Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Gudu
Hello all,

I have lots of MXML and ActionScript file. I have been tried to convert these files to HTML/JS using FlaconJX and FlexJS. I like to ask if someone has any success converting Flex application with FlexJS or FalconJX.
I have followed this instruction to configure the development environment:https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Falcon+and+FalconJX+Developer+Setup but I didn't manage to set the development environment.

Is it possible to convert Flex application to HTML5/JS using FlaconJX or FlexJS?

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

PKumar
Not completely, you can re-use your existing business logic and back end serverice but view components you have to rewrite using FlexJS components set.

On 07-Jun-2017 2:14 PM, "Gudu [via Apache Flex Development]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I have lots of MXML and ActionScript file. I have been tried to convert these files to HTML/JS using FlaconJX and FlexJS. I like to ask if someone has any success converting Flex application with FlexJS or FalconJX.
I have followed this instruction to configure the development environment:https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Falcon+and+FalconJX+Developer+Setup but I didn't manage to set the development environment.

Is it possible to convert Flex application to HTML5/JS using FlaconJX or FlexJS?

http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/Is-it-possible-to-Convert-Flex-Application-to-HTML5-tp62212.html
To start a new topic under Apache Flex Development, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Apache Flex Development, click here.
NAML

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Hi Gudu,

The answer is yes and no.
Yes - You will be able in most cases convert your business logic which is not have dependency to flash to FlexJS.

No - Unfortunately your UI need to be rewrite probably from scratch.

If you are going to write your own application I think everything what you need is download Framework through the installer [1]. Then create your first Hello World app in order to see how everything is working [2]. There couple of IDE which has quite nice support [3][4].

Drop us a questions if you have any problems.

[1] http://flex.apache.org/installer.html (Recommend to wait couple of days cause we are soon release FlexJS 0.8)
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Create+A+FlexJS+Project+with+Maven
[3] http://moonshine-ide.com/
[4] https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Gudu
So does it mean, FlexJS and FalconJX don't create HTML/CSS/JavaScript from Flex Application. Some published paper described FalconJX  and FlexJS as a means to migrate Flex application to HTML5/JS application. If someone has success migrating from Flex application to HTML5

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

yishayw
It is possible,  we've been doing it.

Unless you want to modify the framework you don't need the developer setup.

This [1] should get you started.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Getting+Started+With+FlexJS

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Gudu,

Yes it is create, but as I stated in my post - You will be able to automatically convert logic which do not have dependency to Flash. If you have some library or separate business logic from you UI - That is something which FalconJX should handle without the problem.

Flex UI need to be rewrite.

Yishay and Harbs is a good example - they are porting their Flex app to FlexJS. You can watch Harbs presentation from FlexJS Summit [1]

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Gudu
Our plan is to migrate from Adobe Flex to HTML/JS but it is not to convert it to FlexJS. I was trying to convert all the MXML and ActionScript we have to HTML/JS using FalconJX or FlexJS. Now, I am asking if any possiblity of converting the MXML to HTML and the actionScript and all the adobe libraries to some JavaScript library. I have tried to use Jangroo to convert actionscript to JS but jangaroo didn't convert the import libraries.

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Maybe this also helps:
http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/FalconJX-How-To-Use-td14824.html#a14841

All pure AS3 code without any dependencies to flex/flash should work out of the box with FlexJS.
A flex/flash dependency could be identified by imports that start with e.g. flash, spark or mx... e.g.:

import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;

Hope this helps,

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

>Our plan is to migrate from Adobe Flex to HTML/JS but it is not to convert it to FlexJS.
FlexJS also places you in the position to use HTML with AS3 [1]

>Now, I am asking if any possiblity of converting the MXML to HTM
I think there's no way to convert MXML to HTML automatically.

Hope this helps,
Olaf

[1] https://nextgenactionscript.com/tutorials/html-with-transpiled-actionscript/

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Yes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ>

The rest of the presentations should help as well:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj <https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj>

> On Jun 7, 2017, at 11:28 AM, Gudu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have lots of MXML and ActionScript file. I have been tried to convert
> these files to HTML/JS using FlaconJX and FlexJS. I like to ask if someone
> has any success converting Flex application with FlexJS or FalconJX.
> I have followed this instruction to configure the development
> environment:https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Falcon+and+FalconJX+Developer+Setup
> but I didn't manage to set the development environment.
>
> Is it possible to convert Flex application to HTML5/JS using FlaconJX or
> FlexJS?

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

yishayw
If you plan to write your app in JS and only need FalconJX for the initial conversion that's a possibility too, though it might not be the optimal one. You might want to watch [1] Harbs' talk on how to get it to compile. You can then use the created sources to build your own architecture on that.

Good luck!

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

No.

MXML does not convert to HTML. In FlexJS it converts it to JS files.

You might be able to use the compiler to generate js that you can incorporate into other code.

We have been very happy with FlexJS. Why don’t you want to use the framework?

Harbs