On voting (was:First Flex release as soon as possible?...)

On voting (was:First Flex release as soon as possible?...)

Bertrand Delacretaz
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Ryan Frishberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...@Bertrand, with regards to voting, does that mean we shouldn't respond
> with "+1" unless the title of the thread is "[VOTE]".

It's absolutely fine to use +1 to say "I agree", but unless the
message subject says [VOTE] it never counts as a vote.

> ...If something
> comes up in a thread that requires a vote, should we always create a
> separate "[VOTE]" thread for that issue?...

Yes - the goal is to make sure people who only skim message headers
quickly don't miss a vote.

More info about voting at http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

-Bertrand

Re: On voting (was:First Flex release as soon as possible?...)

Michael Schmalle

> Yes - the goal is to make sure people who only skim message headers
> quickly don't miss a vote.
>
> More info about voting at http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
>
> -Bertrand

So when functionality or implementation of SDK features need to be
voted on what are binding votes in a [VOTE] ?

All community members, committers or just PPMC/PMC members?

"Who" constitutes the approval?

Mike

Re: On voting (was:First Flex release as soon as possible?...)

João Fernandes
Mike from what I've understood the community can share their votes but only
official member votes will count for the final resolution.

João Fernandes

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Michael Schmalle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...So when functionality or implementation of SDK features need to be voted on
> what are binding votes in a [VOTE] ?
>
> All community members, committers or just PPMC/PMC members?
>
> "Who" constitutes the approval?

In a top-level project, only votes from the project's PMC members are
binding, others are welcome but technically don't count.

In a podling like Flex, the PPMC plays the role of a PMC for
day-to-day operations, but for decisions that engage the ASF (like for
a release, which is an act of the foundation), only votes from
Incubator PMC members (represented here by mentors) count.

Everybody's welcome to express their opinion in any case, and if
non-binding votes differ significantly from binding votes, something's
probably wrong and the PMC/PPMC should find out what's happening.

Note also that votes which are about people (electing new committers
etc.) happen on the project's private list, mostly to avoid
embarassing people in public if their nomination is rejected. Apart
from that, usage of the private list is restricted to the absolute
minimum, everything that can be public is discussed here.

More info on roles in the ASF at
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

-Bertrand