another logo submission

Doug McCune
Howdy,

Apologies if there's a better way to submit logos (or if we're supposed to
wait until a proper contest is launched). Just subscribed to the list and
tried reading over the archives to see where things stand, as far as I
could tell it hadn't been decided whether submissions should happen via
this list, twitter, some wiki page, or something else. So here's mine
anyway.

http://dougmccune.com/apache_flex_logo.jpg

Keeping it pretty simple, the general motif is an arrow moving forward.
Flex devs need to move forward (ie with Apache), Flex itself needs to move
forward, and Flex should be moving the state of the art of web apps
forward.

And hello to all the list members. I'll try not to cause too much trouble,
keep fighting the good fight.

Doug

Re: another logo submission

Jun Heider

On Jan 8, 2012, at 5:30 PM, Doug McCune wrote:

> http://dougmccune.com/apache_flex_logo.jpg

That logo rocks and howdy Doug!

Re: another logo submission

Csomák Gábor
Love them, Doug! Both the two-tone black, and the apacheified are awesome!

2012/1/9 Jun Heider <[hidden email]>

> On Jan 8, 2012, at 5:30 PM, Doug McCune wrote:
>
> > http://dougmccune.com/apache_flex_logo.jpg
> >

> That logo rocks and howdy Doug!

Re: another logo submission

Carlos Rovira
Hi Doug, great work!.

The only problem that I see is the close similarity to Plex app (that btw
has a very similar name to Flex)

See this : http://www.plexapp.com/

El lunes 9 de enero de 2012, Csomák Gábor <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Love them, Doug! Both the two-tone black, and the apacheified are awesome!
>
> 2012/1/9 Jun Heider <[hidden email]>
>

>> On Jan 8, 2012, at 5:30 PM, Doug McCune wrote:
>>
>> > http://dougmccune.com/apache_flex_logo.jpg
>> >

>> That logo rocks and howdy Doug!

Re: another logo submission

Doug McCune
Ha! True regarding the plex similarity :) good find, I hadn't seen that
before, funny how that works.

Re: another logo submission

Rui D. Silva
Regarding Doug's logo proposal, Carlos Rovira said:

> The only problem that I see is the close similarity to Plex app (that
btw
> has a very similar name to Flex)
>
> See this : http://www.plexapp.com/

There's definitely some resemblance. Not too much, but just enough to make
it somewhat similar, at least in concept (I guess that anything that ends
in X will follow the same temptation... :) )

Yet, my main gripe with Doug's proposal (I love the general approach and
graphic quality, btw) is that Flex is harder to read and, while that may
not be too much of a problem, a clear identity goes a long way to build a
brand, especially when it's starting up. Plex app, while maintaining the
same concept actually deals a lot better with the legibility issue.

I know that the decision to move forward with a logo contest has been made
and I've kept myself a little bit off that discussion (and vote). As would
be expected I fully abide by the notion of lazy voting, so my vote is a
good as cast with a resounding +1. Yet, I think that graphic design is a
lot like coding and that collaborative work is also possible and, actually
desirable, especially in a community like ours. I was about to start some
conversation (public of course) with Carlos about his logo submission and
was tempted to do the same with Doug and I think that by working together
we could achieve something very cool.

So, what do I mean with all this seemingly inconsequential rambling? I'd
like that the contest would leave open the possibility that none of the
submitted logos would be selected (I'd say that the one that got the most
votes would still have to be approved by the PPMC by internal vote) and
that in that case we would propose the winner to work with us towards some
improvements on the submitted logo.

I am also perfectly comfortable with the rest of the group just saying that
I'm over-thinking this logo business and that I should shut up know, which
I'll do. For now ;)

Cheers,
Rui