Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Alex Harui-2
Hmm.  Are you using Nabble to email the Royale Dev list or directly emailing [hidden email]?

All Apache lists are moderated.  It is recommended that you subscribe by emailing [hidden email] and the email robot will send you an acknowledge email that you have to respond to.  If you directly email dev@ without subscribing, it should show up in the moderation queue and I didn't see anything in the queue.  If you are using Nabble, I don't know how it works because I don't use it.  Maybe someone else can help.

-Alex

On 11/7/18, 1:17 AM, "hferreira" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi Alex,

    I have replied on Apache Royale mailing list for users.
    I don't see my post there.
    There is an approval process ?

    Regards,
    Hugo.

    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Cab670c3bd99a467b1ec008d64491dd29%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636771790612395770&amp;sdata=3P4LuqvvPUaH2QuZyxqOpOMUyy%2BPU0wyNqJkt0HXMU8%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Carlos Rovira-3
Hi Hugo,

for quick tutorials please check this:

https://royale.apache.org/category/royale-examples/

To see what's capable Royale actually check as well Jewel Example test
project:

https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop/examples/royale/JewelExample

(I think we should have this in running in the website, hope to add this
soon)

To see videos of Royale in action we posted several animated Gif here

http://twitter.com/apacheroyale

IMHO, I'm working in a real Apache Royale for a client now, and I think we
have mostly all the pieces, to go to production at least with Jewel UI set,
and we are focusing in fix bug and add enhancements as we needed.

So I think we are in a beta quality product (and no more an alpha) at least
in some parts and paths to get a real application done today.

If you can join us, and support fixing bugs or doing PRs, that will do a
huge difference to have two more hands contributing

Thanks!

Carlos

El mié., 7 nov. 2018 a las 17:33, Alex Harui (<[hidden email]>)
escribió:

> Hmm.  Are you using Nabble to email the Royale Dev list or directly
> emailing [hidden email]?
>
> All Apache lists are moderated.  It is recommended that you subscribe by
> emailing [hidden email] and the email robot will send
> you an acknowledge email that you have to respond to.  If you directly
> email dev@ without subscribing, it should show up in the moderation queue
> and I didn't see anything in the queue.  If you are using Nabble, I don't
> know how it works because I don't use it.  Maybe someone else can help.
>
> -Alex
>
> On 11/7/18, 1:17 AM, "hferreira" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Hi Alex,
>
>     I have replied on Apache Royale mailing list for users.
>     I don't see my post there.
>     There is an approval process ?
>
>     Regards,
>     Hugo.
>

>     --
>     Sent from:
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Cab670c3bd99a467b1ec008d64491dd29%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636771790612395770&amp;sdata=3P4LuqvvPUaH2QuZyxqOpOMUyy%2BPU0wyNqJkt0HXMU8%3D&amp;reserved=0

http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
Alex Harui-2,

I tried both !

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
Alex,

Wall your e-mails shows as hidden for me.

I tryed again and got this message:
This message was sent from [hidden email] to the
[hidden email] mailing list.
This message will not appear in this archive until it has been accepted by
the mailing list. You may want to save a copy of this message in case it is
not accepted.

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
Alex,

The e-mail links are hidden !
Anyway, I tried to subscribe again.

Meanwhile I tried to get the night build (I really, really want to see
MX/Spark emulation on action) but I got a page error !

"we have some tooling to try to analyze your code"
Great. Can you please point me where this tools are and how to use them (I
suposed that's a command line) ?

A few more questions:
1. Apache Roayle support FXG (visual elements and colors with XML) in the
same way as Flex SDK or there is plans to ?
2. Flex SDK on AIR have native support (without ANE) for SQLite. This is
very important for mobile applications and also for offline content on
desktop applications. Does Royale supports this ?
3. AIR supports native extensions that are important for mobile. How Apache
Roayle deals with that ?

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

I noticed that rarely/sporadically some posts don't make it to the list for
whatever reason.
Maybe you just should give it another try...?

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Hmm... just a test, I just replied and it seems my post didn't make it to the
list.

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
Alex, your e-mail is hidden on this thread.

I'm using directly nabble website.

Anyway, this was my post (attempt to):

Following
http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/Question-on-Migrating-from-Flex-to-FlexJS-td65514.html

"we have some tooling to try to analyze your code"
Great. Can you please point me where this tools are and how to use them (I
suposed that's a command line) ?

A few questions:
1. Apache Roayle support FXG (visual elements and colors with XML) in the
same way as Flex SDK or there is plans to ?
2. Flex SDK on AIR have native support (without ANE) for SQLite. This is
very important for mobile applications and also for offline content on
desktop applications. Does Royale supports this ?
3. AIR supports native extensions that are important for mobile. How Apache
Roayle deals with that ?

Chears,
Hugo.

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Emails I sent at 6pm last night are finally showing up on the mailing list now (10am).  Sometimes the mail servers fall behind.

I just realized that I have not seen any moderation emails for users@royale.  I will check on that.

Nightly builds are here:
http://apacheroyaleci.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com:8080/job/royale-asjs/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/out/

-Alex

On 11/8/18, 10:07 AM, "hferreira" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C35ce67ca107a45dc4c5b08d645a50b81%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636772972495360658&amp;sdata=k3rOPJ8Qu0pX3aq4g5er1vduMKY7knB%2Fc7hOn%2FQLvO4%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

To respond to your technical questions:

You can generate an API Report by following these instructions:
https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/wiki/Generating-an-API-Report

1) Apache Royale does have some support for FXG.  It might need improvement.
2) AIR APIs are generally replaced by Cordova APIs/Plugins.  So see if Cordova has suitable SQLite plugins.
3) AIR Native Extensions are also generally replaced by Cordova Plugins.

HTH,
[...]

Your posts via Nabble to [hidden email] are working.  I can see them without going to Nabble.

Something may be broken with Nabble and Royale.  I noticed you were trying users@royale.  Did you also try [hidden email]?  If not, give it a try, and also try directly sending an email instead of using Nabble.

-Alex

    https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2FQuestion-on-Migrating-from-Flex-to-FlexJS-td65514.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C532461892248464eb09508d645a79968%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636772983470391514&amp;sdata=Xk1EieutLb1l2Is7lwOzUcNqKkk2ruql4mVtpj3H3rs%3D&amp;reserved=0

    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C532461892248464eb09508d645a79968%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636772983470401518&amp;sdata=0I415cQsaR%2B25mHw1gBwxv6cDlf8YSUw3JeQrAYhbbQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
Hi Alex,

I see now at once all my attempts to Flex Users mailing list (I like to use
directly from Nabble, despite of the UI).

However, I still don't see any change no Royale Users mailing list:
http://apache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com/
Perhaps a issue related with permissions of my user (I have the registration
on Apache Flex foruns from a long time but my registration on Royale is
new).

About the questions:
You can generate an API Report by following these instructions:
https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/wiki/Generating-an-API-Report
R: Thank you. I will investigate that.

1) Apache Royale does have some support for FXG.  It might need improvement.
R: OK. I use FXG and love it.
2) AIR APIs are generally replaced by Cordova APIs/Plugins.  So see if
Cordova has suitable SQLite plugins.
R: OK.
3) AIR Native Extensions are also generally replaced by Cordova Plugins.
R: OK.

Seems that I have a long way to go thru ...
I Will do it on baby steps as a parallel project along with my development
that can't stop.

I did the same with my backend for convert from .NET Framework to .NET Core.
It took me an year but is now it's a reallity and stable to finally ready to
move.
I converted the code, check the conflit points. Found alternatives
compatible with both frameworks at put them in productions (allows to
garantee that works).
And on the very limit I ended up build new components and offer then to the
community (since it's not my core).

I will try do the same strategy the frontend (Flex to Royale), because after
what I see now, Royale seems to be a real thing now and it's not a alpha
product anymore (at least on the general concept).

I first experience (a very long time ago) was so bad that even to build a
simple test case was a nightmare but now I can.

The new components are very important as good foundations however the
emulation that you guys are working is the key for the success.
There are a lot of projects out there that without the emulation are
impossible to migrate (even so it's a hard work) and if this projects move
to Royale, the community will grow.
On my opinion, the version 1.0 should have the emulation as complete as
possible.

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

piotrz
Hugo,

I hope we will soon see some contributions from you, because this is quite
powerful. If something doesn't work for you you can fix it on your own. :)

Good Luck!
Piotr

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

I have never used Nabble other than to click on links to emails.  When you say "registration" what steps are you doing to register?  If you detail what steps you are taking I will try it using some other email address I have to see what happens and see if I can reproduce the problems you are having.  It would be a bad problem for Royale if folks cannot join us via Nabble.

When you write that the 1.0 Emulation Components should be as fully-compatible with Flex as possible, I feel compelled to keep reminding people that Royale is not an Adobe-led effort like Flex or even Cordova.  There is no plan for Adobe to try to make any money off of Royale, so  there is no team of Adobe employees trying to develop Royale.  I'm just here as a generous donation from Adobe to try to build a self-sustaining community of non-Adobe people at Apache.  So if you want maximum compatibility with Flex, you and others have to make that happen.  There is no way for me to do that by myself any time soon.  I would love to work on Royale for the rest of my career, but it is unlikely that Adobe will pay me to do that forever.  So everyone else who wants Royale to succeed must take it upon themselves to learn the code and contribute code.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

    https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-royale-users.20374.n8.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C1752a59686bd4468547808d646432f2c%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636773651702504677&amp;sdata=4vNOb3sV3xSMlYxuzepqEsUacLRSBqi929lJxuzTf5Y%3D&amp;reserved=0

    https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Froyale-asjs%2Fwiki%2FGenerating-an-API-Report&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C1752a59686bd4468547808d646432f2c%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636773651702504677&amp;sdata=PxcasCNSgv0C%2BGp9PzRLKk%2FkrOOf2uR9VdUaqB4a8io%3D&amp;reserved=0

    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C1752a59686bd4468547808d646432f2c%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636773651702504677&amp;sdata=7ReoVLVBX863OXFr15aiO4N6jdqGY3GRwXsx4JTL%2Fes%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
Yes, I'm having issues posting on Apache Royale foruns for some reason.
What I'm doing here is login in nable and create a post and works.

On Apache Royale foruns, I tried exactly the same.
Also tried to send e-mail directly to [hidden email] as a desperate
measure but always got errors but I would like to use nable.

Yes, I agree that the community should make that happens.
I hope I can contribute any time soon.

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Alex Harui-2
Does any other PMC member have time to use an unsubscribed email to see what happens?  Otherwise, I will try myself later.

-Alex

On 11/11/18, 1:55 PM, "hferreira" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Yes, I'm having issues posting on Apache Royale foruns for some reason.
    What I'm doing here is login in nable and create a post and works.

    On Apache Royale foruns, I tried exactly the same.
    Also tried to send e-mail directly to [hidden email] as a desperate
    measure but always got errors but I would like to use nable.

    Yes, I agree that the community should make that happens.
    I hope I can contribute any time soon.

    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Cf63ce04ccd6e4285015308d648205dc0%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636775701186428155&amp;sdata=0zlwize7iVlCSwc9zOSQkedTJkBPR18pspi6hA%2F1IYc%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

Andrew Wetmore
I sent a test message; will let you know what happens

http://cottage14.blogspot.com/

Re: Question on Migrating from Flex to FlexJS

hferreira
I tried to register of Users Apache Royale with a different e-mail account.
Got the activating e-mail as expected.
Tried to reply to a post (directly from the site) and this time received the
following e-mail message from [hidden email]:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at apache.org.

<[hidden email]>:
Must be sent from an @apache.org address or a subscriber address or an
address in LDAP.