Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

michelle_siao
Hi, good day!

We have a very large and complex healthcare information system
where its front-end is written in Flex
(the Flex SDK we are currently using is FlexSDK416).

We are very concerned about the future of the browser support
particularly Internet Explorer & Edge
for our Flex applicaton.

If Internet Explorer & Edge will not be supporting Flex anymore starting
next year,
how and to what technology should we migrate our Flex application?
Should we use AIR, FlexJS or which one is appropriate?
I would like to have your professional advise on this matter as you are
the experts on Flex.

I would greatly appreciate your response on this matter.

Thanks and regards,
Michelle
Hualien, Taiwan
Tzu Chi Medical Foundation

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Alex Harui-2
Hi Michelle,

FlexJS became the Apache Royale project about a year ago.  I encourage you to find out more about FlexJS/Royale on the Royale mailing list ([hidden email]).

It isn't just IE and Edge.  Just about every popular browser will turn off Flash by the end of 2020.  Of course, I'm biased towards Royale since that's what I spend my day working on, but I think the safest choice is to choose an open-source development environment like Royale.  That way you are free from corporate decisions about product futures.  No corporation controls Apache projects like Royale, and users are encouraged to become contributors so that you or other people like you can help cut releases, fix bugs, create new features, etc.  That way, you ensure that you have more control over the future.

So far, I've heard the following options:

1) Apache Royale
2) Adobe AIR
3) Extended IE support
4) Custom Browser.

Depending on resources and timeframes, Adobe AIR might make sense if you are ok changing your deployment model.  All future updates have to be "installed" or your AIR app has to be a "shell" that downloads the rest of the app.  Converting a Flash Browser app to AIR might be less work if there is a lot of Flash animation/timeline content.  Royale doesn't have any replacement for frame-based SWF animations.  If you know that browser video quality is insufficient, you might also choose AIR video.  You also need to be aware of subtle differences between AIR and Flash around security, ExternalInterface, and some other APIs.  On the other hand, having access to the file system might be a benefit.

If you control what browser your users use, I've heard that IE will have extended support for Flash, but I think there is an end date for that eventually.

I've also heard that some folks are trying to create browsers that will host the Flash plugin.

Anyway, I hope to see you on the Royale lists.

-Alex

On 11/1/18, 3:00 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi, good day!

    We have a very large and complex healthcare information system
    where its front-end is written in Flex
    (the Flex SDK we are currently using is FlexSDK416).

    We are very concerned about the future of the browser support
    particularly Internet Explorer & Edge
    for our Flex applicaton.

    If Internet Explorer & Edge will not be supporting Flex anymore starting
    next year,
    how and to what technology should we migrate our Flex application?
    Should we use AIR, FlexJS or which one is appropriate?
    I would like to have your professional advise on this matter as you are
    the experts on Flex.

    I would greatly appreciate your response on this matter.

    Thanks and regards,
    Michelle
    Hualien, Taiwan
    Tzu Chi Medical Foundation

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Carlos Rovira-3
Hi Michelle,

maybe one more thing that you should know is about the MX and SPARK
emulation effort. Alex and others and working in Royale in emulate the
MX/SPARK Apis and components, so people that wants to migrate from Flex to
Royale (before known as FlexJS) can do it more quickly

The work is still in progress, but many people could still compile his code
agains that code, although many of the components still doesn't show on
screen, and that will come hopefully soon. You (and others) are welcome to
contribute and help in that effort.

To know more about Apache Royale visit our webstite:
https://royale.apache.org, and follow us on twitter, facebook, linkedIn
and/our Google plus

thanks

Carlos

El jue., 1 nov. 2018 a las 19:36, Alex Harui (<[hidden email]>)
escribió:

> [...]
>
> On 11/1/18, 3:00 AM, "[hidden email]" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Hi, good day!
>
>     We have a very large and complex healthcare information system
>     where its front-end is written in Flex
>     (the Flex SDK we are currently using is FlexSDK416).
>
>     We are very concerned about the future of the browser support
>     particularly Internet Explorer & Edge
>     for our Flex applicaton.
>
>     If Internet Explorer & Edge will not be supporting Flex anymore
> starting
>     next year,
>     how and to what technology should we migrate our Flex application?
>     Should we use AIR, FlexJS or which one is appropriate?
>     I would like to have your professional advise on this matter as you
> are
>     the experts on Flex.
>
>     I would greatly appreciate your response on this matter.

http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira

I will give you my input of this one:
I have a large Flex project for many years now (more than 1.5 millions lines
of code and growing).
This project started for AIR because on that time was predicted that one day
Flash on Web will end and HTML5 was just an ideia on that time (also there
was the intention to use features directly from desktop that they are very
difficult to get on the web space).
Even so, this project have very complex features that it's not possible on
the present with any web technology that I know !

I already tested FlexJS (now Apache Royale) for about 2 years now and "for
me" it was a pre-alpha quality product on that time.
I believe that now it's more mature but even so without things like Flex TLF
support I wouldn't even take a look and probably we will never get this kind
of specific features.

If I was you, I would take a look on Apache Royale and invest a few time to
try to port the code (at least you will know if this is an option to
consider or not).

Than you have the AIR option that it's a guarantee low friction porting
option, however it's a change of paradigma (desktop vs web).
I strongly recommend a "click once"/"auto-update" or what ever you would
like to call, option.
For this, I designed mysef an auto-update mechanism compatible with Windows
and macOS available on Github with MIT license.

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Carlos Rovira-3
Hi Hugo,

maybe you should post the like to your auto-update solution, so people
could check it.

thanks for you points, very valuable

Carlos

http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
Check this out: https://github.com/SolidSoft-Lda/AIR-AutoUpdate
This AutoUpdate engine auto restart the Desktop App after the update
(compatible with macOS, Win-32 and Win-64).

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

FWIW, Harbs can say more about what didn't get migrated, but TLF is running in Royale without Flash/AIR.

What else is on your list of missing features?

    Hi,

    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Cce0c080802bd49874d9b08d643db3f9e%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636771006274666682&amp;sdata=6E6%2FQqdP4YmQ%2FZO3KhkeThl3oUpKvOmFhNd3nwX8k3A%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
"but TLF is running in Royale without Flash/AIR"
Really !
That's good news (for me) to know.
I'm out of Royale, so I'm probably outdated on that area.

As said before, my experience with FlexJS (now Apache Royale) was a long
time ago on a early days and on that time, what I saw was a pre-alpha
quality product.
Perhaps I should try again now and see what is capable of.

There is a tutorial for scratch using IntelliJ (or other IDEA but I prefer
IntelliJ) ?
A simple hello word that I could just build (ie transpite) and then evolve
to check was is possible to do and what is not ?

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
I just checked the Apache Royale web site and seems good (comparing to my
last visit a long time ago).
Still many "TODO" pages.

By change, I tried the starting IntelliJ and a TODO page.
However I see that the others IDE's already have a start page, but I don't
use Flash Builder (for many years now), Visual Studio Code it's not a IDE
and I would not go thru Moonshine (I don't want to see me there), so I will
try with Visual Studio Code the tutorial.

I checked the mailing list (for the very first time) and surprisingly seems
to be very active).

I definitively will try later to build a sample use case.

I know that this is a community project (and that a strong point on my
opinion), however I continue to think that an important peace is messing: A
lot of tutorials and sample starting projects.

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Alex Harui-2
Yep, we can always use more tutorials and other "on-boarding" material.

I personally have not worked too much on that because I think for right now, my energy is best spent on making sure that the code actually works.  It seems that most folks don't have the experience and time to work on that.  I think that there are more folks, including you, who are capable of writing small bits of documentation and examples and could help us build up that set of material.

One thing about Royale is that there is no one set of UI widgets that you must use.  I think that's good in that you are not locked into using MX or Spark or in Royale's case, the Basic components or Jewel.  You can use Jquery, CreateJS, Material Design Lite.  You can wrap any existing JS framework that has a procedural API, and probably others if you really wanted to.  Royale is really in the business of creating a software developer workflow for assembling chunks of JavaScript together.  But that makes it harder for generating getting-started materials because there are multiple paths you can get started on.

Right now, I am focused on the Emulation Components that are intended to mimic MX and Spark components in Flex in order to lower the effort of migrating from Flex to Royale.  It won't be 100% backward compatible, but should be much less rewriting than porting to other JS frameworks.

Here is a link to Tour De Flex migrated to Royale with relatively few changes:
http://apacheroyaleci.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com:8080/job/TourDeFlexMigration/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/examples/mxroyale/tourdeflexmodules/bin/js-debug/index.html

Only  the MX/Visual Components/General Controls have been seen to run (except ColorPicker), but I'm finishing up LineChart right now.  The demo may break at times and the visuals are not tuned up, but it will give you an idea of what is possible.  We just need more folks to contribute.  Anyone who contributes helps lower the cost of migrating for everyone else.  If we get lots of people pitching in, it is like having a large team to migrate your app.

-Alex

    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C98beed1437d84a741e8d08d64415b3c4%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636771257328824888&amp;sdata=Bza%2BXb2j9086t6pxylfvIbm2vP%2FusJxy4pGrWHquuJc%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
My beloved flex tour (not see for a long time now) in Roayle :D
I read in the past that intention but did not know it was actually done.

"I am focused on the Emulation Components that are intended to mimic MX and
Spark components in Flex in order to lower the effort of migrating from Flex
to Royale"
That would definitively make the things easier and it's on my opinion the
good way to go.
I understand that started as things in Royale that are not compatible with
Flex, so you could evolve however have a compatible layer it's a most to
have.
If I migrate an entire project, later I can move each piece for something
more like Royale.

I understand that this is a community but end up with one man show (you).

I would love to contribute as I already did (a little) with Flex, however I
need to first enter on Roayle that it's a completly new game for me, so I'm
new on that field but you wake up my interested, so I will check later.

Thank you.

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Yes, your understanding is correct in that there is a set of components in Royale called Basic that are aimed more at small, fast applications than at backward-compatibility with Flex.

It is a fair amount of work to migrate your code to the Basic components, although still much less work than porting all of our code to some other JS Framework.  If you have good separation of "business logic" from your UI, you should find that your business logic can be used with few changes.  That's the biggest savings as you don't have to debug all of those lines of code agin.  Instead, the work is in rewriting your UI to use the Basic components, although some folks want to do that anyway to modernize their UI.

Carlos is working on a component set called Jewel that has more modern UI widgets.

And I and some others are working on the Emulation Components.  Their goal is to require much less rewriting of your existing Flex MXML.  It won't be as small and fast, and you will be able to swap out some pieces for smaller/faster ones if you need to and have the time.  It isn't really a one-man show.  For sure, I am doing a significant amount of the work, but there are others helping out in smaller contributions and every contribution counts.  We hope you and others will join us.

    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Ce0c59550ffae46b87de408d6441b7dd2%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636771282197811599&amp;sdata=CVggiJDcWzGHhWKKU930jt2RmG4Lj5fA87EL1HQJKz0%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
Hi Alex,

I just come from the first Apache Royale test (current version 0.9.2).
I think that my last attempt was 0.5 (or less) !

Starting on the IDE:
I know by now why there is no starting tutorial for IntelliJ: Because does
guys are waiting to see where this will end up, so there is no official
IntelliJ support by now.
Flash Builder as said before is not an opinion for years and I will not go
back there.
I tryed Moonshine and seems that this IDE was designed for Apache Royale. I
couldn't expect that could be easier to start a project (even for a
beginner), however without intellisense support unfortunately it's a no.
For last but not least, I went thru Visual Studio Code (ho, boy that text
editor evolved from my last test). Everything it's manual however following
this instructions
https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/wiki/Visual-Studio-Code I was able to
build a Hello Word test project and then started to play around.
Intellisense works out of the box !
And I saw references to TLF on intellisense that you mentioned before (very
good :) ).

Pure Apache Royale it's noticeable more mature than before and without
compiling errors on the first experience. It's not a alpha product anymore
an deserves to be almost version 1.0 but this was a short test.
I didn't even care about debug for now.

As explain before, for me, to be even possible to move from Apache Flex to
Apache Royale, I need to:
1. Move a very big ship (block by block) to your new approach emulation
components (accepting that they will not optimised for speed);
2. Find a way to move a few external components (I have the source code of
all them);
3. Fix a lot of issues during a few months in tests;
4. Then and only then, I can start moving pieces of components to pure
Apache Royale (accepting that there is the possibility to end up with a mix
of pure Apache Royale components and emulated ones but I already have that
with MX and Spark anyway).

During this test, I tryed but not be able to use any MX component so my
guess is that is not yet on this release and perhaps only on the night
builds or even on your local machine waiting for commit. This assumption is
correct ?
MX and Spark emulation are predicted for the next 0.9.3 ?

As you can imagine, there is old code that is not following the best
approach.
I have the business logic separated from the UI but it's not all the cases.
My first work will be starting refactoring and this, I can start right now.
As much perfection my code is before the port, easier will be.
Then, only after MX and Spark emulation be on a release will make sense to
start but I'm excited to do and when I enter on that space, for sure that I
will be a contributor (at least on documentation for others, report bugs and
provide fixs).

Thank you very much for you work since always on this project.
For what I saw, I believe that one day I may move my code (I was not
expecting that).

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

The next release should have better support for emulation components.  You do have to change the xml namespace to use them:

  xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx"

need to be changed to:

  xmlns:mx="library://ns.apache.org/royale/mx"
  xmlns:s="library://ns.apache.org/royale/spark"

Regarding migrating your application, we have some tooling to try to analyze your code and see what Flash and Flex APIs are using.  And you can just fork your code, replace the XML namespaces and see what happens.

Regarding the external components, you can examine the imports they use to see what flash classes are being used.   MXML files have some hidden "automatic"  imports so it is a bit harder to see what they use.  We have emulated some Flash classes, but it is not a goal to emulate all of them.  We want to get away from dependencies on Flash APIs because some sort of rely on the way Flash renders, and some features like listener priorities and weak references are not easily reproduced on other platforms.

You can get started now with a nightly build.  Please continue the conversation over at [hidden email].

    https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Froyale-asjs%2Fwiki%2FVisual-Studio-Code&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C49a953b78b2a4e324c2208d6444fff87%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636771507711668266&amp;sdata=jIJop6p5wZur1kZksz%2BvBUGjxeQmchJ06Rpq21ffsoQ%3D&amp;reserved=0 I was able to

    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C49a953b78b2a4e324c2208d6444fff87%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636771507711668266&amp;sdata=4slKcrT4gvKwLoDhtvOfNXPMX%2BDEf7sGRI7qDUOcPts%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Hi Hugo,

In case of Moonshine are you saying that your experience was bad
previously, currently nothing change for you as well ?

wt., 6 lis 2018 o 19:28 hferreira <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> I just checked the Apache Royale web site and seems good (comparing to my
> last visit a long time ago).
> Still many "TODO" pages.
>
> By change, I tried the starting IntelliJ and a TODO page.
> However I see that the others IDE's already have a start page, but I don't
> use Flash Builder (for many years now), Visual Studio Code it's not a IDE
> and I would not go thru Moonshine (I don't want to see me there), so I will
> try with Visual Studio Code the tutorial.
>
> I checked the mailing list (for the very first time) and surprisingly seems
> to be very active).
>
> I definitively will try later to build a sample use case.
>
> I know that this is a community project (and that a strong point on my
> opinion), however I continue to think that an important peace is messing: A
> lot of tutorials and sample starting projects.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

piotrz
Hugo,

Moonshine has full intellisence support. If something doesn't work for you
provide details. I do recommend using Nightly Build of Royale for now. We
have on our pipeline release Moonshine 1.16.0. I can send you off the list
Nightly build as well. We are a bit delayed with release cause Apple App
store hold us with new requirements which we are trying to full fill.

śr., 7 lis 2018 o 10:04 Piotr Zarzycki <[hidden email]>
napisał(a):

> Hi Hugo,
>
> In case of Moonshine are you saying that your experience was bad
> previously, currently nothing change for you as well ?

> wt., 6 lis 2018 o 19:28 hferreira <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
>
>> I just checked the Apache Royale web site and seems good (comparing to my
>> last visit a long time ago).
>> Still many "TODO" pages.
>>
>> By change, I tried the starting IntelliJ and a TODO page.
>> However I see that the others IDE's already have a start page, but I don't
>> use Flash Builder (for many years now), Visual Studio Code it's not a IDE
>> and I would not go thru Moonshine (I don't want to see me there), so I
>> will
>> try with Visual Studio Code the tutorial.
>>
>> I checked the mailing list (for the very first time) and surprisingly
>> seems
>> to be very active).
>>
>> I definitively will try later to build a sample use case.
>>
>> I know that this is a community project (and that a strong point on my
>> opinion), however I continue to think that an important peace is messing:
>> lot of tutorials and sample starting projects.
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/
>>

> --
>
> Piotr Zarzycki

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
Hi Alex,

I have replied on Apache Royale mailing list for users.
I don't see my post there.
There is an approval process ?

Regards,
Hugo.

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
piotrz,

"In case of Moonshine are you saying that your experience was bad
previously"
I appreciate your efforts about Moonshine but I believe that I never said
that. I'm focus with Apache Royale and tried now Moonshine among others.

"Moonshine has full intellisence support."
I didn't know. I assume that intelisense was not supported.

"We are a bit delayed with release cause Apple App
store hold us"
That's why I don't use Apple Store for desktop Apps :D

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

piotrz
Hugo,

Even if you won't end up using Moonshine with Royale - your initial
experience would be very valuable to us. We wanted to improve that IDE
until experience will be smooth. :)

śr., 7 lis 2018 o 10:22 hferreira <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> piotrz,
>
> "In case of Moonshine are you saying that your experience was bad
> previously"
> I appreciate your efforts about Moonshine but I believe that I never said
> that. I'm focus with Apache Royale and tried now Moonshine among others.
>
> "Moonshine has full intellisence support."
> I didn't know. I assume that intelisense was not supported.
>
> "We are a bit delayed with release cause Apple App
> store hold us"
> That's why I don't use Apple Store for desktop Apps :D
>

> --
> Sent from: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
OK,

First, as said before it's the top one for Apache Roayle (congrats).
While I'm trying to code, the IDE didn't popup any intelisense (also I don't
saw any window with a log error, so I assumed that intelisense was not
supported).
If you would like to investigated, I don't know where I can help without
logs but I'm using macOS (latest OS version) on a MacBook Pro (latest
version).