New feature request: Stage Map View

Randy Troppmann
Hi Alex,

> What is a "stage map view"?

"Stage Map View" would be a component that would uses the native map
control on mobile. Google's AS3 map api is deprecated. Using a Stage
Web View to show maps means you are bound to the EULA of that map
provider, which blocks me from using it in an app that is not free.
Using the native map control would allow me to include an interactive
map in my non-free app and would give me all the benefits of the
native map control.

> If you put in a JIRA request for a stage map view and 1000 people voted for
> it, and nobody else in the community wanted to work on it, I would probably
> try to do it.

Are you talking about the Adobe's feature request mechanism?

If you worked on it in context of Apache Flex I would be super keen to help.

- Randy

Re: New feature request: Stage Map View

Alex Harui

On 1/6/12 10:22 AM, "Randy Troppmann" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you talking about the Adobe's feature request mechanism?
No, we will have a JIRA set up in Apache for enhancement requests.  The goal
is to obsolete Adobe's JIRA for the Flex SDK.  Adobe's JIRA for the other
projects will continue to remain active.

> If you worked on it in context of Apache Flex I would be super keen to help.

I'm probably not the best person to work on it.  Hopefully someone else will
want to lead it, including yourself.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm probably not the best person to work on it.  Hopefully someone else will
> want to lead it, including yourself.

Hi Alex,

I would love to pursue this but I don't really know if this would be
possible with just the Flex stack or whether lower level dev or AIR
sdk dev would be required. Any advice on this? Perhaps it needs to be
an ANE.

Cheers, Randy

Re: New feature request: Stage Map View

Fréderic Cox
You have to use an ANE afaik. Another option would be using the
StageWebView for the JS Maps API but I don't know if you can communicate
between your AS3 app and the HTML view (for pressing/selecting markers).
If locationChange is triggered when the hash of your html changes then it
can be done (I actually did that for a project we made with OpenPlug
Studio) but the hash change was only working on iOS and not on Android

On Jan 7, 2012 11:52 PM, "Fréderic Cox" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Another option would be using the
> StageWebView for the JS Maps API but I don't know if you can communicate
> between your AS3 app and the HTML view (for pressing/selecting markers).

That approach does solve the licensing issue.