SVN SSH Keys

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SVN SSH Keys

Omar Gonzalez
Hi everyone,

Has anyone successfully set up their SSH key for SVN? I've been looking
through the documentation online at Apache but I can't seem to find the
instructions to setting that up. All I could find was a sentence that said
upload your SSH key to a URL, I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to do that.

-omar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVN SSH Keys

El Koro
----- Original Message -----
From: "Omar Gonzalez" <[hidden email]>


> Has anyone successfully set up their SSH key for SVN? I've been looking
> through the documentation online at Apache but I can't seem to find the
> instructions to setting that up. All I could find was a sentence that said
> upload your SSH key to a URL, I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to do
> that.

Maybe the "Setting up SSH" section on
http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html  would help

Dimitri K.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVN SSH Keys

Omar Gonzalez
>
> Maybe the "Setting up SSH" section on http://www.apache.org/dev/new-**
>> committers-guide.html<http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html> would help
>
> Dimitri K.
>

I've read through that and I'm stuck on uploading the public key. I don't
have a .ssh folder in my folder and when I created one and placed my public
key in the folder I still had to enter a password when submitting a commit.
Are there any more specific instructions that anyone knows about?
Appreciate the help.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVN SSH Keys

Bertrand Delacretaz
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Omar Gonzalez
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe the "Setting up SSH" section on http://www.apache.org/dev/new-**
>>> committers-guide.html<http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html> would help
>>
> ...I've read through that and I'm stuck on uploading the public key. I don't
> have a .ssh folder in my folder and when I created one and placed my public
> key in the folder I still had to enter a password when submitting a commit.
> Are there any more specific instructions that anyone knows about?...

I *think* our svn requires passwords sent over HTTPS, usually your
client asks for a password the first time you use a new repository.

You could also ask on [hidden email] to check what the
current status is (and please let us know if you do).

SSH keys work for ssh [hidden email], not sure if they're
used for anything else that committers do.

-Bertrand

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVN SSH Keys

Omar Gonzalez
>
> I *think* our svn requires passwords sent over HTTPS, usually your
> client asks for a password the first time you use a new repository.
>

I've got SVN working with my updated password, this is fine was just hoping
to get an SSH key working so I didn't have to enter a password each time I
commit.


>
> You could also ask on [hidden email] to check what the
> current status is (and please let us know if you do).
>

I'll give this a try and let everyone know if it gets worked out.


>
> SSH keys work for ssh [hidden email], not sure if they're
> used for anything else that committers do.
>

I tried putting a .ssh folder with my public key in it but SSH'ing into the
server still asks me for a password even though the key is there. Not a big
deal, I don't want to spend a bunch of time trying to figure this out, its
more of a convenience thing.


>
> -Bertrand
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVN SSH Keys

Bertrand Delacretaz
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Omar Gonzalez
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Bertrand:
>> SSH keys work for ssh [hidden email], not sure if they're
>> used for anything else that committers do.
>>
>...
> I tried putting a .ssh folder with my public key in it but SSH'ing into the
> server still asks me for a password even though the key is there. Not a big
> deal, I don't want to spend a bunch of time trying to figure this out, its
> more of a convenience thing...

ssh -v [hidden email] might help find out what's wrong.

-Bertrand

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVN SSH Keys

Omar Gonzalez
>
> ssh -v [hidden email] might help find out what's wrong.
>
>
Thanks, I gave that a try. Seems its finding my SSH key on my laptop but it
doesn't seem to find the key I placed on the server. I created my own .ssh
folder in my user folder on the people.apache.org server but either I'm not
supposed to create that folder by hand or I'm missing something. I'll try
the infrastructure team tomorrow, its 3 am now so I'm probably missing
something simple.

-omar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVN SSH Keys

Bertrand Delacretaz
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Omar Gonzalez
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> ssh -v [hidden email] might help find out what's wrong.
>>
>>
> Thanks, I gave that a try. Seems its finding my SSH key on my laptop but it
> doesn't seem to find the key I placed on the server. I created my own .ssh
> folder in my user folder on the people.apache.org server but either I'm not
> supposed to create that folder by hand or I'm missing something...

You might be having too open permissions on those files, this works for me:

$ find .ssh -ls
 drwx------    2 bdelacretaz      bdelacretaz             4 Nov 17  2009 .ssh
 -rw-r--r--    1 bdelacretaz      bdelacretaz           798 Jan 29
2003 .ssh/authorized_keys
 -rw-r--r--    1 bdelacretaz      bdelacretaz          4212 Jun 27
2011 .ssh/known_hosts

-Bertrand