FlexJS Random crazy thought

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

FlexJS Random crazy thought

Harbs
I was thinking about how we could increase adoption of FlexJS and I had a thought:

How crazy would it be to make Falcon understand TypeScript?

TypeScript is currently very popular for many of the reasons that we like ActionScript. The difference is that ActionScript is not the current fad. There are also many js libraries written in TypeScript.

If FalconJX would be able to compile .as files alongside .ts files, TypeScript code could become first-class citizens in the FlexJS ecosystem. That would accomplish two things:

1. TypeScript code could be used as-is in a project.
2. It would make FlexJS an option for many TypeScript developers and give FlexJS a shot at vastly increased adoption.

Thoughts?
Harbs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FlexJS Random crazy thought

Alex Harui-2
It is probably technically possible.  But would it attract TS folks?

Other crazy ideas along these lines are:

1) have FalconJX output TS as well as JS
2) extend AS with some of the popular TS features
3) make sure it is really easy to use TS libraries in FlexJS.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

On 8/7/17, 8:11 AM, "Harbs" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I was thinking about how we could increase adoption of FlexJS and I had a
>thought:
>
>How crazy would it be to make Falcon understand TypeScript?
>
>TypeScript is currently very popular for many of the reasons that we like
>ActionScript. The difference is that ActionScript is not the current fad.
>There are also many js libraries written in TypeScript.
>
>If FalconJX would be able to compile .as files alongside .ts files,
>TypeScript code could become first-class citizens in the FlexJS
>ecosystem. That would accomplish two things:
>
>1. TypeScript code could be used as-is in a project.
>2. It would make FlexJS an option for many TypeScript developers and give
>FlexJS a shot at vastly increased adoption.
>
>Thoughts?
>Harbs

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FlexJS Random crazy thought

Josh Tynjala
In reply to this post by Harbs
I've considered the idea of extending the TypeScript compiler to understand
MXML, and <fx:Script> elements would contain TypeScript instead of
ActionScript. Creating a new compiler for TypeScript would be a massive
effort (even considering the similarities between ActionScript and
TypeScript), so it would be better to piggyback on Microsoft's work, in my
opinion. Especially since it would be a never-ending game of catch up as
TypeScript continues to evolve.

- Josh

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 8:11 AM, Harbs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was thinking about how we could increase adoption of FlexJS and I had a
> thought:
>
> How crazy would it be to make Falcon understand TypeScript?
>
> TypeScript is currently very popular for many of the reasons that we like
> ActionScript. The difference is that ActionScript is not the current fad.
> There are also many js libraries written in TypeScript.
>
> If FalconJX would be able to compile .as files alongside .ts files,
> TypeScript code could become first-class citizens in the FlexJS ecosystem.
> That would accomplish two things:
>
> 1. TypeScript code could be used as-is in a project.
> 2. It would make FlexJS an option for many TypeScript developers and give
> FlexJS a shot at vastly increased adoption.
>
> Thoughts?
> Harbs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FlexJS Random crazy thought

Alex Harui-2
Sure, trying to replicate the TS compiler in our code base would be a lot
of work especially if we wanted to also get SWF output.

But I think for JS-only output there is a possible shortcut where we
replace Google Closure Compiler with the TS compiler and essentially pass
through the TS code.

Of course, I could be wrong.

-Alex

On 8/7/17, 9:16 AM, "Josh Tynjala" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I've considered the idea of extending the TypeScript compiler to
>understand
>MXML, and <fx:Script> elements would contain TypeScript instead of
>ActionScript. Creating a new compiler for TypeScript would be a massive
>effort (even considering the similarities between ActionScript and
>TypeScript), so it would be better to piggyback on Microsoft's work, in my
>opinion. Especially since it would be a never-ending game of catch up as
>TypeScript continues to evolve.
>
>- Josh
>
>On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 8:11 AM, Harbs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I was thinking about how we could increase adoption of FlexJS and I had
>>a
>> thought:
>>
>> How crazy would it be to make Falcon understand TypeScript?
>>
>> TypeScript is currently very popular for many of the reasons that we
>>like
>> ActionScript. The difference is that ActionScript is not the current
>>fad.
>> There are also many js libraries written in TypeScript.
>>
>> If FalconJX would be able to compile .as files alongside .ts files,
>> TypeScript code could become first-class citizens in the FlexJS
>>ecosystem.
>> That would accomplish two things:
>>
>> 1. TypeScript code could be used as-is in a project.
>> 2. It would make FlexJS an option for many TypeScript developers and
>>give
>> FlexJS a shot at vastly increased adoption.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>> Harbs

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FlexJS Random crazy thought

Harbs
Combining Josh’s idea and this one sounds really interesting.

> It is probably technically possible.  But would it attract TS folks?


I don’t know, but there’s lots of advantages to Flex that might attract folks if they could use a language they’re comfortable with.

I’m not sure how well TypeScript transpiled code gets handled by the Google compiler where it would have to go for minification.

> 1) have FalconJX output TS as well as JS

I’m not sure I understand the value of this.

> 2) extend AS with some of the popular TS features

That would be nice. ES6/7/8 features as well.

> 3) make sure it is really easy to use TS libraries in FlexJS.

A big +1 on this.

> On Aug 7, 2017, at 7:39 PM, Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sure, trying to replicate the TS compiler in our code base would be a lot
> of work especially if we wanted to also get SWF output.
>
> But I think for JS-only output there is a possible shortcut where we
> replace Google Closure Compiler with the TS compiler and essentially pass
> through the TS code.
>
> Of course, I could be wrong.
>
> -Alex
>
> On 8/7/17, 9:16 AM, "Josh Tynjala" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've considered the idea of extending the TypeScript compiler to
>> understand
>> MXML, and <fx:Script> elements would contain TypeScript instead of
>> ActionScript. Creating a new compiler for TypeScript would be a massive
>> effort (even considering the similarities between ActionScript and
>> TypeScript), so it would be better to piggyback on Microsoft's work, in my
>> opinion. Especially since it would be a never-ending game of catch up as
>> TypeScript continues to evolve.
>>
>> - Josh
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 8:11 AM, Harbs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I was thinking about how we could increase adoption of FlexJS and I had
>>> a
>>> thought:
>>>
>>> How crazy would it be to make Falcon understand TypeScript?
>>>
>>> TypeScript is currently very popular for many of the reasons that we
>>> like
>>> ActionScript. The difference is that ActionScript is not the current
>>> fad.
>>> There are also many js libraries written in TypeScript.
>>>
>>> If FalconJX would be able to compile .as files alongside .ts files,
>>> TypeScript code could become first-class citizens in the FlexJS
>>> ecosystem.
>>> That would accomplish two things:
>>>
>>> 1. TypeScript code could be used as-is in a project.
>>> 2. It would make FlexJS an option for many TypeScript developers and
>>> give
>>> FlexJS a shot at vastly increased adoption.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>> Harbs
>

Loading...