[FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
35 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Olaf Krueger
Hi guys,
it seems to me that since Adobe announced the EOL of FlashPlayer there's some more interest in FlexJS.
And it also seems to me that is still not so easy to get in touch with FlexJS for others.
One reason is probably the lack of the documentation.

My feeling is that some more documentation is more important than ever at this time where folks probably think about which path they will go with their Flex apps in future.

So I prioritized this task for myself and started a github wiki with the goal to fill the gap.
I decide to go with github instead of our wiki cause I think it is easier to contribute for anybody who is willing to help.
Moreover, the long term idea is to move to github pages to provide a shiny website dedicated to FlexJS.
Bootstrap, Angular and others do impressive things using github pages with static site generators.
If it turns out that this approach is helpful and if there are no technical issues it could be moved to Apache at any time of course.

This is the link to the wiki [1].
For now, it's just a scaffolding of what I would like to achieve at first. A lot of things are probably already available at other places but I think it is helpful to summarize all these things at one place.

The repo is not restricted to some collaborators so anybody who's willing to help should be able to start right now.

Thanks,
Olaf

[1] https://github.com/ok-at-github/flexjs-docs/wiki 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Harbs
+1.

Here’s some topics that we need:

1. Different Layout beads and what they do.
2. What beads can be applied to which components
3. List of components and differences between them (i.e. Container vs Group)

There’s probably much more, but these come immediately to mind.

> On Aug 9, 2017, at 2:13 PM, Olaf Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
> it seems to me that since Adobe announced the EOL of FlashPlayer there's
> some more interest in FlexJS.
> And it also seems to me that is still not so easy to get in touch with
> FlexJS for others.
> One reason is probably the lack of the documentation.
>
> My feeling is that some more documentation is more important than ever at
> this time where folks probably think about which path they will go with
> their Flex apps in future.
>
> So I prioritized this task for myself and started a github wiki with the
> goal to fill the gap.
> I decide to go with github instead of our wiki cause I think it is easier to
> contribute for anybody who is willing to help.
> Moreover, the long term idea is to move to github pages to provide a shiny
> website dedicated to FlexJS.
> Bootstrap, Angular and others do impressive things using github pages with
> static site generators.
> If it turns out that this approach is helpful and if there are no technical
> issues it could be moved to Apache at any time of course.
>
> This is the link to the wiki [1].
> For now, it's just a scaffolding of what I would like to achieve at first. A
> lot of things are probably already available at other places but I think it
> is helpful to summarize all these things at one place.
>
> The repo is not restricted to some collaborators so anybody who's willing to
> help should be able to start right now.
>
> Thanks,
> Olaf
>
> [1] https://github.com/ok-at-github/flexjs-docs/wiki 
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FlexJS-Docs-Started-with-some-docs-using-a-github-repo-tp63786.html
> Sent from the Apache Flex Development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Josh Tynjala
In reply to this post by Olaf Krueger
I recommend including a review of basic MXML language features in the
getting started material. Things like binding, states, and even just how to
add children to containers, listen to events, and things like that. It's
good for people completely new to Flex/FlexJS, but I think it's also
important for experienced Flex developers. It shows them that FlexJS still
has many of the features that they liked, and puts them on familiar ground
before they need to jump into the differences in FlexJS, like PAYG and
beads.

- Josh

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 4:13 AM, Olaf Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> it seems to me that since Adobe announced the EOL of FlashPlayer there's
> some more interest in FlexJS.
> And it also seems to me that is still not so easy to get in touch with
> FlexJS for others.
> One reason is probably the lack of the documentation.
>
> My feeling is that some more documentation is more important than ever at
> this time where folks probably think about which path they will go with
> their Flex apps in future.
>
> So I prioritized this task for myself and started a github wiki with the
> goal to fill the gap.
> I decide to go with github instead of our wiki cause I think it is easier
> to
> contribute for anybody who is willing to help.
> Moreover, the long term idea is to move to github pages to provide a shiny
> website dedicated to FlexJS.
> Bootstrap, Angular and others do impressive things using github pages with
> static site generators.
> If it turns out that this approach is helpful and if there are no technical
> issues it could be moved to Apache at any time of course.
>
> This is the link to the wiki [1].
> For now, it's just a scaffolding of what I would like to achieve at first.
> A
> lot of things are probably already available at other places but I think it
> is helpful to summarize all these things at one place.
>
> The repo is not restricted to some collaborators so anybody who's willing
> to
> help should be able to start right now.
>
> Thanks,
> Olaf
>
> [1] https://github.com/ok-at-github/flexjs-docs/wiki
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://apache-flex-
> development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FlexJS-Docs-Started-with-
> some-docs-using-a-github-repo-tp63786.html
> Sent from the Apache Flex Development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

PKumar
In reply to this post by Olaf Krueger
please add few pages  on following  topics. These are commonly  used in enterprise applications.

FlexJS Data  Binding
Formatters - Date Formatter , Number  Formatter etc
Validators - StringValidator, DateValidator etc
Popupwindow or Dialog in FlexJS
File Browse,  Upload and Download
HTTPService

Thanks,
Prashant
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Harbs
Data Binding needs special coverage because it requires some getting used to.

I’m not sure what the status of formatters and validators are. I think pretty weak at the moment.

We’re using the MDL dialog.

Another good topic is the fact that there’s a big difference between the behavior of “visible” between old Flex and FlexJS. In old Flex, visible still took up space. You needed states and includeIn to make components pop in and out. In FlexJS non-visible components take no space. This makes dynamic content much easier to declare.

> On Aug 9, 2017, at 6:51 PM, PKumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> please add few pages  on following  topics. These are commonly  used in
> enterprise applications.
>
> FlexJS Data  Binding
> Formatters - Date Formatter , Number  Formatter etc
> Validators - StringValidator, DateValidator etc
> Popupwindow or Dialog in FlexJS
> File Browse,  Upload and Download
> HTTPService
>
> Thanks,
> Prashant
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FlexJS-Docs-Started-with-some-docs-using-a-github-repo-tp63786p63789.html
> Sent from the Apache Flex Development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Olaf Krueger
Great input from all of you, thanks!
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that I don't know most of the FlexJS stuff myself so expect some traffic here on the list related to all the topics next time.

I'd like to create a demo (source code and live demo) for each particular topic and I think it makes sense to add this demos also to the examples folder of the asjs repo.
I remember that the compiled MDL examples are also available as JS/HTML live demo anywhere.
How does this work?

>Another good topic is the fact that there’s a big difference between the behavior of “visible” between old >Flex and FlexJS... You needed states and includeIn to make components pop in and out.

If I understand you right I think in classic Flex you just can to set includeInLayout to false?
I've just added it to the docs, would be great if you could verify what I've written [1].

Please keep in mind that anybody of you could contribute to the wiki right now.
Just click a topic and add or edit some content, it's pretty simple ;-)

Thanks,
Olaf

[1]
https://github.com/ok-at-github/flexjs-docs/wiki/Flex-vs-FlexJS-visibility-of-components
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

piotrz
Hi Olaf,

Great idea!!
As for the examples maybe it's worth to put them into FlexJS Tour where Peter start initial work [1]. I will refresh it once I get back from vacation. Anyone know whether we could take from Apache some new domain or how to put it as subpage of our website?

I will start slowly fill MDL part. Maybe put also things from binding, cause I did couple of fixes there.

[1] https://github.com/apache/flex-tourjs/tree/develop

Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Olaf Krueger
Hi Piotr,

>As for the examples maybe it's worth to put them into FlexJS Tour where Peter start initial work [1].
Is this FlexJS Tour already hosted anywhere as a live demo?

>Anyone know whether we could take from Apache some new domain or how to put it as subpage of our website?

Would be great to have apacheflexjs.org and flexjs.org.
One long term idea is to use some of these static site generators out there to create a shiny website.
I think a static site is much easier to maintain and it's free of any dependencies.


>I will start slowly fill MDL part.
Cool!
If you'll start I suggest to do it in the same way like the MDL demo:
They grouped components by its concern and put all components of a group on one page with a table of content at the top of the page.
Regarding the demos, I remember some discussions with Alex with the conclusion that it might be better to provide a particular demo by using just one file. So it could be easily copied and paste.
So at the end, we should provide some explanation, mxml, screenshots and a link to a working demo for each particular component.
I'll try to create an example tonight which could be used as template maybe.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks,
Olaf

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Nicholas Kwiatkowski-2
Getting a sub-domain isn't a big deal.  We just have to request it from
Apache Infra.  I doubt that getting a domain name hosted elsewhere with the
"apache" name it will fly, though.

The current site is actually managed by a static-site generator using
markdown.  I've jerry-rigged it so that if you post a .html file it won't
mess with it, so you can use FlexJS to generate a page and post it on our
site.

-Nick

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 3:54 AM, Olaf Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Piotr,
>
> >As for the examples maybe it's worth to put them into FlexJS Tour where
> Peter start initial work [1].
> Is this FlexJS Tour already hosted anywhere as a live demo?
>
> >Anyone know whether we could take from Apache some new domain or how to
> put
> it as subpage of our website?
>
> Would be great to have apacheflexjs.org and flexjs.org.
> One long term idea is to use some of these static site generators out there
> to create a shiny website.
> I think a static site is much easier to maintain and it's free of any
> dependencies.
>
>
> >I will start slowly fill MDL part.
> Cool!
> If you'll start I suggest to do it in the same way like the MDL demo:
> They grouped components by its concern and put all components of a group on
> one page with a table of content at the top of the page.
> Regarding the demos, I remember some discussions with Alex with the
> conclusion that it might be better to provide a particular demo by using
> just one file. So it could be easily copied and paste.
> So at the end, we should provide some explanation, mxml, screenshots and a
> link to a working demo for each particular component.
> I'll try to create an example tonight which could be used as template
> maybe.
>
> Enjoy your vacation!
>
> Thanks,
> Olaf
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://apache-flex-
> development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FlexJS-Docs-Started-with-
> some-docs-using-a-github-repo-tp63786p63800.html
> Sent from the Apache Flex Development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Olaf Krueger
Nicholas Kwiatkowski-2 wrote
The current site is actually managed by a static-site generator using
markdown.
What do you think about creating a site that is dedicated to FlexJS?

@Piotr
I've started to put some docs together for the mdl:badge bead. [1]
It's not complete and only a first shot.
Maybe we found some better pattern.
But I think we should find one documentation pattern that we could apply to all other beads and components that fit for all component sets in the same way.
I also don't know if it's a good idea to do the documentation of properties manually... but we have to start with something.

Thanks,
Olaf

[1]
https://github.com/ok-at-github/flexjs-docs/wiki/MDL-Badges

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

piotrz
Olaf,

I have in my head that we should some day create such website using FlexJS, but it would require some longer time.

Focusing on your documentation idea is the better one for now. I hope when it will be full we could automatically somehow generate some website and push to Apache everything. :)

Thanks,
Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Harbs
Let’s just focus on getting documentation written for now. It can always be re-organized later.

I just wrote what I think is a useful tutorial on using random HTML/CSS/JS. This should probably be included somehow…

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pW599xo-Icys-xXEeNi6tbTcH-iMepbTR6WcviLy7i8/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pW599xo-Icys-xXEeNi6tbTcH-iMepbTR6WcviLy7i8/edit?usp=sharing>

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:55 AM, piotrz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Olaf,
>
> I have in my head that we should some day create such website using FlexJS,
> but it would require some longer time.
>
> Focusing on your documentation idea is the better one for now. I hope when
> it will be full we could automatically somehow generate some website and
> push to Apache everything. :)
>
> Thanks,
> Piotr
>
>
>
> -----
> Apache Flex PMC
> [hidden email]
> --
> View this message in context: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FlexJS-Docs-Started-with-some-docs-using-a-github-repo-tp63786p63806.html
> Sent from the Apache Flex Development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Olaf Krueger
This is an awesome tutorial, thanks Harbs!
Hope I'll have some time to follow these steps by myself.

However, if I'll get your permission I will definitely help to put in on the github wiki.

Maybe we're also able to build a working example including a live demo...

Thanks,
Olaf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Harbs
Go for it! :-)

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 3:26 PM, Olaf Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is an awesome tutorial, thanks Harbs!
> Hope I'll have some time to follow these steps by myself.
>
> However, if I'll get your permission I will definitely help to put in on the
> github wiki.
>
> Maybe we're also able to build a working example including a live demo...
>
> Thanks,
> Olaf
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FlexJS-Docs-Started-with-some-docs-using-a-github-repo-tp63786p63808.html
> Sent from the Apache Flex Development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Olaf Krueger
>Go for it! :-)

Done! [1]
Looking forward to following the steps by myself.
If I'll be successful I'll add a working FlexJS example to the wiki.

Olaf

[1] https://github.com/ok-at-github/flexjs-docs/wiki/Adapting-HTML-CSS-JS-project
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Olaf Krueger
Forget about this:

>The advantage of MXML is that we can declare both JS code and the CSS in the same file.

I think you mean AS instead of JS?!

Thanks,
Olaf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Harbs
I meant the “copied JS”, but yes.

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 11:23 PM, Olaf Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Forget about this:
>
>> The advantage of MXML is that we can declare both JS code and the CSS in
> the same file.
>
> I think you mean AS instead of JS?!
>
> Thanks,
> Olaf
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FlexJS-Docs-Started-with-some-docs-using-a-github-repo-tp63786p63819.html
> Sent from the Apache Flex Development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

Harbs
In reply to this post by Olaf Krueger
One suggestion:

I think you should explicitly set a permissive license to any content on the wiki so we can repurpose it however we like without worrying about licensing afterwards.

> On Aug 9, 2017, at 2:13 PM, Olaf Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
> it seems to me that since Adobe announced the EOL of FlashPlayer there's
> some more interest in FlexJS.
> And it also seems to me that is still not so easy to get in touch with
> FlexJS for others.
> One reason is probably the lack of the documentation.
>
> My feeling is that some more documentation is more important than ever at
> this time where folks probably think about which path they will go with
> their Flex apps in future.
>
> So I prioritized this task for myself and started a github wiki with the
> goal to fill the gap.
> I decide to go with github instead of our wiki cause I think it is easier to
> contribute for anybody who is willing to help.
> Moreover, the long term idea is to move to github pages to provide a shiny
> website dedicated to FlexJS.
> Bootstrap, Angular and others do impressive things using github pages with
> static site generators.
> If it turns out that this approach is helpful and if there are no technical
> issues it could be moved to Apache at any time of course.
>
> This is the link to the wiki [1].
> For now, it's just a scaffolding of what I would like to achieve at first. A
> lot of things are probably already available at other places but I think it
> is helpful to summarize all these things at one place.
>
> The repo is not restricted to some collaborators so anybody who's willing to
> help should be able to start right now.
>
> Thanks,
> Olaf
>
> [1] https://github.com/ok-at-github/flexjs-docs/wiki 
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FlexJS-Docs-Started-with-some-docs-using-a-github-repo-tp63786.html
> Sent from the Apache Flex Development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

piotrz
In reply to this post by Olaf Krueger
Olaf,

I think I get lost a bit. I've tried edit Moonshine sub page. I clicked on it and click Edit, but it's appear as an separate page. [1][2]

Why it happened ?

[1] https://github.com/ok-at-github/flexjs-docs/wiki/Moonshine-IDE
[2] https://github.com/ok-at-github/flexjs-docs/wiki/Moonshine

Thanks,
Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [FlexJS][Docs] Started with some docs using a github repo

piotrz
Olaf,

NVM I figure out how it is working. Another stranger things is that I've edited Moonshine IDE page, but I don't seen in the revision my changes [1]. Maybe I should be added as contributor ?

[1] https://github.com/ok-at-github/flexjs-docs/wiki/Home/_history

Thanks,
Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com
12
Loading...