[VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

Michael Schmalle
Let's vote on this content so I can get the page up and started.

The contest last 1 week from the data of the rebranding.mb publishing
on our website.

Mike

Apache Flex Re-branding Initiative

On the 31th of December, 2011, the Apache Software Foundation has
accepted the Flex SDK into incubation. Apache Flex is now a community
project managed by Apache (ASF). The migration from Adobe to Apache
involves a re-branding and you can contribute by proposing the new
Apache Flex logo.

Your proposal will be published on the Flex Incubation website [link]
next to the other proposals and in [date-end] the community will
choose the new logo through voting on the Apache Flex Mailing List at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-flex-dev/.

GUIDELINES

The logo should meet the requirements below:

- two versions of the logo: a rectangle (full brand) and a square
(icon, for example)
- be prepared to be scaled up or down
- be able to translate to a 2 color look
   - 2 color (black/white, 2 greys, etc)
- be able to be inverted if running on a dark background
- should not resemble the current Adobe Flex logo
- it should comply with the Apache branding requirements at
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

INSPIRATION

While designing the logo, keep in mind what describes Flex:

- User Experience
- Ubiquity / Cross-platform
- Enterprise
- Community Driven
- Why are you developing with Flex?

DEADLINE

[date-end]

- A PNG version of the logo (and it's scalable variations)
- A ZIP file with all assets

LICENSE

The authors of the selected Apache Flex logo(s) will need to donate them to
the Apache Flex project according to the  Apache individual
contributor license: http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

Michael Schmalle
The below has been added to the draft;

Added;

Note: The design as accepted by popular vote will be treated as a
proposal that can be tweaked and cemented into it's final published
form.

UPDATED DRAFT

Apache Flex Re-branding Initiative

On the 31th of December, 2011, the Apache Software Foundation has
accepted the Flex SDK into incubation. Apache Flex is now a community
project managed by Apache (ASF). The migration from Adobe to Apache
involves a re-branding and you can contribute by proposing the new
Apache Flex logo.

Your proposal will be published on the Flex Incubation website [1]
next to the other proposals. On [date-end] the community will choose
the new logo through voting on the Apache Flex Mailing List at [2].

[...]

HOW TO CONTRIBUTE

Send to the Apache Flex Mailing List the links to: [2]

- A PNG version of the logo (and it's scalable variations)
- A ZIP file with all assets

LICENSE

The authors of the selected Apache Flex logo(s) will need to donate them to
the Apache Flex project according to the  Apache individual
contributor license: http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

Send to the Apache Flex Mailing List [2]

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/flex/rebranding/submissions.html

END UPDATED DRAFT

> Let's vote on this content so I can get the page up and started.
>
> The contest last 1 week from the data of the rebranding.mb
> publishing on our website.
>
> Mike

> Apache Flex Re-branding Initiative
>
> On the 31th of December, 2011, the Apache Software Foundation has
> accepted the Flex SDK into incubation. Apache Flex is now a
> community project managed by Apache (ASF). The migration from Adobe
> to Apache involves a re-branding and you can contribute by proposing
> the new Apache Flex logo.
>
> Your proposal will be published on the Flex Incubation website
> [link] next to the other proposals and in [date-end] the community
> will choose the new logo through voting on the Apache Flex Mailing
> List at http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-flex-dev/.
>
> GUIDELINES
>
> The logo should meet the requirements below:
>
> - two versions of the logo: a rectangle (full brand) and a square
> (icon, for example)
> - be prepared to be scaled up or down
> - be able to translate to a 2 color look
>   - 2 color (black/white, 2 greys, etc)
> - be able to be inverted if running on a dark background
> - should not resemble the current Adobe Flex logo
> - it should comply with the Apache branding requirements at
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
>

> INSPIRATION
>
> While designing the logo, keep in mind what describes Flex:
>
> - User Experience
> - Ubiquity / Cross-platform
> - Enterprise
> - Community Driven
> - Why are you developing with Flex?
>
> DEADLINE
>
> [date-end]

> - A PNG version of the logo (and it's scalable variations)
> - A ZIP file with all assets
>
> LICENSE
>
> The authors of the selected Apache Flex logo(s) will need to donate them to
> the Apache Flex project according to the  Apache individual
> contributor license: http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

Jun Heider

On Jan 7, 2012, at 12:25 PM, Michael Schmalle wrote:

> The below has been added to the draft;
>

> Added;

Executing my first +1 as a PPMC member. :)

Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

João Saleiro
+1 (non-binding)

But I would like to add a comment: we should publish the existing
proposals on the page where the contest is published (so they serve as
inspiration/guideline/motivation) and it would be nice if from time to
time (daily?) that page was updated with all the other proposals received.

João Saleiro

Quoting Jun Heider <[hidden email]>:

> On Jan 7, 2012, at 12:25 PM, Michael Schmalle wrote:
>
>> The below has been added to the draft;
>>

>> Added;

>> Note: The design as accepted by popular vote will be treated as a
>> proposal that can be tweaked and cemented into it's final published
>> form.

> Executing my first +1 as a PPMC member. :)

+1 as PPMC member, I still see two links that should have footnotes to
keep consistency I guess.

Didn't think about publishing links to the existing submissions but that's a very good idea.

Quoting João Saleiro <[hidden email]>:

> +1 (non-binding)
>
> But I would like to add a comment: we should publish the existing
> proposals on the page where the contest is published (so they serve
> as inspiration/guideline/motivation) and it would be nice if from
> time to time (daily?) that page was updated with all the other
> proposals received.
>
> João Saleiro

I had a question to myself about this, I will take charge of updating
the site if others don't' mind. I will put the submissions up in time
of received as to not favorite anything and place them under the
contest description. Separate section beneath the content.

Mike

Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

João Saleiro

> I had a question to myself about this, I will take charge of updating
> the site if others don't' mind. I will put the submissions up in time
> of received as to not favorite anything and place them under the
> contest description. Separate section beneath the content.
>
> Mike

I completely agree. If it doesn't take too much work, it would be nice
to see the images directly (centered vertically) and not just the links.
But I'm being picky :)

João Saleiro
@joaosaleiro

Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

Doug Arthur
My first official +1 here too as PPMC member! :-) Fun times.
On Jan 7, 2012 12:27 PM, "Jun Heider" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2012, at 12:25 PM, Michael Schmalle wrote:
>
> > The below has been added to the draft;
> >

> > Added;

> Executing my first +1 as a PPMC member. :)

Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

Randy Troppmann
+1 non-binding

Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

Jeffry Houser

  Here are a few mixed thoughts:

  I wonder if a site like Crowdspring or 99designs would be a suitable
venue for a contest like this?  I believe it would get the contest in
front of folks who are more design oriented than most programmers; and
already have built in facilities for voting on results and a crowd of
interested designers.

  Here is the CrowdSpring project I used to design the DotComIt logo at
CrowdSpring (
http://www.crowdspring.com/project/68345_logo-for-software-development-company/
) and a direct link to our formal RFP:
http://files.crowdspring.com/project_file/68416_Logo%20Design%20RFP%20V0.3.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAI3LSG4ZVTVQPOWJQ&Expires=1328400000&Signature=gPjeSzynul8KQCB6y4S1Wh%2Fudw0%3D

On 1/7/2012 2:25 PM, Michael Schmalle wrote:

> UPDATED DRAFT
>
> Apache Flex Re-branding Initiative
>
> On the 31th of December, 2011, the Apache Software Foundation has
> accepted the Flex SDK into incubation. Apache Flex is now a community
> project managed by Apache (ASF). The migration from Adobe to Apache
> involves a re-branding and you can contribute by proposing the new
> Apache Flex logo.
>
> Your proposal will be published on the Flex Incubation website [1]
> next to the other proposals. On [date-end] the community will choose
> the new logo through voting on the Apache Flex Mailing List at [2].

  The proposal as written, assumes Flex knowledge.   Assuming we want to
target designers with this, and that designers are not going to be Flex
knowledgeable, we should add a description of what Flex is.  Evey a 1-2
sentence description like this:

  "Flex is a framework for building Rich Internet and Mobile
Applications on Adobe's Flash Platform"

  added in there somewhere would give context to those ignorant.

> GUIDELINES
>
> The logo should meet the requirements below:
>
> - two versions of the logo: a rectangle (full brand) and a square
> (icon, for example)
> - be prepared to be scaled up or down
> - be able to translate to a 2 color look
>   - 2 color (black/white, 2 greys, etc)
> - be able to be inverted if running on a dark background
> - should not resemble the current Adobe Flex logo
> - it should comply with the Apache branding requirements at
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
>
> Note: The design as accepted by popular vote will be treated as a
> proposal that can be tweaked and cemented into it's final published form.
>
> INSPIRATION
>
> While designing the logo, keep in mind what describes Flex:
>
> - User Experience
> - Ubiquity / Cross-platform
> - Enterprise
> - Community Driven
> - Why are you developing with Flex?

  That last line made me think "Do we really want a Flex programmer
designing a logo?"
  When creating projects like this; I like to add emotions or values
that I think the design should convey; and this Inspiration section
seems to be getting at that.  I think this list is a good start, but
could be made more concrete.  I might tweak this list like this:

- Ubiquitous [or Positive or slick, or elegant, or..??]  or User Experience
- Enterprise Quality
- Community Driven

> DEADLINE
>
> [date-end]

  I also think the contest should be longer than a week.

> HOW TO CONTRIBUTE
>
> Send to the Apache Flex Mailing List the links to: [2]
>
> - A PNG version of the logo (and it's scalable variations)
> - A ZIP file with all assets

   When creating projects like this, I often put a "deliverable" section
which includes the "master files" which I would expect the deliverable
here to include either an illustrator file or a high res photoshop
file.  I might also specify that all rights to entries that aren't
chosen are retained by their creator.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

Peter Elst
+1 (binding)

- Peter

Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

Anne Kathrine Petterøe
+1 (binding)

/Anne

On 7 January 2012 22:07, Peter Elst <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 (binding)
>
> - Peter

Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

+1

Btw, great to see all the work done putting the rules of the contest so
quickly.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

Carlos Rovira
Mmmm...I forgot to say my + 1 os not binding :)

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

Iwo Banaś
+1 (binding)

Cheers,
Iwo Banas

On Jan 7, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Iwo Banaś wrote:

> +1 (binding)
>
> Cheers,
> Iwo Banas

I'm sure Bertrand can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we have enough binding +1 to call this voted?

Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

Tink
+1 (binding)

Tink

On 7 January 2012 23:02, Jun Heider <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm sure Bertrand can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we have enough binding +1 to call this voted?

The vote should run for 72 hours:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html -> the last sentence of
the "Expressing Votes: +1, 0, -1, and Fractions" section.

Once the vote is over, you can send a [RESULT] [VOTE] mail to the dev
list, summarising the votes (binding and non-binding)

For instance like this:

The vote passes with binding +1s from:
<list the names>

and a number of non-binding +1s, with no other votes.

/Anne

Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish

Nicholas Kwiatkowski
+1 (binding), but I think we need to make sure that submitters be cautious
of existing copyrighted materials.  It's an obvious subnote, but one I
think we have to mention (I've run into a LOT of people thinking that I
would take care of legal issues for logos they have designed for me).

-Nick

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Tink <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (binding)
>
> Tink
1234