[LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

12345 ... 17

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

piotrz
Ok I will try to change poms tomorrow based on examples from srouce - if you do not beat me earlier. - Of course if this is the root cause.

Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Alex Harui

On 4/24/17, 2:18 PM, "Justin Mclean" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>>> How was it resolved? From what I can see there’s wasn't confirmation on
>>> legal discuss.
>>
>> Do any other PMC members think we need to get confirmation from legal
>> discuss?  Seems like it would be strange to ask non-laywers if the agree
>> on the opinion of a practicing lawyer.
>
>Again how and where was this resolved? Can you provide a link please.

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/132d2d65017befe599e4f5fd2e1b148b35bce8
1f2eae7a4e0a5501d0@%3Cdev.flex.apache.org%3E

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Justin Mclean
Administrator
Hi,

> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/132d2d65017befe599e4f5fd2e1b148b35bce8
> 1f2eae7a4e0a5501d0@%3Cdev.flex.apache.org%3E

So it happened off list, but aside from that it seems that Adobe's ruling only applied to “CreateJS” externs and not all extern files?

Also copyright is different to licensing. The files may be copyright Adobe but how are they licensed given the original CreateJS is MIT licensed?

I suggest you ask on legal discuss to clarify the scope (i.e. CreateJS only or all files) and ask if it’s OK to change the original license without the owners permission.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Alex Harui
This turned out to be a sync up problem.  I pushed a change and your app
showed up.

Thanks for testing!
-Alex

On 4/24/17, 3:24 PM, "piotrz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Ok I will try to change poms tomorrow based on examples from srouce - if
>you
>do not beat me earlier. - Of course if this is the root cause.
>
>Thanks,
>Piotr
>

>-----
>Apache Flex PMC
>[hidden email]

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

piotrz
Hi Alex,

I just checked it and example is working, but still building framework distribution by maven is failing.

Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Christofer Dutz
I’ll look into this …

Am 25.04.17, 00:08 schrieb "piotrz" <[hidden email]>:

    Alex,

    Another one is with maven. Distribution options for FlexJS maven build is
    failing on dual [1].

    Command: -s settings-template.xml -Drat.skip=true
    -DdistributionTargetFolder=distribution-flexjs -P build-distribution clean
    install

    [1] https://paste.apache.org/HM9w

    Piotr

    -----
    Apache Flex PMC

On 4/25/17, 2:28 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I’ll look into this …

Thanks, that would be helpful.  I'm having trouble getting the commands
below to do something reasonable.

I believe the changes required are in this patch [1], but when trying to
run the commands below, it keeps saying that various AIR 20 artifacts are
missing, downloading the entire AIR SDK, then saying another AIR 20
artifact is missing and downloading the AIR SDK again.  So far, I believe
I've waited through half a dozen or more downloads.  See the console
output here [2].  What am I doing wrong?  I spent all of last evening
patiently waiting through the downloads, but then it aborted when the
network connection failed. When I started over, it didn't seem to have
cached any of these artifacts and started over from the beginning.  I'll
keep typing "yes" a few more times to see if it ever gets past this.

[1] https://paste.apache.org/wTy7
[2] https://paste.apache.org/Q8Ap

>Am 25.04.17, 00:08 schrieb "piotrz" <[hidden email]>:
>
>    Alex,
>
>    Another one is with maven. Distribution options for FlexJS maven
>build is
>    failing on dual [1].
>
>    Command: -s settings-template.xml -Drat.skip=true
>    -DdistributionTargetFolder=distribution-flexjs -P build-distribution
>clean
>    install

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Alex Harui
And after waiting through a few more downloads, it failed on not finding
those very artifacts I thought I'd downloaded [1].  So help is definitely
appreciated.

[1] https://paste.apache.org/63fo

On 4/25/17, 7:26 AM, "Alex Harui" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 4/25/17, 2:28 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>I’ll look into this …
>
>Thanks, that would be helpful.  I'm having trouble getting the commands
>below to do something reasonable.
>
>I believe the changes required are in this patch [1], but when trying to
>run the commands below, it keeps saying that various AIR 20 artifacts are
>missing, downloading the entire AIR SDK, then saying another AIR 20
>artifact is missing and downloading the AIR SDK again.  So far, I believe
>I've waited through half a dozen or more downloads.  See the console
>output here [2].  What am I doing wrong?  I spent all of last evening
>patiently waiting through the downloads, but then it aborted when the
>network connection failed. When I started over, it didn't seem to have
>cached any of these artifacts and started over from the beginning.  I'll
>keep typing "yes" a few more times to see if it ever gets past this.
>
>Thanks,
>-Alex
>
>[1]
>https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpaste.apa
>che.org%2FwTy7&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cc7806f1225ef4f93379208d48be7a314%7Cfa7b1b
>5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636287274369269285&sdata=IgxaBbXuCpYz
>%2BmvV2PuLscmUqNMvyzlWgTsLPRX4qIg%3D&reserved=0
>[2]
>https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpaste.apa
>che.org%2FQ8Ap&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cc7806f1225ef4f93379208d48be7a314%7Cfa7b1b
>5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636287274369269285&sdata=RwIdCZ5X1Hvz
>fKKKL2oDLYrgGcx20X32BwLkQs3h%2FdI%3D&reserved=0
>

>>Am 25.04.17, 00:08 schrieb "piotrz" <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>    Alex,
>>
>>    Another one is with maven. Distribution options for FlexJS maven
>>build is
>>    failing on dual [1].
>>
>>    Command: -s settings-template.xml -Drat.skip=true
>>    -DdistributionTargetFolder=distribution-flexjs -P build-distribution
>>clean
>>    install

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Alex Harui
Again, everything I contribute is copyright Adobe and I am authorized to
license it under ALv2.  So I think we are good.

Do any other PMC members think we need to spend more energy on this issue?
 There are lots of other things to do.

-Alex

On 4/24/17, 7:35 PM, "Justin Mclean" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.ap
>>ache.org%2Fthread.html%2F132d2d65017befe599e4f5fd2e1b148b35bce8&data=02%7
>>C01%7C%7C77d030d070534941f2cb08d48b83b8e8%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178dec
>>ee1%7C0%7C0%7C636286845237972385&sdata=xs0cpWy4Fo1%2FwX6T53vFLnAuqOeLV9US
>>0Hqriptx2k0%3D&reserved=0
>> 1f2eae7a4e0a5501d0@%3Cdev.flex.apache.org%3E
>
>So it happened off list, but aside from that it seems that Adobe's ruling
>only applied to “CreateJS” externs and not all extern files?
>
>Also copyright is different to licensing. The files may be copyright
>Adobe but how are they licensed given the original CreateJS is MIT
>licensed?
>
>I suggest you ask on legal discuss to clarify the scope (i.e. CreateJS
>only or all files) and ask if it’s OK to change the original license
>without the owners permission.
>
>Thanks,
>Justin

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Christofer Dutz
Hi Alex,

Ok seems the html module no longer had a basic-as-manifest.xml file inside. I adjusted the deployment descriptor and now the distribution build worked again.

Chris

On 4/25/17, 1:33 PM, "Christofer Dutz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>
>Ok seems the html module no longer had a basic-as-manifest.xml file
>inside. I adjusted the deployment descriptor and now the distribution
>build worked again.

Right, that file got moved to Basic.  See the patch I proposed in [1].
Unfortunately, I can't get the distribution to build for me. Do you have
time to look at the console output [2] and offer any help?

[1] https://paste.apache.org/wTy7
[2] https://paste.apache.org/Q8Ap

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Justin Mclean
Administrator

> Again, everything I contribute is copyright Adobe and I am authorized to
> license it under ALv2.  So I think we are good.

Which is fine, but that does not give you the right to relicense code unless the original license allows for that.

I’ll ask on legal discuss to clarify what to do here.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Josh Tynjala
If Adobe owns the copyright, then Adobe can relicense the code in any way
that they want.

- Josh

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>

> > Again, everything I contribute is copyright Adobe and I am authorized to
> > license it under ALv2.  So I think we are good.
>
> Which is fine, but that does not give you the right to relicense code
> unless the original license allows for that.
>
> I’ll ask on legal discuss to clarify what to do here.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Christofer Dutz
Hi Alex,

Ok seems my fix just made things generally work again, but yours would have been correct.

If you are building it on the console, you should probably just type “yes” and hit enter. If you are running a CI build, you need to provide the … I just gave it a spin with a completely empty maven local repo and using the settings-template.xml and built all 3 projects and it worked fine.

Chris

Am 25.04.17, 22:37 schrieb "Alex Harui" <[hidden email]>:

    On 4/25/17, 1:33 PM, "Christofer Dutz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    >Hi Alex,
    >
    >Ok seems the html module no longer had a basic-as-manifest.xml file
    >inside. I adjusted the deployment descriptor and now the distribution
    >build worked again.

    Right, that file got moved to Basic.  See the patch I proposed in [1].
    Unfortunately, I can't get the distribution to build for me. Do you have
    time to look at the console output [2] and offer any help?

    [1] https://paste.apache.org/wTy7
    [2] https://paste.apache.org/Q8Ap

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Justin Mclean
Administrator

> If Adobe owns the copyright, then Adobe can relicense the code in any way
> that they want.

I believe It's a bit more nuanced than that.

For instance. If I take 3rd party code and make changes to it, the changes are under my copyright (unless I give that up), but that doesn't allow me to change the 3rd party license (unless the license allows that). And any contribution I make to an Apache project I own the copyright on but that doesn’t give me the right to change the licensing of those files to something non Apache.

And even if Adobe has the right to remove the 3rd party header/license in question that still may not be line with ASF policy on 3rd party files. [1]

Anyway I’ve asked on legal discuss so we should get an answer there.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers <https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers>

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

piotrz
Hi Justin,

Can you post link to your question or it is something private ?

Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Josh Tynjala
I'm confused. Who is the third party?

- Josh

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>

> > If Adobe owns the copyright, then Adobe can relicense the code in any way
> > that they want.
>
> I believe It's a bit more nuanced than that.
>
> For instance. If I take 3rd party code and make changes to it, the changes
> are under my copyright (unless I give that up), but that doesn't allow me
> to change the 3rd party license (unless the license allows that). And any
> contribution I make to an Apache project I own the copyright on but that
> doesn’t give me the right to change the licensing of those files to
> something non Apache.
>
> And even if Adobe has the right to remove the 3rd party header/license in
> question that still may not be line with ASF policy on 3rd party files. [1]
>
> Anyway I’ve asked on legal discuss so we should get an answer there.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> 1. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers <
> https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers>

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Justin Mclean
Administrator

> Can you post link to your question or it is something private ?

Sure here you go.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3d81b86622a8069806bc00c0ba2bf8174559e3043a2940a6bb592215@%3Clegal-discuss.apache.org%3E

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Justin Mclean
Administrator

> I'm confused. Who is the third party?

In this case TweenJS copyright Grant Skinner whose original code is under a MIT license. [1] The patch file [2] (copyright Adobe) removes the header containing the MIT license from his code.

Again I’ll point out by leaving the header in there is at worse a documentation issue and a trial change to make VS what we have at the moment which is at worse a licensing error and perhaps not in line with ASF policy. Last time this come up several other PMC members agreed with leaving the header in - although they may not have a different view now.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/CreateJS/TweenJS/blob/master/src/tweenjs/Tween.js <https://github.com/CreateJS/TweenJS/blob/master/src/tweenjs/Tween.js>
2.  https://github.com/apache/flex-typedefs/blob/master/createjs/src/main/patch/tweenjs.patch <https://github.com/apache/flex-typedefs/blob/master/createjs/src/main/patch/tweenjs.patch>

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.8.0

Josh Tynjala
I guess we're talking about different things. Sorry for the noise. I
thought you were talking about this MD5 class that you said was third party
in an earlier email.

> The code original comes from a 3rd party and is BSD licensed [1]
> 1. https://github.com/mikechambers/as3corelib/blob/
> master/src/com/adobe/crypto/MD5.as

Adobe would certainly be able to relicense that one and remove the header.

- Josh

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Justin Mclean <[hidden email]>