Tabnavigator (and future components)

Jonathan Campos
I would personally like to challenge people to make components as
lightweight and simple as possible rather than include the kitchen sink. If
the component is well made and easy to add features like "closable tabs"
then I think you have a win. If you have everything, and the extra code,
then I would think you went to far and spoiled the components.

Though the sandbox is a great place to show off crazy and wonderful
extensions to components with wacky add ons.

Re: Tabnavigator (and future components)

Michael Schmalle
Quoting Jonathan Campos <[hidden email]>:

> I would personally like to challenge people to make components as
> lightweight and simple as possible rather than include the kitchen sink. If
> the component is well made and easy to add features like "closable tabs"
> then I think you have a win. If you have everything, and the extra code,
> then I would think you went to far and spoiled the components.
>
> Though the sandbox is a great place to show off crazy and wonderful
> extensions to components with wacky add ons.

I sense your talking to me here all that would be proposed with
closeable tabs is in the ITabNavigator interface. closePolicy:String,
one property, implement it how you like.

It's really the TabBar that would be aware of the closePolicy and you
would make the default not aware with the kitchen sink. Still thinking
about how we could easily let people get to that added functionality
easily if it is something used a lot.

Mike

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Michael Schmalle <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I sense your talking to me here all that would be proposed with closeable
> tabs is in the ITabNavigator interface. closePolicy:String, one property,
> implement it how you like.

Definitely understand that it is just "one" property. We need to just be
very aware of each and every property that we track with each component. We
need to be sure that each property is very discussed as we need to worry
about the api that we create.

Jonathan Campos

Re: Tabnavigator (and future components)

Michael Schmalle
Quoting Jonathan Campos <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Michael Schmalle
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I sense your talking to me here all that would be proposed with closeable
>> tabs is in the ITabNavigator interface. closePolicy:String, one property,
>> implement it how you like.
>

> Definitely understand that it is just "one" property. We need to just be
> very aware of each and every property that we track with each component. We
> need to be sure that each property is very discussed as we need to worry
> about the api that we create.
>
> --
> Jonathan Campos

As far as these topics go, I don't have time for API debates. What I
will do in development of such features is a "review and commit" in my
whiteboard section.

I can see so much time being wasted on discussing things like this. I
think the "Apache Way" backs me up that if I'm not interested in these
discussions, I can do what I do with component development, then those
that have the time to discuss API will tell me or commit themselves
what they want from what I have been working on.

I don't have anybody to please other than the community, so I might be
the one that ends up doing some of the more asked about features but
say not as popular for larger companies that want a tight core SDK.

If there is any discussion that needs to be made it's about how we
create an extension framework for the kitchen skin.

Or are we going to fail once again with custom components/extensions
and have them spread all over the internet with different
implementations and dead OS accounts.

I have a blog post talking about this very issue, the I do have an opinion on.

Oh yeah, you had FlexLib, you know why that failed? Because it was
abandoned do to the fact users realized it had no ties to the SDK and
Adobe. We have a chance to start over and create a 3rd party component
echo system that is plugged into the Apache Flex project. If there was
a list of people that would want to see this happen, I would be on the
top of the list.

Mike

Re: Tabnavigator (and future components)

Jeffry Houser
On 1/7/2012 6:33 AM, Michael Schmalle wrote:

> Oh yeah, you had FlexLib, you know why that failed?

  Flexlib failed?  How are you defining failure.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Quoting Jeffry Houser <[hidden email]>:

> On 1/7/2012 6:33 AM, Michael Schmalle wrote:
>>
>> Oh yeah, you had FlexLib, you know why that failed?
>
>  Flexlib failed?  How are you defining failure.

No, I'm am sorry for saying that about the FlexLib (to early in the
morning) I meant the FlexComponent ecosystem perceived as a cohesive
whole as to sustain multiple tiers of development (sdk -> opensource
-> commercial).

Jeff, you sell components, I am talking about why do you sell them?
Are they just on your site for show? Why not donate all your
commercial components to the Flex Lib or this project? (Does that make
you feel something when I say that?, I have felt the same way for a
year)

I'm really trying to figure out if what I want as a developer will
even be attainable, this really determines how much time I can
actually put into Apache Flex.

I would be interested if you have any thoughts on this subject. I love
making components, I can make applications yeah, but I love making
components more. I think having different tiers of components could be
healthy and actual push the potential for more developers to move
forward that may have untapped skills.

Again, I did not mean FlexLib, that is doing well on GIT, I'm sure you
were looking at that saying what the heck is he talking about.

Mike

On 1/7/2012 9:11 AM, Michael Schmalle wrote:

> Quoting Jeffry Houser <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On 1/7/2012 6:33 AM, Michael Schmalle wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh yeah, you had FlexLib, you know why that failed?
>>
>>  Flexlib failed?  How are you defining failure.
>
> No, I'm am sorry for saying that about the FlexLib (to early in the
> morning) I meant the FlexComponent ecosystem perceived as a cohesive
> whole as to sustain multiple tiers of development (sdk -> opensource
> -> commercial).

  Oh, then yes I understand, and agree.  A commercial ecosystem around
Flex has not taken off.  I think there are a lot of reasons for this;
and I could probably write a lot about it.  [Is this the place for that?]

> Jeff, you sell components, I am talking about why do you sell them?

  I want to try to create a life for myself that does not revolve around
"traditional consulting".  Flextras was my first foray into the world of
product development/sales [that launched].  Flextras has become a nice
augment to DotComIt, but has not grown to the point where I'd like it to be.

> Why not donate all your commercial components to the Flex Lib or this
> project? (Does that make you feel something when I say that?, I have
> felt the same way for a year)

  I think it is either resoundingly brilliant or intensely foolish; but
I haven't figured out which yet; and I've been struggling with such
issues since before launching Flextras.

  How does it make you feel?  I'm not sure what emotion you thought it
may evoke in me.

> I would be interested if you have any thoughts on this subject.
  I could write a lot on the subject.  You should be able to piece
together my thoughts nicely by listening to all The Flex Show episodes
and the Flextras Friday Lunch recordings.  The subject of "business"
comes up routinely in both venues.  I assume no one wants to wade
through hundreds of hours of material to find the gems around this,
though?  If people really want me to elaborate here; I can.

> Again, I did not mean FlexLib, that is doing well on GIT, I'm sure you
> were looking at that saying what the heck is he talking about.
  I understand better now. ;)

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
http://www.flextras.com?c=104
http://www.theflexshow.com
http://www.jeffryhouser.com
http://www.asktheflexpert.com
--
Part of the DotComIt Brain Trust

Re: Tabnavigator (and future components)

Michael Schmalle
Jeff, thanks for your sincere replies, not I don't expect you to
elaborate any more than you have.

My thought, create an extension, branch what ever you call it of flex
component extensions that are officially supported by the committers
of Apache Flex (me, you and others). Have it merge in things from the
FlexLib, show the community that using components saves time and is
supported as a fundamental development ROI. This might actually
re-ignite the 3rd party ecosystem benefiting the people like you and I
that aren't quite satisfied with "traditional" consulting model.

Bottom line is I see the application side of the Flex SDK and the
component side. It would be interesting how we can peel this banana in
the future.

Thanks for your reply Jeff,
Mike