[FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

Peter Ent
Hi,

Yesterday I intended to merge the feature/chart_work branch into develop. After I ran some more tests with more complex container structures I found a problem with one of the layouts. I finally worked it out, so now I'm running through all of the examples to make sure they compile so the build completes.

I will not merge into develop until tomorrow, Friday 7 Apr 2017, in the afternoon EDT (after 6pm UTC). I will keep you posted.

Regards,
Peter Ent
Adobe Systems/Apache Flex Project

Re: [FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

piotrz
Hi Peter,

I just tried MDLExample and it look good, but MDLDynamicTabsExample has same problem. Something is going wrong when Tab is being added.

Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

Peter Ent
I see that. I thought I fixed that. I'll look it while I'm building the
examples.
‹peter

On 4/6/17, 5:55 PM, "piotrz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Peter,
>
>I just tried MDLExample and it look good, but MDLDynamicTabsExample has
>same
>problem. Something is going wrong when Tab is being added.
>
>Piotr
>

>-----
>Apache Flex PMC
>[hidden email]

Re: [FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

Peter Ent
I've been working on this most of the day. I think there is something more
fundamental going on that this example has uncovered. There appear to be
duplicate events happening causing event handlers to be registered
multiple times. I'm not comfortable releasing this yet into develop.

I'll continue to work on it over the weekend and we'll see where I get by
Monday.

Regards,
Peter

On 4/7/17, 7:41 AM, "Peter Ent" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I see that. I thought I fixed that. I'll look it while I'm building the
>examples.
>‹peter
>
>On 4/6/17, 5:55 PM, "piotrz" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Hi Peter,
>>
>>I just tried MDLExample and it look good, but MDLDynamicTabsExample has
>>same
>>problem. Something is going wrong when Tab is being added.
>>
>>Piotr
>>

>>-----
>>Apache Flex PMC
>>[hidden email]
>>--
>>x-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2FFlexJS-feature-chart-work-status-tp
>>6
>>1035p61036.html&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ceab9e55a09c44c3abba808d47d38ecc1%7Cfa7b
>>1
>>b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636271130849952954&sdata=WQwjZQCjhY
>>ugbdoLNyqOtuIJX%2FtAh94muXgCW9GKIs%3D&reserved=0
>>Sent from the Apache Flex Development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: [FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

piotrz
Peter,

If you stack on something let me know I will have some free cycles on Sunday.

Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

Peter Ent
Thanks. I'm having trouble understanding what code is changing the active
tab panel. I can see in the DOM, a tab with is-active set and a
corresponding tab panel has is-active set.

After I add a new tab, things look normal in the DOM. I can now select the
new tab and see that the new tab gets is-active set and the new panel gets
is-active set; no other tab or panel has is-active set.

Then I click from the new tab to a previous tab and the new tab has
is-active removed and the other tab has is-active set. But the new panel
is still is-active while the panel corresponding to the tab I clicked also
has is-active set. I'm trying to figure out where that is happening, but
the tab selection code isn't being called as far as I can tell. Is it now
just happening in CSS?

There is also a number of extra events happening, but I don't think that
is specific to the MDL code. Since a lot of this code is reused for
multiple components, its a little difficult to tell what is actually
happening.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

‹peter

On 4/7/17, 2:46 PM, "piotrz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Peter,
>
>If you stack on something let me know I will have some free cycles on
>Sunday.
>
>Piotr
>

>-----
>Apache Flex PMC
>[hidden email]

Re: [FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

piotrz
Hi Peter,

After couple of hours of investigation I have found the reason and fixed bug. You can check it.
But still something is wrong in case when TabBar is using TabsItemRendererFactoryForArrayData. If you could take a look that would be great!

Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

Ahh I forgot to mention that you can see issue when you look into MDLExample. Main TabBar do not display Tabs.

Basically in TabBarView itemsCreated method has not been called.

If you lost in there I will put some basic example.

Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

Peter Ent
I will look into it and let you know. I changed the life cycle for lists
just a little. I found that the item renderers were being created more
than once (sometimes) and the layouts were being run several times
(sometimes) so I tracked down redundant event dispatches and eliminated
them. Then I went back through examples to see what was depending on the
eliminated events and adjusted them. This is probably the same case. Once
this works out the event flow should be consistent.

‹peter

On 4/9/17, 6:26 PM, "piotrz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Ahh I forgot to mention that you can see issue when you look into
>MDLExample.
>Main TabBar do not display Tabs.
>
>Basically in TabBarView itemsCreated method has not been called.
>
>If you lost in there I will put some basic example.
>
>Piotr
>

>-----
>Apache Flex PMC
>[hidden email]

Re: [FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

Peter Ent
I know have MDLExample working.

I think I did this unwittingly: The MaterialDesignLite project's
default.css has the IDateProviderItemRendererMapper for the Tabs and
TabBar components specified as TabsItemRendererFactoryForArrayListData.
But the dataProvider being supplied to the tab components were Arrays and
not ArrayLists.

I changed the data models to supply ArrayLists for the dataProviders and
now the tabs are working. I think our changes together made this work
again.

Perhaps MDL should have a single item renderer data factory that is
universal in that it can accept either Array or ArrayList data and help
prevent this from happening in the future. I set this type of thing up in
the Express package (which I still have to test, now that I write this).

This is the feature/chart-work branch.

Regards,
Peter

On 4/9/17, 6:26 PM, "piotrz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Ahh I forgot to mention that you can see issue when you look into
>MDLExample.
>Main TabBar do not display Tabs.
>
>Basically in TabBarView itemsCreated method has not been called.
>
>If you lost in there I will put some basic example.
>
>Piotr
>

>-----
>Apache Flex PMC
>[hidden email]

Re: [FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

Peter Ent
I now have the feature/chart-work branch in good shape: the frameworks
projects build and so do all of the examples; both ANT and maven builds
ran. I'm much, much more confident in the changes and stability of this
feature branch than I was last week.

I ran the following examples successfully: ChartExample,
DataBindingExample, DataGridExample, FlexJSStore, DesktopMap, DateChooser,
MDLExample, and TreeExample. Several of the others need some reworking but
I think they are just layout issues.

The changes in this feature branch reduce the amount of HTML nodes created
and reduce the number of times layouts are invoked upon component
start-up. I found several cases of redundant events and shifted some code
around to make things more consistent and streamlined.

My next task is to write up a Wiki page on the FlexJS site (or amend
existing pages, as needed). I will be writing about component creation,
life cycle, and layout development.

I would like to merge feature/chart-work into development tomorrow. I do
not anticipate any further changes unless someone finds issues that would
prevent this.

If there are specific examples or build questions, I'll be happy to answer
them as best I can.

Regards,
Peter

On 4/10/17, 9:44 AM, "Peter Ent" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I know have MDLExample working.
>
>I think I did this unwittingly: The MaterialDesignLite project's
>default.css has the IDateProviderItemRendererMapper for the Tabs and
>TabBar components specified as TabsItemRendererFactoryForArrayListData.
>But the dataProvider being supplied to the tab components were Arrays and
>not ArrayLists.
>
>I changed the data models to supply ArrayLists for the dataProviders and
>now the tabs are working. I think our changes together made this work
>again.
>
>Perhaps MDL should have a single item renderer data factory that is
>universal in that it can accept either Array or ArrayList data and help
>prevent this from happening in the future. I set this type of thing up in
>the Express package (which I still have to test, now that I write this).
>
>This is the feature/chart-work branch.
>
>Regards,
>Peter
>
>On 4/9/17, 6:26 PM, "piotrz" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Ahh I forgot to mention that you can see issue when you look into
>>MDLExample.
>>Main TabBar do not display Tabs.
>>
>>Basically in TabBarView itemsCreated method has not been called.
>>
>>If you lost in there I will put some basic example.
>>
>>Piotr
>>

>>-----
>>Apache Flex PMC
>>[hidden email]
>>--
>>x-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2FFlexJS-feature-chart-work-status-tp
>>6
>>1035p61069.html&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ca87dd5981445498e7c8508d47f98cec9%7Cfa7b
>>1
>>b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636273741673604657&sdata=%2BiQ9rmOD
>>jFFdb9Ii3fx8Ci1OAWwUPUBiVbTK0RRrHY%3D&reserved=0
>>Sent from the Apache Flex Development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

WebAssembly Flash ByPass

Jason Taylor
WebAssembly is officially supported in both Chrome and Firefox right now, and in the rest very soon.
WebAssembly can take LLVM and compiles to a binary format that works cross browser at near native speeds without any plugin.
LightSpark is an open source implemention of the flash player written in C++ that can compile to LLVM.  Potentionally we can compile LightSpark to LLVM and be able to run all flash apps in all browsers without any plugin and completely bypass the death of the flash player.   Thoughts?
~ JT

Re: WebAssembly Flash ByPass

Gary Yang
Yeah the life in Mars could be very exciting, let me know when you are
there ...

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Jason Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> WebAssembly is officially supported in both Chrome and Firefox right now,
> and in the rest very soon.
> WebAssembly can take LLVM and compiles to a binary format that works cross
> browser at near native speeds without any plugin.
> LightSpark is an open source implemention of the flash player written in
> C++ that can compile to LLVM.  Potentionally we can compile LightSpark to
> LLVM and be able to run all flash apps in all browsers without any plugin
> and completely bypass the death of the flash player.   Thoughts?
> ~ JT

RE: WebAssembly Flash ByPass

Jason Taylor
yes because LLVM to LLVM is sooooo difficult... You have actually have anything constructive to contribute?

Yeah the life in Mars could be very exciting, let me know when you are there ...

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Jason Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> WebAssembly is officially supported in both Chrome and Firefox right
> now, and in the rest very soon.
> WebAssembly can take LLVM and compiles to a binary format that works
> cross browser at near native speeds without any plugin.
> LightSpark is an open source implemention of the flash player written
> in
> C++ that can compile to LLVM.  Potentionally we can compile LightSpark
> C++ to
> LLVM and be able to run all flash apps in all browsers without any plugin
> and completely bypass the death of the flash player.   Thoughts?
> ~ JT

Re: WebAssembly Flash ByPass

Hi Gary,

Please be tolerant to Jason's opinion and ideas. Apache Flex is an open source project and if Jason would like to bring some idea here he is very welcome, same as you.

Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

Christofer Dutz
+1 for merging as you say you tested FlexJSStore and it’s working, we might get develop working again, which is a rather desirable thing ;-)

Chris

Am 10.04.17, 20:40 schrieb "Peter Ent" <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

    >>Ahh I forgot to mention that you can see issue when you look into
    >>MDLExample.
    >>Main TabBar do not display Tabs.
    >>
    >>Basically in TabBarView itemsCreated method has not been called.
    >>
    >>If you lost in there I will put some basic example.
    >>
    >>Piotr
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>-----
    >>Apache Flex PMC
    >>[hidden email]
    >>--
    >>x-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2FFlexJS-feature-chart-work-status-tp
    >>6
    >>1035p61069.html&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ca87dd5981445498e7c8508d47f98cec9%7Cfa7b
    >>1
    >>b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636273741673604657&sdata=%2BiQ9rmOD
    >>jFFdb9Ii3fx8Ci1OAWwUPUBiVbTK0RRrHY%3D&reserved=0
    >>Sent from the Apache Flex Development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Thank you for your patience on this. I did run maven as well on my
directories and got a clean run.

On 4/10/17, 4:29 PM, "Christofer Dutz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>    >>Piotr
>    >>
>    >>
>    >>
>    >>-----
>    >>Apache Flex PMC
>    >>[hidden email]
>    >>--
>
>>>https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-f
>    >>e
>
>>>x-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2FFlexJS-feature-chart-work-status-t
>    >>6
>
>>>1035p61069.html&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ca87dd5981445498e7c8508d47f98cec9%7Cfa7
>    >>1
>
>>>b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636273741673604657&sdata=%2BiQ9rmO
>    >>B
>    >>jFFdb9Ii3fx8Ci1OAWwUPUBiVbTK0RRrHY%3D&reserved=0
>    >>Sent from the Apache Flex Development mailing list archive at

No mean to be offensive, implementing everything in WebAssembly feels just
like talking about living in Mars, even with HTML/Javascript/CSS regardless
of performance, after so many years ...

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 4:18 PM, piotrz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> Please be tolerant to Jason's opinion and ideas. Apache Flex is an open
> source project and if Jason would like to bring some idea here he is very
> welcome, same as you.
>
> Piotr
>

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC

RE: WebAssembly Flash ByPass

Jason Taylor
Why would we be implementing anything? I'm talking about taking LightSpark as is (with their 252 open bugs) compiling it to LLVM, using that input for the WebAssembly compiler and compiling the output binary as a LightSpark WebAssembly drop in flash player.  This has nothing to do with the existing FlexJS work and is merely to allow the existing flash apps to run in browser, cross platform without a plug-in (such as Safari on iOS).   Not quite sure what exactly is so crazy here.  Sorry, FlexJS will never give us the performance we (Dedoose) need, so extending the life cycle of the flash player a couple more years to buy us time for a complete rewrite in a performant client technology is pretty important to us.
~ JT

No mean to be offensive, implementing everything in WebAssembly feels just like talking about living in Mars, even with HTML/Javascript/CSS regardless of performance, after so many years ...

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 4:18 PM, piotrz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> Please be tolerant to Jason's opinion and ideas. Apache Flex is an
> open source project and if Jason would like to bring some idea here he
> is very welcome, same as you.
>
> Piotr
>

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC

Re: WebAssembly Flash ByPass

Harbs
I would be very interested in hearing how an experiment like that would work out.