re: coding conventions

Carlos Nazareno
Why not adopt the already existing official flex coding conventions &
best practices?

http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Coding+Conventions

This article already exists and is pretty well written.

Trust me on this, code format consistency is very important for people
with OCD and it matters ;)

I guess one of the biggest points of debate with current conventions
is opening curly braces: same line or drop to next line?

IMHO drop to next line with current conventions is better because it
helps line up blocks of code visually. There are of times when you
have to scroll through blocks of code that span hundreds of lines
(think gamedev, not enterprise) and it's very useful when wading
through those.

My 2c.

-Naz

--
carlos nazareno
http://twitter.com/object404
http://www.object404.com

Re: coding conventions

Joel Hooks

On Jan 7, 2012, at 18:16, Carlos Nazareno <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why not adopt the already existing official flex coding conventions &
> best practices?
>
> http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Coding+Conventions

Emphatically agree with this.

Re: coding conventions

Jonathan Campos
On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Joel Hooks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Coding+Conventions
>
> Emphatically agree with this.

I like this too. I've been keeping to this for a few years. Work will need
to be done to finish it up. It should be committed via SVN, not wiki
though. This should be something that is protected by the votes of the PMC.

Jonathan Campos

Re: coding conventions

Nicholas Kwiatkowski
I agree on keeping on the current conventions.  An added bonus is that all
of our editors (or at least the ones I use) have them setup as defaults, so
we don't have to worry about mucking with those preferences.   :)

-Nick

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Jonathan Campos <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Joel Hooks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Coding+Conventions
> >
> > Emphatically agree with this.
>

> I like this too. I've been keeping to this for a few years. Work will need
> to be done to finish it up. It should be committed via SVN, not wiki
> though. This should be something that is protected by the votes of the PMC.

> Jonathan Campos

Re: coding conventions

Sebastian Mohr-2
I also would be happy to move forward
with the existing Flex Coding Conventions:

http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Coding+Conventions

I would only extend these Coding Conventions with a few rules for Flex
3:

http://code.google.com/p/masuland/wiki/Flex3CodingConventions

... and Flex 4:

http://code.google.com/p/masuland/wiki/Flex4CodingConventions

-Sebastian

On Jan 8, 2012, at 7:15 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski wrote:

> I agree on keeping on the current conventions.  An added bonus is
> that all
> of our editors (or at least the ones I use) have them setup as
> defaults, so
> we don't have to worry about mucking with those preferences.   :)
>
> -Nick
>
> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Jonathan Campos
> <[hidden email]>wrote:

>>> Emphatically agree with this.
>>

>> I like this too. I've been keeping to this for a few years. Work
>> will need
>> to be done to finish it up. It should be committed via SVN, not wiki
>> though. This should be something that is protected by the votes of
>> the PMC.
>>
>> --
>> Jonathan Campos

Our first Sunday

El Koro
Hi everyone,

I wanted to use this relatively quiet Sunday moment here (Apache Flex, the
mailing-list that never sleeps) to express my gratitude about the first week
of the Apache Flex project.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has kind of an emotionnal investment
to Flex, added to a real investment in it, and who was really disturbed from
the events of Black November.

So this first week was very important for a lot of us, who needed a restored
hope, and were anxious to see how things were going to happen in this new
open model and era.
In my opinion, this week was a tremendous success in this regard, and is a
great seed to the project success, because not only we've already at least
shown that a lot of people cared about Flex, and his future, but also that a
good part of them are ready to invest their time and energy in moving Flex
forward.

And this week has also shown some really encouraging signs for this project,
between the impressive investment of people like Michael S. or the logo
designers, the honest and to-the-point responses of Alex concerning Adobe,
the ambitions of the Spoon guys and, above all, the will to accept to
disagree with each other within a respectful and forward-looking spirit.

Of course, I know that the hardest part is still ahead, and the true test
will come with real impactful decisions and deep disagreements.
But at least we're off to a great start, and we all deserve to enjoy that.

Last but not least, I especially wanted to thank Bertrand, our first mentor,
who, in my opinion, has made a "pixel-perfect" mentoring for now, from the
proposal and vote handling to this first week set up and support.
I really think that Apache Flex is lucky to have been gifted such a
forward-oriented, conflict-resolving and pragmatic mentor, and the fact that
we're already working on Flex future only less than 3 week after the
Proposal is a testament of the great work he's done.

So thank you all for the life you've already breathed into this project, and
I hope my "French Sunday morning thoughts to English" prose was not too hard
to read.

Have a nice Sunday (be it with families, friends or bits of code), and long
live to Apache Flex.

Dimitri K.

Re: Our first Sunday

Carlos Rovira
Great words Dimitri! :)

I think this feelings are shared by all of us :)

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: coding conventions

Alex Harui

On 1/8/12 12:26 AM, "Sebastian Mohr" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would only extend these Coding Conventions with a few rules for Flex
> 3:

I only skimmed the Flex 3 one, but I see a couple of issues:

1) you recommended tabs in CSS where I think we use spaces throughout.
2) you want properties before constructor in AS files where we do static
things before the constructor
3) I don't like requiring order of MXML attributes unless we require
one-per-line which I don't like either, because then small changes can
result in more diffs showing up as attributes are forced to other lines.

I appreciate the desire for exactness and consistency, but unless you can
express all of these rules in a tool, it gets to the point where it slows
down progress.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: coding conventions

Sebastian Mohr-2
Both conventions, for Flex 3 and Flex 4, are very similar.

> 1) you recommended tabs in CSS where I think we use spaces throughout.
Well ... I prefer tabs everywhere, because, a tab requires less
characters to keep the indention in order.

> 2) you want properties before constructor in AS files where we do
> static
> things before the constructor
I could live with that, too :)

> 3) I don't like requiring order of MXML attributes unless we require
> one-per-line which I don't like either, because then small changes can
> result in more diffs showing up as attributes are forced to other
> lines.

For me ... ordering MXML attributes makes MXML code more readable.
Furthermore, the more lines you have in a MXML files the less
conflicts I had when merging code in a Flex developer team.

- Sebastian

Re: Our first Sunday

Bertrand Delacretaz
On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Dimitri k. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...Last but not least, I especially wanted to thank Bertrand, our first mentor,
> who, in my opinion, has made a "pixel-perfect" mentoring for now, from the
> proposal and vote handling to this first week set up and support...

Thanks Dimitri - I've been quite active so far as getting the project
off the ground is part of my role as a champion - and I happened to
work through most of the holiday period this year as well. But you've
probably noticed lots of good things from the other mentors as well, I
think we have a great mentors team here [1].

I expect to quietly fade in the background as the PPMC starts taking
over this project, and as far as I can see this is progressing very
nicely!

-Bertrand

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/flex/team.html