only used in the distribution and the DataBindingExample_Flat and the maven build should be able to download the artifact from the Apache Maven repo.

Chris

Am 05.04.17, 17:04 schrieb "Alex Harui" <[hidden email]>:

    On 4/5/17, 5:09 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Well I addressed this in the Pipeline build. This is one job and it fails
    >if any of the builds in the pipeline fail. If you committed something and
    >it fails, the chances are high, that it’s related to your changes. I
    >usually double check the build after committing things.
    >
    >But I guess the biggest problem is that people don’t seem to be looking
    >at the output the build produces. Eventually even have filters on the
    >commit list to filter out failing build emails.

    That's a pretty strong accusation.  Do you have proof?

    >I guess implementing such an auto-branch-and-revert will not be easy … so
    >I am thinking of just doing it manually.

    No objection from me if you want to work on it, but I am hopeful that this
    is a "one-time" mess.  Big changes were happening in both the compiler and
    the framework at the same time, and I think folks have promised to try to
    use branches in the future.  I still haven't figured out how we will get
    people to test the branches before merging to develop though.

    When "dual" lands in "develop" I will make sure the builds will work, but
    I'll bet it will break some apps.  We simply don't have enough tests to
    guarantee that.

    So, if you have cycles to spend on builds, as an alternative to this
    problem, I'm more interested in the problem Yishay has been having getting
    the Maven build to work.  I am hopeful we will have more Yishays trying to
    get Maven to build locally and hopeful that once we get the develop branch
    builds to work again we won't ever break it for as long again.  Should the
    build detect Java 8 version and require the Java 8 build that won't have
    this problem?

    My 2 cents,
    -Alex

    FWIW, I've sent fewer emails since last Wednesday because I've been on the
    road using mobile hotspots and had fewer hours to work.  This will remain
    true through at least Monday the 10th.

Re: [FlexJS] [Discuss] Automate stabilizing 'develop'?

Alex Harui
Most of source forge download is for font embedding. At one point you mentioned the possibility that you could write new font transcoder. That would truly be an awesome thing.