Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Olaf Krueger
Hello from the Apache Royale (FlexJS) team,

even if Flex with AIR is still an awesome and outstanding technology, Flex
in the browser ends with the end of FlashPlayer in 2020.
To be clear: There will be no way to run your Flex apps in current browser
versions around 2020!

The Flex mailing lists are followed by a few hundred people and we assume
that there are still a lot of Flex browser apps out there.

So, we are really interested in what you are planning to do with your Flex
apps, e.g.

- Do you need to stick with the browser at all?
- Do you plan to migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
- Did you already migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
- ...

If you are reading this post and have a Flex app, please speak up about what
your plans are!

Thanks,
The Apache Royale (FlexJS) team

RE: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Virginia Westwood
Hi Olaf, thanks for asking!

Short answer: No, I will probably have to retire (not joking), and take down
all our online programs which are helping so many to deal with English
language and literacy skills today.

Yes, I do need to use browser delivery, in addition to desktop versions
using old Toolbook and Flex/AIR

I have followed FlexJS and tried several installs, but the development has
taken so long, is not stable, and is nowhere near the functionality I need,
especially in terms of interaction with text and ausio.

I have tried to recode in js/HTML5 using HAXE (and others), but cannot get
the required interactive functionality for even the simplest of our
applications.

I don't understand, given the enormous volume of quality learning resources
produced for FlashPlayer, why no-one has come up with a good alternative.
Pretty much all the functionality has been around since the '90s, but demise
of FP is just part of the whole dumbing down of quality interactive learning
today (IMHO, that is).

If FP poses such a security risk (really?), then why isn't someone with the
skills able to excise/wall-off or whatever, those parts so we can still have
a powerful browser language for interactive apps? Why???

I know our apps are 'old school', but guess what? They are still in demand
20 years after publication, because they are truly interactive.

Please, can't someone come up with a solution?

Thanks again for raising this for discussion.

Virginia
Dr Virginia Westwood | Director

Protea Textware Pty Ltd
ABN 72 077 575 047
PO Box 8480
Broome WA 6725 Australia
p: (+61 8)/(08) 9192 8390
m: (+61 4)/(04) 0897 1446
w: http://www.proteatextware.com
s: virginia.westwood

We respectfully acknowledge the traditional custodians of the Country on
which we live and work, and commit to building relationships, respect and
opportunities together.

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

James Peng
First of all, I would like to thank the Apache Royale (FlexJS) team for their
dedication.

We are software studios from Taiwan. We are committed to software
development and student training. Flex's design for web applications is
truly powerful and fast. The student team we trained received the
outstanding results of the National Information Technology Competition in
2017. The web interface is designed using Flex technology.

In the future, we will continue to develop more web services and have
already planned a schedule. We will also continue to open the services we
have developed for everyone to use free of charge.

We look forward to the future transformation of web pages(HTML5) through
FlexJS.

Thanks again to the Apache Royale (FlexJS) team.

I am James Peng, come from Taiwan.

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

hferreira
I Migrated to AIR long time ago (about 5 years) and I don't use Flash since
there.
I looked for the signs and was clear this dead end.
At that time, I looked at HTML5/JS and it was ridiculous.
Meanwhile HTML5/JS world evolved and I followed that.
Today I still work with my big AIR application on a daily basics (around 2
millions lines of code) + several other HTML5 applications.

On my opinion:
There applications that are better to work outside of the browsers (they are
full applications to be opened all the day).
There are small applications for the occasion that are better to work on the
browser.

Do you use Word processing on the browser ? Really ?
But do you use Gmail on a desktop App ? Really ?

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Jeffry Houser

   I'm not sure how facetious your questions are.

  Technically, a ton of people use Google docs in the browser, including
me.  I consider MS Word [desktop] better suited for many of my word
processing needs, but the browser word processor experience has improved
significantly over the years.

  Technically, I use Thunderbird--a desktop app--to access my Google App
account [AKA Gmail] via IMAP, so you could argue that I use gmail as a
desktop app.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur